Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3389 - 01/07/03 09:45 PM YAY...I'm, in!!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings from NJ, USA. I ordered my 1050 today and can't wait to juice it up!! I'm a Home Theater newbie but can definitely discern good sound from bad. The *first* thing I did was to order the 1050. Then I went and picked up a pair of b&w DM604s and two 20-foot Monster cables with gold banana plugs. Next, I'll look around for center speaker and rears (b&ws). Then, a sub if I need one. Lastly, a separate 2-channel 150w amp to drive the fronts, if needed. All in that order...as and when I get comfortable with stuff...

)

#3390 - 01/08/03 09:05 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Welcome to the outlaw clan. Enjoy you new toy and I am betting you won't be needing that 150watt amp any time soon. B&W 604s are sweet. I have Nautilus 805's but I was torn between the two. BTW I'm in NJ also where did you get your B&W's ?

#3391 - 01/08/03 09:46 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
desperado -- not to wander too far off the topic (welcome aboard, TheDeep!), but how do you like the Nautilus 805's? I've got a co-worker who is considering replacing some 20-year-old KEF References with 805's but can't decide if he should try to step up to the 804's to get something closer to full-range.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3392 - 01/08/03 10:27 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
desperado -- not to wander too far off the topic (welcome aboard, TheDeep!), but how do you like the Nautilus 805's? I've got a co-worker who is considering replacing some 20-year-old KEF References with 805's but can't decide if he should try to step up to the 804's to get something closer to full-range.

Pardon me whilst I wander a bit....
I am very happy with the 805's. I am not really well versed on the terminology of describing speaker sound but my best description is very natural. I found the 805's pushed the improvement I found when I switched from a Sony receiver to the 1050 one more notch. I started hearing detail in my music that I never noticed before. I even found several CD's that I don't like that much anymore because the detail is revealing flaws in the CD I never noticed before. I compared the 805's to the entire 600 series and found them to be warmer and more detailed. I selected the 805's over the 804's mostly because I preferred their footprint and because the 805's with the HTM2 and the stands was already about $1000 over my desired budget. I have a small apartment so I preferred the smaller speakers. The cost is very close if you are going to purchase the stands for the 805's.

For a completely honest opinion I would have to add that the only negative I find with these speakers is they are a little directional. I had to put a lot of effort into placing them in my room for the optimal sound. Perhaps because my room is small and I am close to the speakers. I found the 600 series didn't do this when I was tried them at the store. When the 600's were playing I didn't know which speaker in the lineup I was listening to until I got very close to them to check. With the 805's if I am not in the sweet spot I find I can hear the speaker I am closest too much more causing a noticeable degrade in the sound stage. I really preferred the sound of the 805's so I decided to accept this issue and deal with it by placing the speakers more carefully. I don't know if the 804's have the same effect.

As for the range of these speakers I haven't found anything they can't handle. I don't even have a subwoofer so I set the crossover on the 1050 to 60Hz and I am very happy with the base I am getting from the 1050's. The main difference in the 805's and the 804's is that the 805's have a single driver handling both the base and the midrange. This driver is surrounded by a rubber ring to allow it to handle both tasks better without distortion. The 804's have the same driver without the ring handling the midrange and then have two separate speakers handling the base. For the difference in the price considering the stands I would probably opt for the 804's if I had to make the decision now. If course as always the best way for him to decide is going to be to get some good sample CD's that test the range and test drive the speakers in a side by side comparison.

#3393 - 01/08/03 01:03 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the welcome! I can barely wait to get it all juiced up! I just *hope* the 1050 can drive the DM604s adequately and be able to deliver crisp sound at high volumes.

I picked the 604s in a private sale. Got myself a pair of pristine 604s and two 20-foot Monster cables with gold banana plugs - all for $380! Is that sweeeet or what

If I could afford it, I would have gone with Nautilus or Martin Logan but money is very tight right now, so I'm busy scavenging in seriously El Cheapo mode

[This message has been edited by TheDeep (edited January 09, 2003).]

#3394 - 01/08/03 01:17 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
charlie Offline
Desperado

Sounds like you're off to a great start. I'm pretty much in the same mode, for slightly different reasons. Money isn't all that tight, but I needed a cheap (but decent) way to get experience in multi-channel and HT before I commit a lot of $$$. Having the cash and having the cash to throw away are completely different things. I figure later I can sell the 1050 or relegate it to a secondary system and not be out a ton of money, and at the same time I'm learning a lot of the first hand lessons you just can't really learn any other way.

The 1050 has been so good I've actually put off the upgrade and done a few other things since upgrading seems less important than I thought. Hope your experience is positive too.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited January 08, 2003).]

#3395 - 01/08/03 01:28 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Wow ! Sweet deal indeed. If I could have picked up a pair of 604's for $350 I never could have justified the 805's either. I would not mind that deal at all.

Your 1050 is going to drive the 604's just fine. I am sure you will be quite pleased.

[This message has been edited by desperado (edited January 08, 2003).]

#3396 - 01/08/03 04:20 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I got mine today and all I can say is WOW, what a deal, this receiver puts out alot more than the 65 watts, well built too! Should be more than $500 for this powerhouse. I am well pleased. Now to tweak it..

#3397 - 01/09/03 12:27 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

why do i get the feeling that some of the guys on here are Outlaw employees? No brainer..I'm sure that's that's the case since this is on an Outlaw site...........oh well

#3398 - 01/09/03 12:32 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Nope, I think that those here simply own Outlaw products and are enthusiastic about the performance and value for dollar. I don't work for them - they wouldn't have me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts