Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33449 - 03/01/05 05:49 PM M200 Quirks or Problems?
Mike S Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Do any of you have the following problems with the M200:

(1)Low level hiss from speakers...can hear from a few feet away?

(2)Bottom plate separating/bowing?

(3)Buzzzing sounds from Transformer?

(4)Auto turn on (music mode) too sensitive...turns on at random times even with receiver off?

Does this amp need to be re-worked/updated by the Outlaw R&D department? The 950 went through some mods and now is pretty close to ideal!

#33450 - 03/01/05 06:30 PM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
Eddie Horton Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
My experience with them has been positive. I get a slight amount of hiss from all my 5 speakers, but you have to get within an inch or two to hear it. The M-200's don't have anything to do with that in my case because only the front 3 are driven by M-200's; the surrounds are driven by a Yamaha receiver. The bottom plates of my 3 look perfectly normal, but I have seen pics of some that had some bowing. Transformer buzz is there, but not picked up at the listening position. In my case, I can't hear it unless I come within a foot of the top plate of the amps. And lastly, I've had zero problems with the auto turn-on mode. My amps have never came on without the receiver being on.

#33451 - 03/01/05 08:29 PM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've experienced none of these with my M200's, although I don't use the music mode (mine are switched on and off by my Panamax's switched outlet). The M200 is a great amp, deserving of sitting alongside Outlaw's multichannel amps.

#33452 - 03/01/05 08:37 PM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
MacDog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NC
I haven't had any problems with mine either.

#33453 - 03/02/05 07:17 AM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
Mike S Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That is all good news! I am getting ready to pull the trigger on (7) M200's...but after reviewing the forums I had reservations.

#33454 - 03/02/05 04:11 PM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
musiciseverything Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
Like those above, I have not had any of those problems. I do have a minimum amount of hiss from my speakers if I am up very close, but I did also with my Denon receiver, and my ADCOM multichannel amp. None of the other problems. I am very happy with mine (5 M200s). Good luck with your decision.

#33455 - 03/02/05 08:18 PM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I used to have 1, 3 and 4, but nothing now with the computer on another circuit and a 950 for the processing. Moving the computer got rid of the noise and the 950 ended the random on/off they used to do. The speakers don't do it anymore either, powered subs in the towers w/indicator light. I have always had the M200's set to music mode.

#33456 - 03/03/05 08:08 PM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
ScottH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Remember that people with problems come to the forums, many people with no problems never post, so I wonder just how prevalent some of these problems are (not that it’s consoling if it’s you with the problem).

I haven't heard of many having the bottom plate problem (besides me), and Outlaw offered to fix it for me. It’s a stamped metal plate, and only a cosmetic issue (and in the back of the amp), so I put it on the back burner. I began to have a problem with one of my other amps, I got a static sound and it would drop out intermittently. I sent two amps back to Outlaw for service (the intermittent problem and the worst bottom plate). Steve recommended FedEx ground as the most economical way to send the amps to them (it cost $7.50 each). They tightened up the bottom plate, but Steve could not reproduce the audio problem, and they shipped both amps back to me.

I watched Kill Bill 1 & 2 before I had the problem reoccur (four hours of use). I swapped the amp from my right channel to my left channel, leaving all the wiring where it was, and now I had the problem in the left channel. I called Steve, and he overnighted me a new amp. He thinks it’s probably a relay, but did this without being able to replicate my problem when he had the amp.

I’ve had problems with all sorts of stuff I’ve purchased, and rarely do you get the kind of top-notch customer service that I’ve experienced with Outlaw. If you have a problem with an M200, or any Outlaw product, you can rest assured that they will work very hard to make you happy.

Regarding your other issues:
(1)Low level hiss from speakers...can hear from a few feet away? No. I have to be within 6 inches to hear hiss
(2)Bottom plate separating/bowing ? Yes. The replacement amp’s plate is totally snug to the body, I’ll check this over time to see if I originally got a “bad batch”.
(3)Buzzing sounds from Transformer? No.
(4)Auto turn on (music mode) too sensitive...turns on at random times even with receiver off? No. Running 7.1, there were a lot of stretches over longer than 15 minutes with no sound in the rear channels, I found my amps turning OFF. I recently purchased a bunch of trigger cables, and the amps all switch on and off with my 950 (with a joyous chorus of clicks).

When I had to box up my 2 amps to send off to Outlaw I was thinking that maybe I should have bought the 770 in the first place. But then I reconfigured my amps so that I had 5.1 while the two amps were out of my system, and realized that I had made the “right” decision in the first place.

#33457 - 03/03/05 10:15 PM Re: M200 Quirks or Problems?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I should say that I've never had any "problem" (big or small) when watching a movie or anytime the amp is in use.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts