Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#31102 - 05/22/07 03:57 AM Re: Phono section
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
No worries, psyprof1. I was exaggerating a bit. I'm pretty sure I'm going to bump up to one of Ortofon's Super OM series cartridges, just not right now. I currently have no real complaints with the sound. If you have any insight into what those turntable gods are into, though, I'm all ears.

Interestingly enough, I thought I'd feel inconvenienced by the short length of album sides, but so far that hasn't really bothered me. It's probably been said before, but listening this way compels me to concentrate on the music more; it's not just on in the background…much closer to the way I used to listen three decades ago, when I first got into music.

#31103 - 05/22/07 02:08 PM Re: Phono section
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
I want to reply, and thank the professor for all of his commentary. There are definitely some avenues which were mentioned that I'd like to explore.

I've got two more finals this week (until Thursday), so I shouldn't really be doing anything but studying and working on a project. Until then:

Enjoy the music !

Doug

#31104 - 05/22/07 06:22 PM Re: Phono section
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks for the acknowledgment, Doug. The Cartridge Alignment Tool I mentioned costs only $20, not $40 as I wrote before, and Turntable Basics also has bubble levels (price unknown but probably cheap). But first hit them books and good luck on the exams.

Paul Nay (retired psychology professor)

#31105 - 05/23/07 12:51 PM Re: Phono section
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
Can't sleep. I've been dreaming about lousy test scores and questions pertaining to things I've never seen before in my entire life. Dreams are quite interesting in that way...perhaps I just envisioned an equation which is the ultimate solution for world peace ? Can't remember it now, so oh well !

Paul, I'll certainly consider the gear from turntable basics, but I'd prefer to order the items over the phone if possible. It's my preferred method of internet shopping these days (ironic eh ?) since I have been burned by a PayPal scam. It was not I whom fell for anything in particular, but rather that my account which hadn't been active for about a year, was 'hacked' and almost ready to transfer every bit of money from one of my banks' checking accounts, to some thieves' account. (I feel it was a PP employee)

Luckily, I caught it before the transaction was finalized ! Needless to say, I try and be as cautious as possible these days, an unfortunate necessity which helps me keep my peace of mind.

Anyhow, looking at the tracking force tool that they sell, it would seem that there is no 1.75 g mark, which means I'd have to somewhat guess, and hope I'm pretty accurate. In that respect, I'd rather buy the other tool from the site I linked, which also makes me think that it would just be better if I bought everything there, so that I'm not paying shipping from two different places.

I guess I'll have to do the math and figure it all out. At this point, I'm not so concerned with VTA, since I'm not even truly convinced of the legitimacy of this particular infatuation people seem to have with this part of TT setup. What does sound like something that can make a significant difference however, is the antiskating force factor you mentioned.

I mean, it sounds pretty logical to me that if the tonearm has a tendency to want to quickly move its self from the record groove to the inner part of the record, that it would have some sort of effect on the sonic characteristics or perhaps the general physical wear on the product its self ? I'm also assuming though, that Rega ships their TT's pre-adjusted, but I'll call and find out.

Also, I'd like to present this article link to you guys which was written by Geoff Husband (TNT France) called: Exposing the VTA Myth ? Pretty lengthy, but very interesting read. Sort of adds some justification to my suspicions about VTA.

Exposing the VTA Myth ?

Back to studying, for now....

Doug

#31106 - 07/03/07 11:18 PM Re: Phono section
LP Spinnin' Fool Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Menlo Park, CA
Well since you have a turntable/arm that does not allow for VTA adjustment its good you are not too concerned! Otherwise you would have to upgrade yer hardware, and frankly most people love the music that comes out of their Rega setup (myself included, although I just sold my P3 because I no longer needed a second 'table).

Two things about VTF: first, recommended VTF is usually a starting point, adjust by ear after that; second, many of my turntable-lovin' friends (and myself) invested in one of those portable digital scales to use for setting VTF. I forget the model I bought and its in storage right now, but you should be able to get a good one with two decimal place accuracy for about $60. Third (I know I know I said two...) after you set your VTF do one more round of cartridge alignment because a change in VTF results in a change of alignment (because the stylus deflects more or less according to the VTF, natch).

You might cast about for a local vinylphile who can come over and give you some tips or help out. You could also subscribe to the phonogram equipment email list where some serious expertise resides - send email to "majordomo@phonogram.net" and in the body of the email put

subscribe phonogram
subscribe equipment
end

Say "Hi" and "Roger sent me" when you get there.

Roger

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts