Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#32628 - 11/25/02 08:21 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Shaster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Miami Florida, USA
Well, came in this morning and see the specs are posted, sounds great, where are the Pics of the rear? what turn on modes does it have?, Audio Sense?,Voltage Trigger?,Alway's on???

#32629 - 11/25/02 09:55 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Scott Offline
Desperado

To answer your question I have taken some text from the "about" section of the Model 200 web page:

"...in general use we’ve made it easy for you to use the Model 200 by providing two ways to turn it on:

A trigger jack is provided for automatic turn-on when the Model 200 is used with products such as our Model 950 preamp/processor or Model 1050 receiver that output a low voltage control signal. For use with non-Outlaw products (SHAME ON YOU!), the Model 200 also features a “music sense” circuit that automatically turns the unit on when an audio signal is present, and turns it off within ten minutes after the audio signal stops."

Also, there is a mistake in the information that will be corrected shortly. The Model 200 is 1 rack unit high making it 1 3/4 inches tall.

#32630 - 11/26/02 10:26 AM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Shaster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Miami Florida, USA
Shame on me ? Scott it's not like that I'm the only one that uses other manufacturer's equipment, would like to get a look at your rack at home...Oh and by the way, We (Niles) make a device that will take that low voltage, low current trigger output and give you A volage that you can actually use, to trigger screens, lifts, etc.etc...Just a thought... Have a great weekend everyone, Peace!!!

#32631 - 11/26/02 12:21 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Herndon, VA
From the 200 page:

Amplifiers are at the core of Outlaw’s history and they are the foundation that built our company. The Model 200 may be small in size, but its specs are outsized and truly worthy of the Outlaw name. It features innovative, fan-free design, a low-profile torrodial transformer, and high quality components throughout. Preliminary specs are as follows:

Power Output: 200 watts @ 8 ohms, 20 Hz ­ 20 kHz, <0.05% THD 300 watts @ 4 ohms, 20 Hz ­ 20 kHz, <0.05% THD Signal to Noise: 100 dB (unweighted) Input Impedance: >10K Ohms Gain: +27dB (1.7V sensitivity) for full output Input Connectors: 2 RCA Jacks Output Connectors: Five-Way binding post Power Consumption: 600 watts maximum/<3 watts standby Weight: 18 pounds Dimensions (H/W/D):1.5” x 17” x 11.5”

So no fans....

#32632 - 11/26/02 03:43 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I just read a review of the new PS Audio HCA-2 (or something). 2 channel power amp that uses a fancy version of class D. Also has a toroidal transformer, so I guess that doesn't necessarily preclude at least class D...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#32633 - 11/26/02 06:56 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
I just found out that the amp has a Damping Factor of 80,that in my book means,No control over woofers,(not a big power supply,)it seems it would be similar to the new digital amplifiers,inpressive power numbers,but no control;also it reminds me of the old Carver Amplifiers......NO CONTROL....sure it may sound good,but if your amplifier does not have control of your woofers you will eventually damage them even if you do not force your amplifier into clipping.I guess I will just keep my old Adcom 555 working on my woofers.......

#32634 - 11/26/02 08:38 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by eurorom:
I just found out that the amp has a Damping Factor of 80,that in my book means,No control over woofers...

I think you are way off on the significance of that damping factor number! Here is an excellent article on the subject:

http://www.studio-systems.com/audiofeatures/novdec99/dampingFactor/damp01.htm

The paper concludes that a damping factor beyond 20 is at the point of diminishing returns. This matches my experience in the area. And you are CERTAINLY not going to damage your woofers or anything else if the damping factor is not 'high enough'.

Damping factor is one of those mis-understood things that tends to get way overblown in it's significance. Kind of like "24 bit at 192Khz", big impressive sounding numbers that are useless in the real world get way more meaning attached to them than they deserve.

Believe me, a damping factor of 80 is VERY good, and one that will effectively damp out the back EMF generated by the motor assembly (voice coil and magnet) of any woofer.

There are some very significant downsides to having insane damping figures too. Damping can be increased by the application more negative feedback. You can take a mediocre amplifier, and give it a damping factor in the _hundreds_ if you apply enough negative feedback! But do you want this? Excessive negative feedback has it's own problems, and can make an amplifier sound terrible. I have a test report from an old hi-fi magazine of a tube amplifier with a damping factor of something like 200. The manufacturer stated that they used some insane amount of negative feedback to achieve it. The report concluded with the warning that the amplifier should be used only with speaker systems 'approved' by the amplifier's manufacturer - OTHERWISE OSCILLATION WOULD RESULT! Somehow I don't think that amplifier sounded very good!

A good design is a balancing act, and the ultimate goal is to make a good sounding amplifier. Stressing one parameter just to make it "look good on the spec sheet" is NOT a good way to design.

A damping factor of 80 is more than enough!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 27, 2002).]

#32635 - 11/26/02 09:02 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaster:
Shame on me ? Scott it's not like that I'm the only one that uses other manufacturer's equipment, would like to get a look at your rack at home...Oh and by the way, We (Niles) make a device that will take that low voltage, low current trigger output and give you A volage that you can actually use, to trigger screens, lifts, etc.etc...Just a thought... Have a great weekend everyone, Peace!!!

He wasn't really shaming on you, per se. That's written in to the document under the "About" link on the Model 200. It was just a direct cut and paste.

#32636 - 11/26/02 10:23 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Soundhound (and others)- Any chance you could do a quick list of pros/cons of say 2 mono-blocks vs a stereo power amp?

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#32637 - 11/26/02 10:31 PM Re: Pictures, Specs?
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
Not sure about that damping factor info. My 755 manual lists it at 850 up to 400Hz. This is actually higher than typical. Most of my other amps have been in the 150-300 range. Much over 200 is tough to achieve in practice due to cable resistance. So my guess is because the 200 is from the same heritage, the damping factor (Low Freq) is probably 800, not 80.

My question is why are there 2 RCA input jacks to a mono block amp? Should be just 1 unless they are using an RCA for the trigger jack instead of a miniature. Any clues out there? My only thought is one of them is for auto-on and the other is for no auto-on.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts