Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#31038 - 01/09/07 12:57 AM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
cruise Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bucks, PA
JayZ,

The volume for LPs is significantly less than for CDs. With CDs, I usually have the volume at or below 9 o'clock...with LP's it is usually at about 11 o'clock.

As has been previously stated, some CDs seem to be mastered hotter than others.

Moving Coil (MC) cartridges are generally considered to be more sensitive and better sounding than moving magnet (mM) cartridges, but they have a lower output and require greater amplification.

#31039 - 01/09/07 07:17 AM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
jayz1006 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for the help everybody. Will test later today and let everybody know the results.

#31040 - 01/14/07 06:47 PM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
ChrisG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Jackson, MI
I just received my 2150 Friday and don't think the volume control via the remote a problem at all. A light touch adjusts the volume level very little, my old Sony STR-DE725 was extremely touchy especially at low volume.

#31041 - 01/26/07 09:47 AM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
DuggieFresh5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Originally posted by JimP:
I tend to listen to mine at low levels, position less than 9:00. I find it touchy to set volume at those lower levels. Sometimes it takes several up/down stabs to get it where I want it.
I'm having a similar issue with the sensitivity. My speakers get pretty loud by time I get to the 9 0'clock position. I haven't hooked up my phono yet to see if the volume control is better at higher "0'clocks".

As a plus, power is definitely not an issue! I'm running a 4-ohm load, bi-wired using A+B terminals. Almost no heat on the top of the unit.

#31042 - 01/29/07 08:46 PM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
geo1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Lebanon Oregon
OK, time for me to weigh in on this issue, well sort of, as I'm about to go down a rabbit trail. Please stay with me. I have had my RR-2150 for about 3 months now, so I believe I can be fair and objective. The knob is not as sensative as I would like via the remote & it also has some play, about 1/8 of an inch when turning the volume up via the knob. I tried the tapping technique, and it works, but it's annoying to do. My take is that Remote controls are not exactly what I would call retro anyway. In fact the digital tuner could go away as well. Give me a good old fashioned analog tuner, nice and tight! The remote is good for controling the unit in general, as I don't find the interface on the front panel very retro and often a pain. For example, the source selector knob clicks solidly twice and on occasion, seems to miss the next selection anyway. OK, here's the good news and the point - I didn't buy the RR-2150 for the interface or the remote. I bought it because of it's execellent sound quality. I'm no audiophile and I don't understand half of what people are talking about here in the saloon, but I am learning and comming up to speed! When I lay down a LP, the RR-2150 delivers what I want to hear and that is the bottom line. The little stuff is just that, little stuff. I'll also say that I love the style that the owners manual is written. Kudos to the technical writer(s)!!!

-geo

#31043 - 01/30/07 07:29 AM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

geo.

Yes, it's bottom line for me also..... it simply has excellent sound quality. Sure, (fill in the blank) could be changed ..... but unless it's going to make it sound even better , it's better to get used to it as it is, it makes life so much less stressful.

There is no pleasing everyone all the time. No matter what is built and presented for sale, there's always going to a percentage of people who are displeased.

The only perfection I know in anything , is it's imperfection.

#31044 - 02/04/07 09:40 AM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
JimP Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cushing, Maine
As I have had my 2150 for several months now, some feed back on the volume control, and the unit in general. I have mine connected to my B&W 802 speakers, which are reasonably efficient. The sound has definitly improved over time. smile I was not impressed when I first set it up, that has changed with time. While it does not compare with the Linn's, Krell's, ARC's, Macintosh's of the world, it doesn't cost thousands of dollars either. I think sound wise, dollar for dollar, it is about impossible to beat the value of this unit. I don't have a record player, so no input on that. I did try hooking up my computer via USB and I was pleased with the sound from that. It was not 'CD' quality, but would pass muster. Listening to a CD or DVD movie the sound is great, I listen for hours. With CD/DVD I have no issues with the remote finding the volume level I want. The volume knob is usually between the 9 and 12 o'clock postions, depending on my mood. Getting the level much past the 12 o'clock position and I find the sound quality takes a nose dive. FM.. not so good, it picks up many more stations than the Denon DR-95 that it replaced. smile But it just doesn't sound right, it seems bright and harsh, I can only listen to most stations for a short time. frown I am not sure if it is the receiver or the broadcast station. The only station that I can listen to for any length of time is the local classical station. Which is leading me to believe it might be the stations. I am using the dipole antenna that came with the unit. When the weather warms up.. I will try hooking it up to a good external antenna and see if that improves the sound. The FM seems to have a higher input level and the volume knob is usually between the 7 and 8 o'clock postions and it is very difficult for me to get the volume where I want it, even with tiny taps on the remote. I usually end up adjusting the volume with the knob rather than the remote when listening to the radio. Time to upgrade CD collection so I don't need the radio.

RR2150, Oppo 970HD, B&W 802 Series 3 Matrix

#31045 - 02/04/07 02:30 PM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Having enjoyed the RR2150 now since about November, I can honestly say that the volume control isn't really an issue. I still think the knob is "squirrelly," as I posted when I first received the unit, but adjusting to the play in it didn't require some huge learning curve. I guess I'm kinda with Garthr: It just is what it is.

My most recent findings, however, concern the USB port. Bought a cable about a week or so ago, and have been listening off and on from my computer ever since. By comparison, the sound quality seems more brittle for jazz records, not quite as inviting as the RR2150 paired with my Marantz CC-4300 CD changer. My guess is that this has something to do with the clarity of analog recordings, because the difference in audio quality I noted on a reissue (to be specific, Stan Getz and Bob Brookmeyer's …Recorded Fall 1961) was not there on something like OutKast's "So Fresh, So Clean" (which, for anyone who's interested, I've decided should be Illinois senator Barack Obama's new theme song). I peruse tracks from Myspace pages and videos on YouTube a fair amount, so I'm pretty pleased with the convenience of the USB.

#31046 - 02/12/07 06:34 PM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
Wayner Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
I believe the "slop" in the volume control is from a gear reduction off the drive motor for the volume control. I wouldn't worry about it.

#31047 - 03/02/07 07:40 PM Re: The Infamous Volume Control
penn stythe Offline
Gunslinger

Try this....two quick taps to the volume control up or down has the effect of increasing or decreasing volume control in smaller increments. Basically....its like a new wife...you just have to get used to her. (oh boy, here it comes!)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts