Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#32771 - 01/13/03 12:07 PM Re: Got two!!!
charlie Offline
Desperado

It depends on many factors, including how conservative the factory rating is and the amp design, among others. I've seen anywhere from 1.2 to 3 times for short term transients.

#32772 - 01/14/03 12:08 PM Re: Got two!!!
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Damn. Only one showed up today. I guess I shouldn't complain too much since the second one is free

#32773 - 01/14/03 07:18 PM Re: Got two!!!
Xyzfla Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oldsmar,FL,USA
Glad to hear JT & morphsci received (at least some of) their amps. I think you'll like them. I've had a few more days of listening and am still impressed.

I was concerned about the possibility of turn on transients when using the signal sense method of turn on. I can happily report that none exists. I guess I’m still gun shy from my time with a Dayton Wright preamp. Great sound …. but turn on sent SEVERAL volts to the amp … be careful …very careful.

Just curious about:
1) You lucky folks with a 770 or 755. Does the 200 have the same “sound”?
2) What people are doing with their 200’s. Subwoofer, HT or like me two channel stereo?
3) Any comparisons with obvious competitors say from Rotel, Parasound etc?

Happy listening!!

#32774 - 01/14/03 08:50 PM Re: Got two!!!
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Doing 2 channel stereo with my 200's (when the second one gets here).They will replace a pair of Marantz MA500's.

Initial impresions. Very sturdy build, no foot problems, much heavier than you would expect from the height of the unit. That is one big toroid in this puppy. I can't wait for my second unit to arrive so I can actually hear these amps!

[This message has been edited by morphsci (edited January 14, 2003).]

#32775 - 01/15/03 02:08 AM Re: Got two!!!
marcvh Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't have my M-Blocks yet (scheduled to arrive tomorrow.) I'm using them for an HT system, adding 3 of them for external amplification for my front speakers. I do use the system for 2-channel stereo a fair bit, though, and am hoping this will improve things.

Not using them for a sub; my subs (SVS) are powered by their companion Samson S1000, and while the 200 is probably higher quality it doesn't have as much power.

Anyway, will report here on any wobbles or other problems. I'm going to have to dis-assemble my Flexy rack and move a few shelves around in order to make room.

#32776 - 01/16/03 01:26 AM Re: Got two!!!
marcvh Offline
Gunslinger

Got three!

I received my trio of M-Blocks today, and my initial impressions are pretty positive. Stereo music sounds more detailed and the midrange seems better than it was (previously using the amps of a Denon 3802.) Movies also seem better, but stereo music is where I notice the biggest improvements. No, I'm not doing double-blind observations, so there's likely some bias.

Of my 3 units, 1 has a slight wobble, but I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been specifically looking for it.

Dimensions: c'mon, Outlaws, let's be accurate with our numbers here. Yes, the unit is 1 3/4 inches tall -- if you don't count the feet. Once you do, it's very close to 2 inches. I have a stack of 3 of 'em, and it measures just a hair over 6 inches tall.

The only other negative I've seen thus far is some mild hissing. Whenever the amp is on, there's hissing from the speaker. It can't be the source, or the interconnect cable, because the hissing remains if you turn the amp on with no input cable attached. It's not bad, audible within about 2 feet of the speaker, but it's there. It doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as some of the hiss problems I've read about people having with the 950 or anything.

It may turn out not to be the amp, but rather the fact that my power isn't very clean. Are other folks hearing any hiss? How's it compare with other amps you've used in this regard?

#32777 - 01/16/03 11:38 AM Re: Got two!!!
JasonA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Marion, Iowa
I haven't noticed any hiss from mine - although it's only been hooked up to a sub. I have a pretty nasty hum that's probably being picked up from my cable, but with the input disconnected, it's as quite as can be. I can put my ear INSIDE the driver and hear absolutely nothing.

I would actually be really surprised if the amp itself was producing the noise. If you can, try the amp/speaker in a couple different places around the house to see if it changes anything. The next step might be to try some sort of power conditioning.

Jason

#32778 - 01/19/03 01:30 PM Re: Got two!!!
marcvh Offline
Gunslinger

To give some follow-up, I've experimented a bit. The hiss just barely registers on a Radio Shack sound meter if you hold it right up to the tweeter (which puts it around 50 dB.) This is with Paradigm Studio/60s, which the manufacturer claims have a sensitivity of 90 dB (room).

Compared to my old setup (using the built-in amps on my Denon 3802 receiver) there's a bit more hiss when the sound is muted or at low volume, but less when the volume is turned up (since the 200's hiss is constant while the 3802's hiss vaires with the volume setting.) I haven't been able to hear it from my listening position 9 feet away.

Adding noise filters to the power line (sub-$100 noise filters anyway) didn't seem to change anything.

I've read that all amplifiers hiss, it's just a matter of how much and whether it's a constant or varies with volume. I'm not sure this degree of hissing is a problem; it's quieter than other noises in my listening room (e.g. the whirring of my CD player, the fans in my ReplayTV and Samson S1000, etc.) If I had particularly sensitive speakers and/or sat closer to them and/or had a listening room that was dead quiet I'd be more concerned.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts