Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33589 - 05/12/05 04:20 PM Klipsch reference
Trekkie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wake Forest, NC
My amplifier after almost 6 years of use has started flaking out, and I'm looking at a whole upgrade from a Sony TA-N9000ES.

I've got the Klipsch Reference 3 series of speakers. I'm guessing based on teh FAQs that other than avoiding a situation where if something breaks (knock on wood) there's no real advantage for my speaker setup.

I've heard of 'bi-amping' where using two monoblocks to drive the front speakers, but would that do anything worth the investment? with the 7 with one free + free shipping option I was thinking I could bi-amp the front speakers until I add speakers 6 & 7... but I could be nuts as I don't really listen to things LOUD anymore since I have a 3 year old and 1 year old in the house.

#33590 - 05/12/05 04:21 PM Re: Klipsch reference
Trekkie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wake Forest, NC
argh meant to post that as a reply to another thread, my bad. This was a '770 vs. 7x200s' type of thread

#33591 - 05/12/05 04:38 PM Re: Klipsch reference
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Passive biamping (where you split the output of the pre-amp and connect those two lines directly to the amps) is generally considered to only provide additional power - something along the lines of getting two 100W amps to drive a speaker that would otherwise warrant a 200W amp. Active biamping (where the output of the pre-amp is routed through a crossover circuit designed to match the speaker and the speaker's internal crossovers are removed from the signal path) is said to offer some additional benefits, but the knowledge required to properly implement an active biamping system is significant - something along the lines of "if you have to ask how to do it, you might not want to go trying it." With Klipsch speakers, you probably would not need to biamp.

#33592 - 05/12/05 07:30 PM Re: Klipsch reference
NewBuyer Offline
Gunslinger

Hi gonk,

Just wondering:

I have been often advised that higher amounts of quality power can make a good speaker sound noticeably better at low listening volumes.

So with this in mind, passive biamping of a biwireable speaker can in fact be a very good thing, yes?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 169 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts