Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3133 - 12/06/02 03:17 PM 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: PORTSMOUTH, VA USA
Just purchased and wired my 1050, had Yamaha bookshelf (L & R) and cheap Jensen home theater speakers for surround and sub. Pulled out the old Advent floor speakers for L & R, improvement from the Yamahas!! Sounds really nice, looking forward to upgrading, as funds permit. The inquiry, ...local retailer has Polk, R6001 floor speakers at a good price. Anyone experienced these or has other recommendations for reasonably priced , <$1K, set-up??

#3134 - 12/06/02 03:39 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
leeep Offline
Gunslinger

assuming you want to look at sub/sat systems and not build up a set based on floor-standing speakers...

after lots of reading online and asking around, i tried out the energy take 5.2 system (around $900 street, $700 online) for about a week. one or two of the speakers had dud drivers (buzzing/vibration) so i exchanged them. the same day at home, i played them side-by-side with a set of definitive technology procinema 80's (were $750 on sale)... i was far more impressed with the deftech units both in the way they sounded and just by looking at the raw specs on paper. needless to say, the deftech set stayed, the energy set went back to the store.

i won't knock the energy speakers too much tho... they are both excellent buys, imho. if you do some research online, you'll see both models are very highly recommended. the one thing the energy speakers had that the deftechs did not, however, is a bypass-input for external crossovers/bass management (like the 1050 has). minor quibble, but some care about such things. the deftech satellites are also a bit bigger than the energy satellites (slightly bigger drivers) and the center channel (procenter 100) on the deftechs is MUCH larger than the energy center... that is, if space/placement is an issue.

i'm a bit busy today, but i can post some other thoughts later on when i have some more time... i took some pictures of the speakers aide by side if that might be of any use in comparing them.

happy hunting!

-e

#3135 - 12/06/02 03:55 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Latest generation of Polks has been getting some good reviews lately (from the tidbits I've seen on some forums). Among the <$1,000 speaker systems that get a lot of positive feedback around here, some of the most notable are the Energy Take 5.2 that leeep mentioned, Boston Acoustics, DefTech, Paradigm, and I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3136 - 12/06/02 04:33 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
charlie Offline
Desperado

The Swan Divas are made from good parts and get good reviews.

#3137 - 12/06/02 06:19 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Are the Divas sold still? I thought they were replaced by the Rockets.
In any case I have heard good things about both. I am happy with my Paradigms but you pretty much have to walk the beat and audition as many as you can until you find ones you like. Everyone here will tell you how great their speaker set-up is, how it blows this out of the water and how it sounds better than that at 1/2 the cost blah, blah, blah. It still doesn't take the place of first hand experience it just gives you a starting point. So off my rant and good luck and happy hunting.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#3138 - 12/07/02 12:06 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Divas are still listed on the av123.com site , at least last time I checked.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited December 07, 2002).]

#3139 - 12/07/02 01:53 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
Just wanted to toot the Paradigm horn again! I love them! the sound is warm, rich, and soothing.

#3140 - 12/09/02 10:41 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

THANKS FOR SUGGESTIONS, KEEP 'EM COMING. The Divas are new to me and are looking good. Really want an SVS sub, I'm going to study the choices and buy something around, or just after Christmas. Had my 1050 maxed this weekend with the Advents, sounded sweeter the louder, kind of "boxy" on the vocals at the lower volumes. A little "hissy" on the high end.
Really need a good center channel, too. The little Jensen s***s. I will be listening to music more than theater, so the 5.1 or 6.1 Divas are looking good. Wsh I could hear them, I'll just use the ears of "the outlaws" ....

#3141 - 12/09/02 12:35 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

MAXED!!! WOW! You must listen to the music from the street! When I listen to music I find the 80-90db range loud enough in the room, the Outlaw is at about the 50 to 55 range on the dial.

#3142 - 12/09/02 12:44 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

yes MCH, it was loud, I usually listen between 50 - 60 range also. Wanted to see if the Advents would handle it, or blow!! They must have a below 90db response, don't know the Advent specs, I've had them since the 70's ....

Any experience with WHARFEDALE speakers, they seem reasonably priced and seem to get good reviews ....

#3143 - 12/09/02 12:51 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

hey LEEEEP - GONK, I need the link for Energy Take & Definite Tech ....

So many choices, ...like a kid in the candy store ....

#3144 - 12/09/02 01:01 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Off to lunch, so I'll cut to the chase:

Definitive Technology front page ( ProCinema )

Energy Speakers home page ( Take 5.2 )

Enjoy!

------------------

#3145 - 12/09/02 01:42 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
charlie Offline
Desperado

If you like it loud you might look at some high efficiency speakers like Klipsch or Infinity. A 5db bump in sensitivity is like bumping that 65 watts up to 200+.

Some very high sensitivity types can gain you over 10db, or a 10x multiplication of output.

For instance a 65 watt amp into a 100 db speaker will be just like a 650 watt amp into a 90 db (typical) speaker....

#3146 - 12/09/02 04:17 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
Here's one to look at in the <$1,000 category...

http://www.meadowlarkaudio.com/swift.htm

I've heard lots of great things about this company. Time aligned designs, 1st order x-overs, mated with a transmission line design.

I strongly considered purchasing these, but there is nobody within several hundred miles from me who deals with them. I exchanged emails with the owner Pat, and he said that in the future their company may permit orders direct from them for people like me.

In the end I ended up with Paradigms. My studio 60's should be in at the dealer today or tomorrow.

If you end up trying the Meadowlarks or if anybody here has any experience with them, I would like to hear your thoughts....

#3147 - 12/09/02 04:20 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
charlie Offline
Desperado

Transmission lines can be excellent, but are notoriously hard to get right. A good implementation will sound decidedly 'un-boxy' due to the unique properties of the line. I'd be curious how they did too. Some of the stuff they say is pretty goofy, where they compare using lumber to create musical instruments vs. lumber in speaker enclosures. They are (at least for Hi-Fi speakers) two fundamentally different things.

Doesn't mean the speakers are bad, it does mean marketing needs to be reined in a bit.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited December 09, 2002).]

#3148 - 12/12/02 08:32 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
kickingback Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey, what about B&W's?! My two fronts are the 602 S3's and they sound great. They received many great reviews and I "see" why.

#3149 - 12/13/02 08:37 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
WJMIII Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
To start with, I am a new 1050 purchaser; I have had the receiver about 2 weeks now. I am sufficiently pleased with the $ vs performance of the unit. Not a bad deal for $499 at all.

I have some cheap-o, newer Advents (AS-2?), and they don't sound half-bad; nice enough for a bedroom system, but not for front-end. By the way, I did not go for the system approach; I have some older Polk bookshelf speakers for my surrounds, a cheaper BIC center (not bad for $20), and a JBL powered sub. The movies I have watched so far have sounded great- especially Lord of the Rings and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.

I then went on the upgrade quest. I found a Carver PM-175 for $220 locally, used, and I figured that the amp would be a good test for the pre-amp outs; if the Outlaw would sound good through that Carver, it has definite promise. I have been pleased with the detail so far- very quick, not flabby in the bass dept, either with my sub or using the Advent speakers full-range. I bought a pair of Magnepan MMGs to replace the Advents- they will be here Monday. I have not heard Magnepans in a home, just in a store; has anyone given the Magnepans a listen, or tried them in their system? The Carver will have enough power to drive them correctly, to begin with, anyway.

When I am a bit more flush with cash, I will probably move the Carver to power a passive sub and get a Rotel or something similar to drive the Magnepans. Any comments or suggestions about Magnepan or other speaker experience would be helpful and welcomed.

#3150 - 12/13/02 09:38 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just discovered a Paradigm retailer around the corner from work, they also have Mirage and other Hi end stuff, and an upgrade policy, looks promising.

Are the old Advents, by H.Kloss, outdated? I notice that the new ones are considered cheap ....

#3151 - 12/15/02 11:53 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SuperFi:
Just wanted to toot the Paradigm horn again! I love them! the sound is warm, rich, and soothing.

Hear Hear!!

I teach a drum line part time at a local university. As a "teat" before an extended weekend trip, I set up my gear in one of the classrooms. I was driving my digem's to close well above my normal listening levels (normaly listen at them at about 40-35 on the dial on my reciever at home. My reciever was at 20-15 for parts of the night...) They didn't even wince...I did, my students did, (we were also demoing the ps2200 sub that night.) LOTR was to much for some people...heck even I was getting sick at some parts due to the constant bowel loostening bass...but I digress.

From having a number of people walk out of our marathon session saying "thes is better then the movie theater," and the fact that the digems didn't sweat a drop all I can say is I strongly doubt that I will EVER buy another brand of speakers again. Yes in a few years (like oh 10-15) I may need a new pair of speakers, but I guarantee that they will be Paradigms...unless for some unbelieveable reason Paradigm goes out of business. Then I will just have to do with my 15 year old speakers.

Jason...who is completly, and I mean COMPLETLY content with my choice in speakers.

#3152 - 12/16/02 02:29 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
I have the paradigm Monitor 7's and the Studio center. I love these speakers and next year plan to upgrade my surrounds with paradigms. NO complaints.
Mike

#3153 - 12/16/02 05:29 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
youngguns Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nunica, Michigan
i just wanted to coment on the warfdales...the ones that you can get for a little over $200 bucks a pair are blone away by the $230 dollar paradigm titans. my friends dad has a pair of the warfdale signature series limeted edition speakers (or somthing like that) and my friends titans sound much better.....we both agreed.
just thought i would add my thoughts.

#3154 - 12/16/02 10:33 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
WJMIII Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
WOW! I hooked up my Magnepan MMG speakers this afteroon. Thay are absolutely outstanding! The sound is not boxed in and directional; the sound stages across the entire room, especially when you are in the sweet spot.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Magnepas MMGs to star out with- you can trade up to some larger ones with no value loss from Magnepan. You will be sold!

#3155 - 12/17/02 12:49 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
I know that I'm jumping in hear a little late; but----

Peanut and others: If you're not adverse to puchasing previously listened to gear, you might want to check out the classified listings at www.audiogon.com . I've been happy with what I've bought there.

fly guy mentioned the new Meadowlark Swifts. While I haven't heard this new speaker, I've been very impressed with the previous entry-level floorstanding Meadowlark speaker -- the Kestrel. In addition to being well reviewed, they just sound good. There is a pair at audiogon for 699 and a hotrod version listed for 820.

I've also seen where someone had a full Monitor Audio Silver setup for 900 (included 5i's, 3's and a 10Center). I'm driving a pair of the 5i's with my 1050 and am very pleased with both music and movies.

Go and listen to as many speakers as you can and have fun doing it.

Chris

#3156 - 12/17/02 12:59 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

AGAIN, THANKS FOR SUGGESTIONS, ...I am impressed with the Paradigms. Looks like I'm going to start with a pair, haven't decided on which model but I am going to take advantage of the retailer's trade-in policy, I'll spend the $700-1000 and then double my investment within the year. The retailer also stocks Martin Logans, (talk about great staging quality)...but that is another story!!!

#3157 - 12/17/02 10:56 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
youngguns Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nunica, Michigan
i deffinatly support high4head on the use of silver 5i's. i also have a pair, and you can usually find a used pair on audiogon for around $500. they really are a steal.

#3158 - 12/26/02 11:32 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

...got the Paradigm Reference studio 60's and an SVS 2039 sub ...unbelievable. Love-em. Now I'll save for the center & surrounds. Thanks for the suggestions!!

#3159 - 12/26/02 02:05 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Oooh, very nice -- was that SVS a passive or powered sub? I've had my Studio 60's for over a year and a half now (still enjoy the heck out of them), and added a 25-31PCi earlier this year. Good combination. Merry Christmas!

------------------

#3160 - 12/26/02 02:54 PM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
PEANUT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

yea mon ...2039 csi, ...Probably should have got the shorter unit, but I got a B stock for same $$.. Looks like we are set & jammin'....Can you hear me now?? ...Can you FEEL me, now?

#3161 - 12/30/02 09:33 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
davidian Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Mission Viejo, CA
I have not seen any comments regarding the edge audio (aperion) speaker systems available internet only. I am seriously considering giving this system a try. Have any of you experts out there had any experience with them or know of someone who has? Appreciate the help!

#3162 - 12/30/02 11:03 AM Re: 1050 SPEAKERS
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I have the Infinity IL 50's (floorstanding)that sound great,crystal clear, (better than the bose I had), buit in subwoofer, very heavy. I got them off www.ubid.com <$500

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts