Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33840 - 03/07/03 12:33 AM 12v trigger problem
Frank Z Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Colorado
My new 7100 arrived today and I hooked it up right away only to find that the 12v trigger is not functioning properly! The amp will not come on automatically when I turn on my receiver, but it will power up when I remove the 3.5mm plug from the jack in the amp itself. The amp will not turn on though if I leave the plug in the amp and remove the other end from the receiver's 12v trigger output. Double & triple checked the connections and found everything hooked ur properly. The 12v trigger on the receiver worked perfectly with the 2 channel amp that was removed when the 7100 was connected, so I'm 99.999% sure that the problem is in the 7100 and not in the receiver.

Anyone else having any problems like this?

I know it seems like a minor thing to some, but this is the first time I have ordered a piece of Home Theater electronics off the net without having the chance to audition it first.

------------------
My HT

#33841 - 03/07/03 10:15 AM Re: 12v trigger problem
want2buy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
to heck with the trigger, how does the damn thing sound???
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#33842 - 03/07/03 10:16 AM Re: 12v trigger problem
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
What is the trigger output (voltage and amps) of your reciver. I have a 1050 reciver and its trigger voltage is not great enough to trigger my Monster 2500 and Monster 3000 power conditioners. I am using a Niles OTI-512(?) to bump up the voltage and that works fine.

#33843 - 03/07/03 10:45 AM Re: 12v trigger problem
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Frank Z,

There are two separate things that could be happening here.

The first is that your receiver and amplifier may be "out of time". Please follow these steps to get your trigger connection "in time".

1) With no trigger connection made and the Pioneer in stand-by mode, press the green stand-by button on the 7100 so that it is in the on position.

2) Plug the trigger cable into the receiver.

3) Plug the trigger cable into the 7100.

4) Test.

The other possibility is that the Pioneer receiver provides an inadequate level of output to power the 7100 on. However, this is less likely than the first cause.

Let us know how you make out.

Scott

#33844 - 03/07/03 12:50 PM Re: 12v trigger problem
Frank Z Offline
Gunslinger

Well after going over the manuals for my receiver and for the new amp, as well as taking some output voltage measurements I figured out that the trigger on my receiver will not work with the trigger input on the 7100 amp. No problem though, I simply added a 12v DC converter to one of the switched outlets on my receiver and plugged it into the amp ( same as outlined in the 7100 manual), works fine now.

As for how it sounds, I have not had a great deal of time to do any real critical listening yet. My initial thoughts are that the amp does a great job of powering my Polk Lsi's, which are 4ohm nominal. I will start another thread after I've had a chance to listen to it some more.

------------------
My HT

#33845 - 03/07/03 03:34 PM Re: 12v trigger problem
want2buy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Keep us posted. I'm running some old polk ls90's. I hooked up a yammy rx-v1 the other day and it made a marked improvement over the my 85w denon. I figure the outlaw should sound marginally better than the yammy. What were you running before the outlaw?
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#33846 - 03/07/03 08:49 PM Re: 12v trigger problem
Frank Z Offline
Gunslinger

Before hooking up the 7100 I used my Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX receiver and a Pioneer Elite M-10X 2 channel amp for the rear channels in my HT. The receiver is not rated to handle 4 ohm speakers so I decided to get a 7 channel amp and use the receiver for Pre/Pro duty until I can afford the Pre-amp that I want.

------------------
My HT

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM