Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33200 - 05/04/04 10:08 PM Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
Plinko Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

HI. I've read the 200 Forum and I'm surprised at the lack of positive comments here. Only seems like a handful of people writing in to say they like the product. I don't know, that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Regardless, not only will I post the inital thoughts but my thoughts a week from now.

I have a NAD T743 receiver, Pioneer 563, Technics CD changer, and Axiom speakers (M22s - bookshelf, QS8s, center and sub). I bought the monoblocks because: I'm upgrading to the M60s (floor standing), I like it loud sometimes - although I'm aware it takes a huge amount of watts to get it only a little bit louder, and I'm hoping for a cleaner, more precise sound/cleaner power.

Initial impressions:

1. They run cool. Very cool stacked on top of each other. I'm impressed. Almost makes me wonder if I set them up right. I know I did because I couldn't get the Outlaw cables on and it didn't work. So, I used standard RCA cables for the connections.

2. Cables from Outlaw are too tight. Can't get them on my NAD. Any suggestions? Use pliers or something to get them to expand?

3. Its only day one and I don't hear much difference. NAD sounded warmer. Outlaw sounds "punchier". Bass is slightly more full. I'm thinking maybe its a lot more full but I want to listen to the amps for a week and then go back and listen to just the NAD. Then I will have a good idea. I'm hoping "break in" really happens otherwise I might be disappointed.

4. Miscellaneous: packaging was terrific. Best I've seen. Manual is good.

#33201 - 05/04/04 10:32 PM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
The ends of the Outlaw cables will screw to tighten onto the RCA. Loosen the end then insert. Hope thats the problem.

#33202 - 05/04/04 10:38 PM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
NEO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita KS USA
I too got some outlaw cables, and I think very highly of them. You did read the part where they tighten down didn't you? When you get them you have to loosen by screwing the ends the right direction to loosen real good, Then fit them and tighten them down screwing the other direction. They did push on firmly, then once tightened they stay!

#33203 - 05/05/04 07:14 PM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
I purchased a pair of M-200s to drive my two front speakers in my 5.1 system, taking some of the load off of the Yamaha RX-V220 (100 w/channel) receiver. I really like the sound that I'm getting from the speakers, Boston Acoustics VR-M90s, now. I don't quite know how to describe it, but the sound seems to have more, for lack of a better descriptor, presence, to be more solid or substantial. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

I also purchased a pair of Outlaw PCA 1.8m cables at the same time. I'm very pleased with these also, they are very good cables and well worth the money spent. And yes, they do fit snugly, even when you unscrew them before inserting them into the binding posts. But there isn't much chance of them ever coming loose once they've been tightened down.

JD
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#33204 - 05/06/04 03:05 PM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
millst Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I use them for all my channels and I'm very happy with them.

tm

#33205 - 05/07/04 10:06 AM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Most people looking for amps will just get the 755 or 770 as they'll want at least 5 channels. It's much simpler that way. I like the pair of M200's I have. You didn't see that before? I was one of the first people to get them.

#33206 - 05/08/04 12:35 PM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
Plinko Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi JT Clark. Yes I did see your comments. I read the entire section. I was just surprised that I didn't find more than a handful of happy comments.

So far, I suspect I am noticing better dynamics, louder bass, and an overall punchy-like quality that I didn't have before. Of course I really won't know until I try the NAD again during next week. I know for sure I can turn up the volume more - which is nice.

#33207 - 05/08/04 01:54 PM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
emiser Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: round lake heights, IL
I purchased the 950 and 5 200's taking advantage of the buy 4 get one free offer. I was previously running a denon 4802 (very fine receiver). I had basically had some current passed thru my system and blew my Rel 201e and my right front (Vienna Mozarts). The M200's offered a practical way to keep tabs on any problems. One channel goes bad and you can pretty easily trace. What I did not count on was the sonic improvements being so obvious. The Soundstage opened up and the fronts got both speedier and deeper. I have a Sheffield XRCD drum test disc that really showed me the key difference - all about location. The ability to hear spacial details. The kick drum hit me in the pant leg, the snare in the chest the cymbals @ ear level. The drum kit seemed to materialise 2 feet in front of the left speaker and about 5 feet across the front (the right speaker never seemed to show itself) which would seem soncially accurate since drum kits don't typically extend 7.5 feet. I have taken to turning the TV off and listening to every one of my CD's and DVD-A's.
To make a short story long, I have beeen incredibly happy on going w/ the 200's and 950

#33208 - 05/09/04 07:25 PM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Ok. I think most people would still rather have the one big block sitting around as it's much simpler. Far fewer power cables. You can only stack like 3 M200's at a time, IIRC. They'd actually take up more space. Unless there's a nice deal (like now) I see most people getting one of the bigger amps. I went with the pair of smaller ones as that's all I needed, two channels of amplification. Sound quality wise, I wouldn't expect to hear any noticeable difference between the Outlaw amps. Sure, the 7100 wouldn't be able to go quite as loud, but that's about it.

#33209 - 05/10/04 11:51 AM Re: Just got two Outlaw 200s - thoughts
arzach Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Richfield, MN, USA
I've posted lots of positive comments about my M-200's, just not here!

I took advantage of the buy 6, get one free + free shipping offer (that works out to $239 per, what a deal!) and couldn't be happier with my 7-channel setup.

I went separates vs. combined for the following reasons:

I like separates (and glowing lights)
They're more versatile.
They weigh less individually.

The fact that the weight of a monster amp precludes many placement options was a bigger issue for me than the more complicated setup of separate M-200's.What I did was to dedicate a 5-shelf rack to the amps and the (Outlaw 950) pre/pro. I have two M-200's per shelf, the center on a shelf by itself, and the pre/pro on top. My sources are on a duplicate rack, and each rack sits on either side of the TV for a nice symmetry.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts