Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34047 - 12/18/03 11:07 PM stacking on 7100
ernda1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

This is a nice forum--you guys allow stupid nube questions without flames--its appreciated. My question is regarding stacking a component on the 7100. I know its generally not good to stack for heat/ventilation issues but I have very limited room. Is there some sort of stable "spacer" I can use to stack one component (vcr, whatever) on the 7100 to allow enough of an air gap between the two so the 7100 can ventilate? This is in a cabinet open to the front only. Any ideas? Thanks!

#34048 - 12/19/03 08:15 AM Re: stacking on 7100
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's not likely to be condoned by Outlaw or any other manufacturer, but I've also thought about the idea of a spacer like this. I wouldn't do it with anything heavy (no receiver or pre/pro, but a VCR, cable box, or lightweight DVD player might be OK), I'd want at least an inch and a half or so of clearance above the amp to give it breathing room, and the spacer would need to be able to handle a certain amount of heat (metal or wood should be OK, but plastic or rubber might start to do funny things) since it'll be in contact with the top of the amp. In order to achieve a minimum sort of clearance, I ended up adding a shelf to my own overly crowded equipment rack. If you can't add a shelf, maybe some short lengths of wood (located clear of the vents in the 7100's top as much as possible) would be worth a try. The best bet, though, it to give the 7100 its own shelf and shift other stuff onto other shelves.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#34049 - 12/19/03 09:53 AM Re: stacking on 7100
ernda1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I was thinking of something that would have leg supports wide enough to clear the 7100 so the weight would be supported by the shelf and not the 7100--sort of like a four legged table with the 7100 under the table. I don't know.

#34050 - 12/19/03 10:24 AM Re: stacking on 7100
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You could probably build something like that (two thin boards with a shelf above them, with the load carrying down the side boards and the cabinet on either side to bear some of the lateral load if the boards try to bow out), but if you are already in a rack it might be easier to add a shelf to the rack by drilling in some holes and getting some extra shelf support pins -- assuming that particular shelf support method works with your cabinet.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#34051 - 12/19/03 10:37 AM Re: stacking on 7100
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Another idea to consider: while it may be contrary to common aesthetics, perhaps support the 7100 above the other equipment in a stack, assuming the 7100 will generate the most heat of any gear in the stack. With the top of the 7100 unobstructed, the concern is allowing air in from underneath. If you are building a standing or hanging support of some type, you might construct it such that there is support (Side-to-side? Front-to-back?) only in the area of the feet (with some room for movement without allowing the 7100 to fall) rather that a continuous surface. I’m sure the Outlaws designed the 7100 with the idea that it would sit on a continuous surface, but given the option, why not allow an even better flow of air? Just make sure the materials/construction can support the weight without risk of injury or damage.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts