Don-Harris Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Rosemead, CA, USA
Are Outlaw 200's a warm sounding amp?

#33132 - 02/20/04 09:51 PM Re: sound
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
In the summer they sound warmer than in the winter.

#33133 - 02/20/04 11:04 PM Re: sound
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
In the summer they sound warmer than in the winter.

I just knew you were gonna say that.

------------------
Tekdredger

#33134 - 02/21/04 09:56 AM Re: sound
Don-Harris Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Not that I don't enjoy a little sarcasm once in a while, I thought this was a serious forum about the Outlaw products?

#33135 - 02/21/04 11:02 AM Re: sound
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Sorry, the way the question was phrased gave the impression were asking the quesion with a grain of salt. "Warm" is a very vague and frankly in the absolute sense undefinable term. It's like asking how high is "high". And compared to what?

Your speakers are the single most important determiner of how a system sounds becasue they are far from perfect electro-mechanical devices - no matter how much they may have cost or what brand they are. If you have "bright" speakers, then any amp you mate them with will sound bright, and vice versa for speakers that have a subdued "warm" high end. No amplifier will completely make overly bright speakers sound anything but what they are. No amplifier will make dull sounding speakers sound "brighter" than they actually are. This is strictly a speaker frequency response and power response issue, not a power amplifier issue.

Compared to all the other solid state amplifiers on the market, the Outlaw amplifiers have been regarded very highly in regards to their sound quality.

I don't own an Outlaw amplifier (I am strictly a tube power amp person) but I do own the 950 preamp/processor, and I can certainly say that it is not "strident" or "harsh" in any way. "Warm"? Probably so, compared to "bright".

I would suggest you take them up on the 30 day in-home trial since highly subjective things like this cannot be answered with certainty on a forum.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 21, 2004).]

#33136 - 02/21/04 11:37 AM Re: sound
Don-Harris Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Sorry, the way the question was phrased gave the impression were asking the quesion with a grain of salt. "Warm" is a very vague and frankly in the absolute sense undefinable term. It's like asking how high is "high". And compared to what?

Your speakers are the single most important determiner of how a system sounds becasue they are far from perfect electro-mechanical devices - no matter how much they may have cost or what brand they are. If you have "bright" speakers, then [b]any
amp you mate them with will sound bright, and vice versa for speakers that have a subdued "warm" high end. No amplifier will completely make overly bright speakers sound anything but what they are. No amplifier will make dull sounding speakers sound "brighter" than they actually are. This is strictly a speaker frequency response and power response issue, not a power amplifier issue.

Compared to all the other solid state amplifiers on the market, the Outlaw amplifiers have been regarded very highly in regards to their sound quality.

I don't own an Outlaw amplifier (I am strictly a tube power amp person) but I do own the 950 preamp/processor, and I can certainly say that it is not "strident" or "harsh" in any way. "Warm"? Probably so, compared to "bright".

I would suggest you take them up on the 30 day in-home trial since highly subjective things like this cannot be answered with certainty on a forum.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 21, 2004).][/B]

Thank you soundhound, now that is the kind of reply I have been looking for. I don't know if you have been reading any of my other post? My speakers are MB Quart SL530's. They require alot of oomph to make them really stand out. They are 4 ohm speakers at 85DB's. The manufacture recomends that i use an amp that is rated between 75 and 130 wpc. I have had other replies that say they though my speakers would match well with a warm sounding amp, such as the NAD or B&K amps. I was thinking of trying out two 200m's with my current setup. I would be using my Denon A/V receiver as a pre-amp. What are your thoughts? Thank you for all the help.

#33137 - 02/21/04 01:35 PM Re: sound
soundhound Offline
Desperado

The main consideration with 4 ohm speakers is current capability in the amplifier. This speaker impedance is considered a relatively "difficult" load compared to the average 8 ohm speaker, so this must be taken into consideration when looking for a power amp. I would certainly not recommend a receiver to drive 4 ohm speakers - a seperate amplifer is the only reliable way to drive them.

The Outlaw amps certainly have a good reputation for sound quality, and the current delivery of the 200 should be a good match for your speakers. Honestly, the only way to absolutely, positively achieve a "warm" sound character is with tubes, but I would cerainly not recommend a tube amp for driving any 4 ohm speaker.

I would try the 200 out. The build and electronic robustness of the construction is extremely high with the Outlaw amps, as it is with the 950 preamp.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 175 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts