Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33999 - 09/29/03 12:37 AM Need help setting up my new 7100 please....
petalas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Hampton Falls, NH USA
Hi, I' trying to hook up my new 7100 amp to a Yamaha 5.1 receiver. No problems with the main 5 speakers - but here's where it gets tricky. I have two sets of speakers for which I have no pre-out for on my amp. They have been sitting idle until now. Since these speakers are outside and in my kitchen, they aren't the most important in terms of sound quality, etc. but they are inefficient and I'd like to drive them using the last two channels of the 7100 amp (using a speaker selector box, of course.)

My question is this: Can I use one of the "Y" RCA adaptors that split the signal into two between my Yamaha receiver and the 7100 amp without damaging the amp or worse, degrading the quality of the original signal that was supposed to go to one of the main 5 speakers at the amplifier? If this works, I'd be psyched because I don't have a Zone 2 output section on my amp and would love to find an easy way to get these extra speakers to run with good power and not jeopardize the main rooms' speakers. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Steve

#34000 - 09/29/03 01:01 PM Re: Need help setting up my new 7100 please....
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I would try something like this instead. The Y connector idea I think would be bad for the amp. Somebody else might explain why.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F008%5F000&product%5Fid=40%2D240

#34001 - 10/09/03 03:01 PM Re: Need help setting up my new 7100 please....
BleakShore Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Herndon, VA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by petalas:
My question is this: Can I use one of the "Y" RCA adaptors that split the signal into two between my Yamaha receiver and the 7100 amp without damaging the amp or worse, degrading the quality of the original signal that was supposed to go to one of the main 5 speakers at the amplifier?

Absolutely. There is no reason whatsoever why you cannot do this. You will not damage the Yammy (preouts) nor the amp. There should be no signal degradation due to splitting as the 7100 input impedance is plenty high, and your Yammy wouldn't even feel it.

The RS speaker selector - I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole.

Use those extra 2 channels for the remote speakers. BTW, the Y splitter idea is routinely applied for using the two extra channles for bi-amping. Whether bi-amping improves the sonic quality is an entirely different matter.

Regards,

[This message has been edited by BleakShore (edited October 09, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts