Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33889 - 05/09/03 12:34 AM Power switch & indicator switch
Xyzfla Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oldsmar,FL,USA
While awaiting the arrival of my new 7100 I'm reading the manual posted on the web site. I have several questions for you lucky folks that have one.

1) Power switch. The 7100 "Gallery" shows a rear view of the amp with a "master switch" but the manual doesn't show or mention this switch. Seems to indicate just a front panel switch. Which is it?
2) There doesn't seem to be any indicator lamp on the front panel. Does the button light up? Does it indicate "operate" & "standby"?
3) This will be my first amp where I use a trigger cable. I also ordered the 950. Does a trigger cable come with either product or is this a Radio Shack item?
4) How warm/hot does the amp run? I'm planning on putting the amp in a cabinet. It will have lots of space around it but not that much airflow.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Xyzfla (edited May 09, 2003).]

#33890 - 05/09/03 04:57 PM Re: Power switch & indicator switch
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Since you ordered the 950/7100 combo, it should be very simple, in that scenario (assuming it’s the same as my 950/770 combo.

1). The ‘master switch’ is your main power switch (on the back) which cuts current to your amp from the wall.
2) The green ‘lit’ button on the front faceplate is for Power/standby mode. It being lit indicates that A) your main master switch on the back panel is ‘on’ and B) the standby switch on the front is set to the ‘on’ mode.
3). If you ordered the combo pkg., I can’t remember which box (950 or 770) it came in. But a trigger will come with one or the other.
4). My experience with the 770 is that the amp when in use for long periods of time can get pretty warm, although it has never gone to a heat level that would concern me. Your headroom above the amp is the most critical. So if you have adjustable shelves set the shelf where the most room around the amp is above it. It’s the chimney effect with heat. I have a custom cabinet with open face and open back. Although with all components in the rack, it gives the equivalent of a pretty solid face. Was still concerned as the amp shelf due to height restrictions on the cabinet upon which my display rests did not give the headroom I wanted (above the amp before next shelf up) to dissipate heat. Husband added into his design, 2 rectangular opening on the outer sidewalk of the cabinet. One opening opposite the bottom shelf the amp sits on (due to its weight) at the top edge of that area, and one opposite the 950 which sits directly on a shelf above. He inserted 2 metal screens (computer rack supplies) into the rectangular holes for a completely finished look. You can feel the heat rising out of both screens at almost breeze level when the system is on a while. I would to hate to think of the heat I would have left in the cabinet to make a slower path out front/back, without these additional outlets we added as an afterthought.

After cabling:
When you install the trigger turn your main power ‘master’ switch to on position (back of 7100).
Turn your ‘power/standby’ switch to on (front of 7100).
Once the system is set up this way the standby button itself on the front of the 7100 glows green at all times. (I can’t see the ‘glow’ in daylight but can at night).

When the amp senses the request through the ‘trigger’ from your prepro. It comes on line at full power, as soon as the request is gone it will shortly go back into ‘wait’ mode. . It will stay cold in standby (to the touch) once it has cooled down from ‘full power’ operation

xyzfla, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase, mine has brought many happy hours!

#33891 - 05/09/03 06:49 PM Re: Power switch & indicator switch
Xyzfla Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oldsmar,FL,USA
SLL - thank you for your helpful post. I'll post how it all works out.

Thanks again

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts