Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#30827 - 11/11/06 03:19 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You get a warranty - Outlaw's warranties are fully transferrable. That's one reason that Outlaw's gear retains is resale value so well.

I would say this: a product that is getting 88% to 100% of its future new value and 96% to 110% if its current new value can't be too shabby a piece of electronics. wink

#30828 - 11/11/06 07:33 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

So it still has a warranty, then $650.00 with no wait doesn't look so bad after all. I got a email before mine arrived stating that all new orders were going up to $649.00 plus shipping so it doesn't sound to bad. Hell at least you don't have to wait 5 and a half months like I did to find out you don't like it!

#30829 - 11/11/06 07:49 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
But in the end, bughunter, you did admit to liking the RR2150—just in an alternate (more suitable?) setup.

#30830 - 11/12/06 06:45 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

My RR2150's 2 year warranty does not say if it is transferrable or not. I'd ask Outlaw before assuming anything. The warranty may or may not be different for different products.

I don't think the wait for future orders will be like it has been. There's nothing like new products smile

#30831 - 11/12/06 08:15 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's true but it's a shame that with all the hype it doesn't seem to surpass the HK 3480 and it can be bought for $200.00! I'll have to listen to one of those before I spend anymore money just for comparison reasons.

#30832 - 11/12/06 09:58 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

Well no, you'd have to spend a signifigant amount(probably at least $1500-2000) to improve appreciably on the sound of the HK 3480. I own one. My problem with the HK is the amount of electrical noise that comes from it ..... it buzzes like an electrical tower.With sensitive headphones and speakers it is rather annoying to hear this in the background. I tried 4 different units from them , all the same. I also question durability of the unit. They're inexpensive for a reason. That said, it's a very appealing unit, I like the linear and blue lit volume control . It sounds quite good, and it "appears" to be an excellent value .... I say "appears" because what value is it if it is noisy ....and I've read a number of premature failures from HK. These are the days of throw away electronics ..... and these more or less are for the price paid for them. Have you ever wondered how HK can offer 2 3380-Z's and 2 3480-Z's(refurbs) per day on Ebay for bid? That's a whole lotta refurbished units !!

All brands are hyped, not just Outlaw. Every brand has their bashers and their promoters. Is the RR2150 worth twice the price of an HK 3480? (the $200 ones are refurbs,new ones about $275 and up) If it takes twice the money to filter out the DC noise, then so be it.... it's well worth it. I've learned value is all about perception, because there is no formula for it .... except in our personal brains. It is not dependent of dollars at all.

Did I want to spend the extra to get a RR2150 ? .... not really ..... but because of the noise of the HK I had to find an alternative. That one thing was offensive to me ..... and no fixable. We're lucky to find a unit that sounds good and doesn't offend us in some way that we don't want to use it. You really have to know yourself to find a suitable "whatever" you buy.

So ... is the RR2150 a good value? Are there better brands and models? Each listener must decide for themselves. . . . . that's why there are so many brands and models. It's like falling in love(buying an amp or whatever) ...... you're so enamoured with the other, you look past all the faults. Then one day you wake up and find them no longer so teriffic ...... and wonder what was I thinking? You start looking at others(people or products)...... and eventually break up(sell your goods). You immediately go on a search for another.... hopefully wiser from the last experience .... but often not ! smile

Good day, Garth

#30833 - 11/12/06 10:14 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

All of Outlaw's warranties are transferrable - I'm sure the 2150 is no exception. You are also quite right that the lengthy delay in getting product in hand this year is not going to be the normal situation from here on out. As Outlaw stated when they announced the delay, they have moved production to the new factory specifically to eliminate the shortages (previous factory couldn't keep up), and now that the new factory is geared up they should be able to keep 2150's in stock just like they do any other product.

#30834 - 11/12/06 07:56 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know anything about future delays in the production of the RR2150 as I'm only a consumer. I also have not heard of the noise with the HK-3480 but then again you may have received a lemon. I've talked to three people who own the HK-3480 and one who owned the Outlaw RR 1250 who changed over to the HK-3480 and noise is not a issue at all. So again we all hear differently and what will we do? I believe that we all have to be realistic when we listen and review all these components. All receivers, intergrated amps, power amps sound different as well as the speakers or other components we use with them. You can drive a pair of Klispch Horns with just about anything! Then again try to drive a pair of Thiels with 20 watts per channel. Outlaw seems to make some very nice products, they aren't Krell or Simaudio but neither is the price. I had some dislikes with Outlaw but it was all with products in the same or close to the same price range. I just wonder how it's going to hold up after the change in manufacturing from the original. I mean who made the original and who's making it now? I guess this is a question we aren't allowed to ask or should I say allowed to know...

#30835 - 11/12/06 10:54 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

We haven't been told the exact identity of either factory, true enough. (One could argue that you very rarely are told what specific factory builds your electronics, but that's sort of an indirect response.) The design is the same, of course, and if consumer electronics design has anything in common with construction (the area where I do my engineering) then Outlaw established specifications, scheduled specific parts to be used (possibly with named equals that could be substituted), and has the ability to oversee the manufacturing in order to see to it that the end product is at least equal.

The reason for the factory change was stated by Outlaw to be the original source's inability to keep up with demand. Beginning around last December, they've been constantly struggling to keep up with demand, especially after Stereophile's review - making it the only Outlaw product that I've ever seen have chronic supply problems. The logical assumption to be made is that they had assurances (backed up by some nice, hard numbers) to tell them that the new factory could keep up with the supply, otherwise they would have never taken the pretty drastic measure of relocating production after introducing the product to market.

I think garthr has summed things up very well: each listener is the best (some might say "only") judge of what is right for him or her, and no one piece of electronics is going to be right for everyone. That's part of what makes forums like this one so interesting, useful, and sometimes contentious: lots of different viewpoints, each based on a different perspective. Now that RR2150 shipments have begun again in significant numbers, this forum is beginning to see more and more of those different viewpoints, which is a great resource for both owners (comparing tips and ideas for making best use of the 2150, for example) and prospective owners (looking for first-hand feedback from multiple viewpoints).

#30836 - 11/13/06 06:14 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

In regards to the HK 3480, I went thru 4 of them .... all the same electrical noise. The last one was even a from a long waited fresh batch from China(even HK has delivery delays you know). I gave it to my father.

Without using headphones, the I really didn't notice the noise. I had to start using headphones at times because of my neighbors...... and that's when I noticed it. I tried 5 different models of headphones before settling on the Sennheiser HD-595's, and the noise came through in all of them. Once I was aware of the sound, I wondered why I didn't hear it through the speakers ..... and in a silent room I realized it was there...... faintly, but there. In this case .... ignorance was bliss.... awareness was not !

Again though ..... we all hear differently. Certain sounds and frequencies affect us in different ways...... usually we're not even aware of it until some moment hightens our awareness of it.

Now, one can wonder if the RR2150 is worth it comapred to the HK. For perspective, I was underwhelmed by the $900 NAD C372 integrated amp.I preferred the HK sound to it also.... and the dollar comparison is 3 to 1. Listening pleasure doesn't care about what costs what. If you can purchase something that sounds good and doesn't offend you in any way .... buy it.... regardless of price.

Being frugal by nature, I've learned over time that there's a time for spending a little more than think I "should". What are "shoulds", but self imposed limitations? There are so many unexpected ways to gain and lose money, the energy wasted thinking about it is far worse than actually spending it.

-Garth

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts