Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#32648 - 11/30/02 11:53 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Steve in Sterling Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sterling, Va
Iggy- They don't need you. They have plenty of "lapdogs" that get excited about getting on waiting lists for months for untested products(ie.950)
Questions such as output devices...what kind,bipolar or jfet...matched?. What is in the signal path...capacitors? What is the power supply like? The damping factor may not mean much but it is much lower than any amp I've ever heard of with that kind of power. What does that mean? Like I said, if you are just adding a 6th or 7th channel then quality might not matter and people won't more specs.

#32649 - 11/30/02 12:26 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Steve:

I have heard from anonymous government sources that the 200 has a good deal of good 'ol class A/B happening in there.

I think it's irrelevant to most people in the real world what kind of transistors, capacitors, resistors etc are inside an amplifier. Just because a manufacturer uses a certain kind of part, and brags about it in spec sheets, doesn't guarantee the sound quality or durability of the finished product. In the end, trying out the product in your home system is the best course of action. Either it works for you in your system or it doesn't.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 30, 2002).]

#32650 - 11/30/02 12:36 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think what Iggy is pointing out is that Outlaw's track record with amps is pretty clean. The 770 and 755 launches were smooth, and their amps have all been well regarded as good "value" amps.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#32651 - 11/30/02 05:22 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
Well guys I did not want to come across as being unhappy with the Outlaws equipment,however since there is not enough information out there to make an inteligent decision,that is way I opted to give out this information.My past experiences with amplifiers is they must have a higher damping factor to control the woofers,NAD rates them at 200,Parasound at 150,Adcom at 800.Carver Audio at 150,Outlaw at 800,but you do not make a decision based on Damping Factor alone!!You will consider sound,power supply size,peak amp to amp's and some more....I was just not expecting this kind of specifications,but i could be wrong!!!

#32652 - 12/01/02 12:52 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Steve and all:

Now I'm only a dog, but you humans say that we pooches have good hearing. SO: Yes, while it does matter to some extent what type of capacitors or output devices a product has, or what the damn damping factor is, and so forth, BUT, at the end of the day, once you get past key parameters such as signal to noise and such, isn't it the way the amp SOUNDS that counts?

Steve, you sound as though you want to dismiss anything the Outlaws make just because, well, they're the Otulaws. Prehaps a calmer suggestion would be to look at the specs offered, match them against the price, see if the value sounds right, and then audition the product and see (hear!) if you like it. If you don't return it. If you do, forget about the specs and -- I shudder to suggest this -- listen to the music and enjoy the benefits that the product brings you, rather than worrying about the name on the outside, the parts on the inside, or whether your doggie dish is bigger than mine.

But then, what do I know, I'm only a dog.

ARF ARF says Iggy.

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#32653 - 12/01/02 03:34 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
The damping factor for any competently designed solid state amp is more than adequate whether the number is 80, 800 or more. The static measurment numbers supplied as specs do very little to tell you how an amplifier will sound when inserted into a specific system. Only the power output number and how low of an impedance the amp. can drive may have some bearing on the sound if the amp is being driven to it's limit. Also, if an amp has a low-ish input impedance and is being driven by a tube preamp with a high-ish output impedance, there may be cause for concern.

So, if the model 200 is "only" speced at a damping factor of 80, I say OK, tell me something important now.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#32654 - 12/01/02 11:15 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Steve in Sterling Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sterling, Va
Soundhound: I disagree with you in that audio/videophiles who visit these forums seek knowledge and want more info than cursory stuff like you get at CC and BB.

Iggy: There's not even enough information for me to want to go to the trouble of trying it at this time(Paul). The price gets me interested so I want more info. The specs on power supply, capacitors, output devices etc will give you an idea of the type of sound you can look for. Warm...Harsh etc.
As far as dismissing everything the Outlaws do...not true. I'm glad they are bringing these products to market to give an alternative to all the overpriced stuff out there. The reason I have Parasound equipment is the quality and value for the money. I am bothered by the marketing technique used by them. Create a lot of interest and demand for a product that's not even available. But it's been successful for them because they have all you followers out there that will defend them till the end. When I want to upgrade/build my home theater in the year 2002, I don't want to get on an indefinite waiting list. I don't mind waiting a couple of months if I know the products coming but who wants to do this (other than Outlaw followers)
If this amp is really "on the way" why isn't there more info on it other than rumors?

#32655 - 12/01/02 11:37 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Steve in Sterling-- As always, your best bet for getting answers for specific (or technical) questions would be to contact Outlaw directly- especially in regards to new products where available information at this site is still limited. Best...

#32656 - 12/02/02 05:15 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Fellow Outlaws,

Since so many of you have speculated on some of the more technical aspects of the model 200, here is a bit more information.

The issues that we face with presenting more of this data are centered on the concern that some who profess to be knowledgeable in this area are actually drawing erroneous conclusions based upon what they have heard from others, often with no practical or engineering experience.So with that in mind, here is a bit more information about the Model 200:

First, we want to tell you that the particular engineer who designed this product for Outlaw has over 30 years of successful consumer electronics design experience. In particular his designs have been used in some of the most famous and well- respected names in our industry. Presently there are two extremely high end companies offering products with his amplifier designs.
The Model 200 utilizes a newly designed (and proprietary), hybrid Class A/B/Class G circuit. It will provide class A/B power up to 80 watts (which covers about 98 % of most listening situations). Above 80 watts the Model 200 will instantly shift into Class G amplification. This approach was chosen because of our requirements that this amplifier had to be quite compact (1 3/4 inches high) In addition we insisted that the amplifier would not use any fans. For those of you who are curious, the transition from class A/B to class G requires just two microseconds (NOT milliseconds),and (we know this question is coming) the transition itself is 100% inaudible. This was key to us in that some other alternative designs exhibit audible side effects. Incidentally at 200 watts the 200 has less than .05 % THD.

For output devices, there are a total of six: four bipolar transistors rated at 15 amps each and two robust power mosfets rated at 40 amps each Dynamically, into 8 ohms the unit will put out approximately 300 watts! In addition, it has at its disposal 20,000 microfarads of capacitance.

If we haven't said it before, the Model 200 will sound not only powerful, but neutral in its character. All in all, this is NOT your father’s amplifier

Regards,

The Outlaws!

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited December 03, 2002).]

#32657 - 12/02/02 10:42 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
RichW Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYC, NY
My father's amps are BATs

Scott, thank you for the additional info.

Rich

[This message has been edited by RichW (edited December 02, 2002).]

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts