Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#31092 - 05/07/07 04:56 AM Re: Phono section
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hard to believe that no one has compared the two phono sections. Nothing much to report on this end except that the RR 2150 coupled with my new turntable is sweet, indeed.

Maybe what I'm about to ask is a subject for another section of the forum, but since I've purchased several LPs in the last couple of days—both used and new—I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, but relatively inexpensive vinyl-cleaning solution or system. Among other things, I found a handsome-looking (and sounding) Edith Piaf double LP called The Definitive Piaf. On first glance you'd think it was one of those old Time/Life packages with a booklet and everything, except it was put out by Capitol/EMI. Can't seem to find out exactly how old it is, but on the back it has the following:
Quote:
This monophonic microgroove recording is playable on monophonic and stereophonic phonographs. It cannot become obsolete. It will continue to be a source of outstanding sound reproduction, providing the finest monophonic performance from any phonograph.
Anyway, they certainly weren't lying…

#31093 - 05/10/07 02:47 AM Re: Phono section
cruise Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bucks, PA
I usually check Needledoctor.com for things vinyl. Here is the link to cleaning stuff.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Record-Cleaner

Cheers,
Cruise

#31094 - 05/11/07 10:50 AM Re: Phono section
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Thanx, Cruise. I'm familiar with Needle Doctor--just acquired a Pro-Ject Speed Box Mk II for my turntable from there. Always interested in knowing what others are using, though. Is it me, or did a tumbleweed just blow through the RR 2150 forum?

#31095 - 05/11/07 08:38 PM Re: Phono section
cruise Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bucks, PA
Well, the forum would probably pick up if the 2150 had a no audio bug ;-)

Perhaps everyone is too busy enjoying the music.

Cheers

#31096 - 05/12/07 03:55 PM Re: Phono section
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Yup. I said precisely the same thing a little while back in another Saloon thread…nothing beats the silence of satisfied customers…

#31097 - 05/19/07 11:32 PM Re: Phono section
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
I've a question for you Vinyl people out there. A technical question in fact.

So I decided to take the Rega P2 (with its beautiful glass platter) out of the closet, out of its box, and put it next to my other audio stuff. This "stuff" though, is something I'm hoping to replace sooner than later, with the 2150, and the NAD C521BEE CD player which is STILL in its box, in the closet. (Using DVD player for now)

Quandary: I want to test the TT before I get the Outlaw, because well... it's just sitting there looking all pretty, and I would like to get the hang of using it before I get the 2150 so that I can be prepared for a serious evaluation !

Problem: I did just recently attach the stylus (Rega Ely's) but the last time I touched a TT, it was a fully automatic, and I didn't have to make any adjustments, let alone put the stylus on or anything...

Question: Where can I get good info on adjusting tracking force (how to do it) and other little things like that ? The P2 came with a piece of paper which is supposed to be used to align things, but I don't know where it went (probably amongst many papers in a box), and wonder if there might be some alternative way to get this rolling ?

I'd like to keep this relatively simple/hassle free if possible, but would also like to get the most out of the TT, so I'll do what I must at the end of the day.

Tips, tricks, suggestions, opinions ?

Edit: I may actually have found a solution which answers my own questions:

Basic TT setup kit

Does anyone here have any experience with the compilation of tools in this kit ? And if so, what would you say about each one ? I can probably save money on a couple things like the leveler, since they're available @ any local hardware shop, and the cleaning products I figure that I could get later if the ones in the kit aren't worth getting in the first place. Thoughts on that ? Thanks ...

#31098 - 05/20/07 05:43 AM Re: Phono section
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Maybe I can be useful here - my TT experience goes back to before 1962 when I bought the AR XA which I still use. (Different arm, though.)

1. I notice the basic TT setup kit in the link is not available at the moment, so let's see what can be done without it.
2. First, adjusting tracking force. The specs of your Rega Elys (sp?) cartridge will tell the tracking force, but if they don't, 1.75 grams is a safe place to start for a moving magnet cartridge which I assume the Elys is. How to set that "close enough for government work" is easy. First, mount the cartridge in the arm and attach the four leads, probably by matching colors with the pins. (Bet you've done that already.) Disable the anti-skating. Look at the instructions for the Rega to see how. If you haven't got them, see if you can download them from their web site (I have no idea if this is possible) or go to a Rega dealer and either ask someone there, or take a look at the manual. Then look at the counterweight at the back of the arm. I think it will have a gram scale around it. Turn the counterweight until 0 (zero) is at the 12:00 position. Lift the arm off the rest and position it just outside the edge of the platter and release it, and see if the cartridge end rises or falls. If it simply floats with the arm tube perfectly parallel with the surface of the platter, pour out a libation to the turntable gods. But if it doesn't - which is much more likely - gently slide the counterweight forward or back until you've achieved perfect balance and the arm floats as already described. (You will probably find yourself moving the weight backward or forward in tenths of a millimeter while muttering something along the lines of "this better be worth it" plus bits of assorted Anglo-Saxon.) Balance finally achieved, turn the counterweight, without sliding it any more, until the mark indicating 1.75 grams (probably halfway between 1.5 and 2) is pointing straight up. The downward force on the stylus should now be 1.75 grams, or near as no matter to it.
3. That TT setup kit that isn't shipping right now has a level. You don't need it. Any small carpenter's level will be more accurate. Just lay it on the Rega platter - I mean the one you actually put the record on - in both forward-and-back and side-to-side directions, as near the center as you can. (You can't put it right across the center because of the record spindle.) Do whatever you have to so the bubble is exactly in the center in both directions.
4. Aligning the cartridge is more complicated than I can describe here, but you have two options: (a) Spend about $40 on the Phono Cartridge Alignment Tool from www.turntablebasics.com (best, and cheaper than the kit that isn't shipping). (b) Contact me (psyprof1@cox.net) and I can send you a simple paper gauge that isn't as accurate and doesn't have as much extra useful info, for nothing. I don't need it any more since I got the abovementioned tool.
5. Three more possible alignments. Azimuth (when you look at the cartridge closely from the front as it sits on a stationary record, is it absolutely level rather than tilting to one side or the other?) - with the construction of the pivot of the Rega arm this should not be a problem. Vertical tracking angle (VTA, or when you look at the arm from the side as the cartridge sits on a stationary record, is the arm absolutely parallel to the record surface?) - I think this can be adjusted with the Rega arm, but not at all easily, and if the cartridge is a Rega it should be designed with this arm in mind so forget it. Antiskating force - the best way to adjust this is to find a test record with a grooveless section (ask around at a dealer) and put the already adjusted arm/cartridge combination on this smooth area while the record is turning. It will almost certainly swing toward the center of the record - that's the skating force. Adjust the skating force (look at the instructions) until the arm stays in the same place on the record, swinging neither inward nor outward.

Are we having fun yet? But after doing this, you'll be ready to play records. Oh yeah - get a record cleaning brush - I use a Hunt EDA but there are plenty of others - and a small stylus cleaning brush; again there are plenty of acceptable ones. NOW you're in a position to enjoy vinyl all over again and decide if all this fuss was worth it. My guess is you'll say yes.

Enjoy -

Paul Nay

#31099 - 05/21/07 03:58 AM Re: Phono section
tru blu Offline
Desperado

(Sigh.) Good luck, Doug. As detailed and informative as psyprof1's instructions are, not wanting to deal with same is what helped me decide on the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable, which is equipped with an Ortofon OM-5E moving-magnet cartridge. Near the bottom of the line and yeah, I've already been thinking about upgrading, but boy, does it seem daunting.

Right now, the limited number of LPs I have sound pretty amazing, anyway: Last night, I compared a borrowed copy of the reggae poet Linton Kwesi Johnson's song "Wat About Di Workin' Class?" with its CD counterpart and couldn't believe my ears. Much more drum detail in analog; the stuttered rimshots on the LP sound like dull, mechanized thuds when rendered digitally. Overall, that and the rest of the tracks on the album, Making History, sound much less slick. The subtle, personal way the drummer syncopates the rhythms is audible, as are the bent notes on the track's B.B. King-inspired guitar solo. It's kind of fascinating to discover this stuff firsthand.

#31100 - 05/21/07 07:27 PM Re: Phono section
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Sure sorry you were scared off, tru blu. My instructions about setting stylus force are easier to do than to read about, believe me. I was trying to make all of it useful to anybody with a Rega TT, or some other with the same general construction. That definitely includes yours. Maybe I was too wordy - and the part about libations to the turntable gods can safely be omitted, I think. (It was late at night.)

From what I've read you could upgrade, if you ever wanted to, from the Ortofon OM-5E to the 10E or 30E without changing anything else, as long as you placed the mounting screws exactly the same way. Whether there'd be enough improvement in quality to justify the cost is something I don't know. Does anybody else?

Everybody, enjoy your vinyl - inconveniences and all. (Why, oh why, doesn't somebody make a remote-controlled arm lift, to be used when the phone rings??)

#31101 - 05/21/07 08:07 PM Re: Phono section
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
my SL-5 isn't a Rega, Music Hall or other...
esthetically and sonically...
but fed fresh vinyl...through a decent cartridge...
and ...Damn ! Life is sweet! cool
it's the most idiot\drunk proof TT i've seen...
and it's way younger than most the albums going on there anyway....
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 74 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts