Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#32263 - 01/11/09 07:02 PM ... SPEAKER PAIRING ...
BlazingArrow74 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
... I'm using a pair of 2-way bookshelfs rated at 4 Ohms ... However, I'm not completely satisfied with the high-frequency response of the speakers and would like to add another pair that excel with midrange and treble ... I'm only using the "A" set ouf outputs, so I assume that the next pair should be on "B" ...

... Do I need to get another pair also rated at 4 Ohm ? ... Is it okay to pair a 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm on "A+B", respectively ? ... Also, does anyone have a reccomendation for a nice bookshelf with excellent upper-midrange and treble response that will not be too-demanding on the 2150 considering I am using 2 pairs of speakers ? ...

... And lastly, are there any negative sonic implications in using 2 pairs on A+B instead of just one ? ... Were the "A+B" terminals intended for bi-wiring only ? ...

#32264 - 01/11/09 07:45 PM Re: ... SPEAKER PAIRING ...
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
The A+B terminals are intended to allow two pairs of speakers to be connected. You should use speakers rated similarly on both sets of terminals if you are going to use them in tandem. It is unlikely that any damage to the 2150 would occur if you did but, the speakers will respond differently to the amount of power supplied to the outputs. You will get an overall output impedance less than 4 ohms overall. You could probably trim a set that was responding hot but it seems to be the counterproductive thing to do. I would look for another pair of speakers that had a similar impedance and SPL rating. Depending on how well matched the pairs of speakers are and their relative strengths you can get signifivant performance improvement with the second pair online.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#32265 - 01/12/09 04:20 PM Re: ... SPEAKER PAIRING ...
BlazingArrow74 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
... Thanks XenonMan ... I guess I'll have to start looking and going into stores to audition ... I'm starting to wonder if small (4 inches or less) woofer/tweeter cabinets exist that are-indeed speakers: but are intended for use in tandem with an existing pair, that maybe can just sit atop my existing pair ...

... Otherwise, I'll be in the hunt for a long time ... The catch 22 is I don't want to overload the 2150 with TWO pair of 4 OHM speakers: I do think that they wouldn't be sufficiently loud for me, and I would risk damaging the unit with cranking up the volume to possibly clip the amp; also, I would prefer a nice pair of 8 ohm, even if they are a bit louder than the 4 ohm, but I'm not sure what the risks are of a mismatch: are you suggesting that one pair may just be LOUDER than the other, or can it get as bad as timing differences where one pair is outputting slightly behind another pair !? ... This is what I am afraid of, and I don't know much about the effects of SPL mismatching, so that's why I'm so hesitant ...

... Would it be possible to find an 8 Ohm speaker with similar SPL albeit different impedance ? ...

... Just so you know, my average listening volume with the current pair of 4 Ohm is with the volume knob at about the 10:30 position (Phono) ... I guess my main concerns are timing and clipping the amp ... Scott, any of your advice will be appreciated !!

-- Sam

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts