Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33861 - 03/08/03 07:07 PM My long winded review!
Frank Z Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Colorado
Well guy’s I was finally able to spend some quality time with my new Outlaw 7100 amp. I was quite impressed! Now I guess that I should point out that before buying this amp I did audition some others, and researched a bunch more. The outlaw was a kind of a gamble in some respects because I was not able to audition it before buying it. I finally decided to take the plunge after reviewing the 30 day return policy, over and over and over again!

The addition of a separate amp really added a great deal to the overall sound quality in my HT. My Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX was doing a pretty good job of powering the Lsi series speakers, but it is rated for speakers that are 6 to 16ohms nominal. Yes I did notice an increase in the heat generated by the receiver.

The Outlaw performed beautifully from the start! Imaging was always great, and it’s even better now! I guess the best way to describe the sound of the new amp is “average.” No I do not mean that in a negative way, quite the opposite actually! I really did not detect any substantial change in the mid’s, or high end at all. What I did notice was that the sound that was now coming out of my 4 ohm speakers did not seem, I dunno, strained is the only word I can think of that fits. Kind of like the receiver was having a tough time before adding the amp. Does that make sense to anyone? I was concerned that a $900 7 channel amp would not sound as good as an amp costing a great deal more, I worried needlessly.

If it helps, or matters, the source material included CD’s, SACD’S, DVD-A, DTS, and of course a little vinyl! I listened to rock, jazz, blues, classical, and even an old Techno-pop CD (I’m so ashamed!). I played around with some of the DSP modes just to get an idea of what the amp would/could do in conjunction with the receiver. I quickly remembered why I don’t use the DSP modes for music…What the Hell was I thinking!

Tonight I’ll try a few movies at ear splitting levels...Just cuz!

Final thoughts….This is a great amp! I am very happy with it’s performance!

BTW, don’t be surprised to see this post on other forums, cut & paste is the only to go!

------------------
My HT

#33862 - 03/09/03 02:48 AM Re: My long winded review!
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Good to hear! And I do indeed know what you mean when you say it sounds less "strained"

My Elite receiver doesnt come close to what my new 200 M-blocks can muster. I feel the same way you do

Enjoy!

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#33863 - 03/12/03 06:43 PM Re: My long winded review!
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
Had my 950/7100 for more than a week but did not have time to really listen to the system (due to 2 sons ages of 11 months and 3 years). Finding time alone to enjoy music is almost impossible.

From what I can tell so far, the 7100's bass is deep and fuller than my previous Pioneer Elite 07TX. Mid's and high's also seems better in terms of clarity (or is it because I now pay more attention to the quality of the sound since this is a new system?).

It was not a "WOW" kind of improvement but I still like the 950/7100 better than the old Elite. By the way all my speakers are Paradigm's except for the Def Tech sub.

The 1.2m PCA cables are nice and well built, but they are difficult to handle inside my enclosed cabinet where access is from the front only. I may have to replace them with something more flexible.

That's my limited input until I have a chance to listen more.

[This message has been edited by JkFruit (edited March 13, 2003).]

#33864 - 03/31/03 03:51 PM Re: My long winded review!
TANGO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jenison, MI, United States
Frank Z and JkFruit... just wanted to ditto your comments... had my 950/7100 about 2 weeks... WOW love it...wish I had more listen time, too.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts