Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3362 - 01/04/03 12:24 AM Unique system, would a 1050 be a good start?
Hop Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Indianapolis, IN USA
I have a somewhat unique setup & need some help deciding if a 1050 would do the trick.

What I have now is:
RCA DTV300 61" HDTV w/ built in DirecTV/ATSC tuner.
Carver C1 preamp.
Carver M500t power amp (251 Watts x 2 into 8 Ohms, 0.05% thd).
Martin Logan Sequel electrostatic speakers (I'll worry about buying the other speakers later).
And a not hooked up RCA 100 Watt powered sub laying around somewhere too.

The TV sound and SAT sound both come out a single Toslink connector. Can I program the 1050 to use the same optical input for both TV & SAT? If not, is there such a thing as a Toslink splitter?

I don't think the internal amp is big enough for the Martin Logans. Can I set the internal amp for 3 ch.mode and use preouts to my Carver M500t to power the mains?

Thanks for the help!
John

#3363 - 01/04/03 10:34 AM Re: Unique system, would a 1050 be a good start?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally posted by Hop:
The TV sound and SAT sound both come out a single Toslink connector. Can I program the 1050 to use the same optical input for both TV & SAT? If not, is there such a thing as a Toslink splitter?

You can select the same optical input for more than one source. The 1050 lets you select any of the optical/coax inputs for each source selected. You can download the 1050 manual from this site which may help you understand all it's capabilities. FYI: Although you don't need it for this reason there is a optical splitter available from Radio Shack for $10.
Quote:

I don't think the internal amp is big enough for the Martin Logans. Can I set the internal amp for 3 ch.mode and use preouts to my Carver M500t to power the mains?
The 1050 does have a 3 channel mode and I assume it will feed the preouts in this mode however I am not positive since I don't use my pre-outs. I will tell you however that the 1050 has more power than its rating suggests. I am powering some pretty inefficient B&W nautilus speakers (87db) with no problem. I don't know about electrostatic speakers. The outlaw support can easily help you with this one.

#3364 - 01/04/03 01:26 PM Re: Unique system, would a 1050 be a good start?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You can use the internal amp for some channels and the pre-amp outputs to feed an amp for some other channels, so you could easily use your Carver M500t to drive the ML's and let the 1050's amp handle the rest.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3365 - 01/04/03 03:54 PM Re: Unique system, would a 1050 be a good start?
Hop Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Indianapolis, IN USA
Thanks guys! I'll take a look at that manual. It sounds like it should work fine. The TV doesn't have any HDTV inputs other than ATSC (1 of the first HDTV sets sold) so I won't have to worry about having a bunch of I/O on the receiver.

desperado-
What are you using for rear & center speakers since your fronts are about as power hungry as the ML's? Did you have any trouble ballancing the sound?

I'm thinking of in-ceiling mounting the rear speakers.

#3366 - 01/04/03 05:27 PM Re: Unique system, would a 1050 be a good start?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally posted by Hop:
desperado-
What are you using for rear & center speakers since your fronts are about as power hungry as the ML's? Did you have any trouble ballancing the sound?

I have the B&W HTM2 for the center which is just as power hungry as the main speakers so they are evenly matched. For the rear speakers I have Pardigm Atom's which are less power hungry. There is no trouble balancing the sound since the 1050 is configurable for the Main, Center, Rear and rear center speakers. I had no problem making the 1050 sound great and very balanced. I have had no problems with power. I usally have the volumn at about 55 and it's max is 80 I think. Before I got the B&W's I had cheaper speakers which were more effecient and usually listened at around 45 for the same volumn I get now at 55. I suspect you will have no problem with the 1050. But as Gonk points out you can let your Carver amp help out if necessary.

[This message has been edited by desperado (edited January 04, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts