Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#30817 - 11/09/06 01:19 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
LP Spinnin' Fool Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Menlo Park, CA
Here is my general reaction to these comparisons.

In a piece like the RR2150, what I would be looking for is primarily "doesn't do anything annoying". Given the reviews it looks like it does some things pretty darn well, but the review that caused me to place my order was Mikey Fremer's putting it into a no-holds-barred system. The fact that he played music through it for at least two days from a very very good source through very revealing speakers spoke volumes for me. It didn't do anything that made him yank it out of the system. That to me in a $600 receiver is very good because at this price point there are compromises made all over the place in the design and build.

Just my $0.02....Roger

#30818 - 11/09/06 03:55 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

"Something that doesn't annoy or offend" . . . That's a good reference for me also Roger.

At this price range(<$1000) there was something offensive about every unit I have tried, including Marantz,NAD, Denon, Yamaha,Onkyo,Sony and Harman Kardon..... all due to their sound. The RR2150 has been an exception.

The only flaw I have found in the RR2150 so far is adjusting the volume using the remote. Using the control on the reciever is fine, but with the remote it is almost unusable . With headphones it is impossible to make small adjustments. It seems like the adjusments are anywhere between +3db and +6db per tap of the remote.... and that's if you have good reflexes! Using the remote is like Morse Code or something...... you have to use a combo of micro taps and macro taps to try to get to the desired level. If I had to rely on the remote to adjust it, I probably could not keep the unit. Luckily I do not, but I sure feel for those that do confused Just because the unit is labelled "retro" , shouldn't mean the remote volume adjustment needs to be inferior to about every product out there today. Yes, that's harsh ..... but honest. A linear volume control would work better, and I would gladly pay extra for it, and it would not take away any of it's "retro-ness".

-Garth

#30819 - 11/10/06 01:54 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'm glad to see everyone likes there Outlaw RR2150 as well as I like my NAD C720BEE. I agree totally with peoples hearing all being different and that some find the Outlaw more pleasing to there ears than the NAD. I still think the NAD's 50 watts per channel has more bass extension, more detail, midrange on the two is very close and the top is is much better on the NAD. I also found that the soundstage is wider and fuller on the NAD and this may be the speakers I'm using with it. One system includes the NAD C720BEE receiver, NAD C542 HDCD Player, NAD T534 DVD Player, A pair of Revel F 12 Concerta Floorstanding Loudspeakers and a Athena AS-P 4000 Subwoofer, A Sony Bravia XBR 40" HD LCD T.V., All Cobalt cables. Another system includes the NAD C720BEE receiver, Oppo DV-970HD DVD/CD Player, JVC XL-F258 CD Changer, Sony SLV-675HF VCR, Hughes AK-500 SRS Retriever, Monitor Audio Silver RS-6 Floorstanding speakers, Athena AS-P 400 Subwoofer, Olevia 532H 32" HD LCD T.V.. I also have a system in my studio that uses some older electronics like Marantz, Audio Dynamics, Monitor Audio, Philips, Linn turntable. I think the speakers work well with the NAD, better than they did with the Outlaw. It only makes sense that the majority of people on this site will vote for the Outlaw since this is Outlaws website. It doesn't matter to me who likes NAD, but I sure see alot of people pairing there CD players and DVD players with the outlaw RR2150. I also believe that my Oppo 970 is a better DVD/CD player than my NAD T534 and the Oppo was $149.00 and the NAD was $500.00. Again simply my opinion...

#30820 - 11/10/06 04:18 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

I gotta ad something else... I just came from my son's and he has the Outlaw hooked up to a pair of Athena ASF2 Floorstanding speakers and a Athena AS-P 4000. Now he tried something I didn't. He is running the F2's through the Athena via low level, speaker terminals and by passing the sub out and bass management all together and all I can say is WOW! Truly amazing to say the least. I have been a person over the years that really believed that the name game and price paid made the difference but that is far from true. I have learned in the past 5 or so years that todays equiptment like Outlaw, NAD, Oppo, Athena are truly fine components and at a very good price. You no longer need to spend a arm & a leg to get a really great sounding system. I can't wait to hear the Athena LS-500's.

#30821 - 11/10/06 06:20 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by bughunter:
I gotta ad something else... I just came from my son's and he has the Outlaw hooked up to a pair of Athena ASF2 Floorstanding speakers and a Athena AS-P 4000. Now he tried something I didn't. He is running the F2's through the Athena via low level, speaker terminals and by passing the sub out and bass management all together and all I can say is WOW! Truly amazing to say the least. I have been a person over the years that really believed that the name game and price paid made the difference but that is far from true. I have learned in the past 5 or so years that todays equiptment like Outlaw, NAD, Oppo, Athena are truly fine components and at a very good price. You no longer need to spend a arm & a leg to get a really great sounding system. I can't wait to hear the Athena LS-500's.
Very interesting observation. Are you curious now to do more side by side comparisons with all the equipment you and your son have ? I'd be curious myself actually, and would really like to hear your opinions of the Outlaw Vs. your NAD on different speakers, bypassing the sub as you have done up above.

Doug

#30822 - 11/11/06 09:24 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

I might do a few more comparisons, kind of a pain now that it's at my son's place. Since there starting to show up for sale on audiogon and ebay now maybe I'll pick up another just to play around with it.

#30823 - 11/11/06 10:07 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The one 2150 I saw on Audiogon a few days ago was going for $575 - not exactly a bargain in comparison to $600 for a new one...

#30824 - 11/11/06 02:23 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

There's one for $650.00 as well. The new ones took a price increase, no longer $599.00. I guess they have a point, at least there's no wait!

#30825 - 11/11/06 02:41 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
They haven't raised the price yet, though - not until they are shipping from inventory - so that one for $650 is even less of a bargain. wink

#30826 - 11/11/06 02:58 PM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

They're still $599. Put one into your cart .
I saw the one for $650 on Audiogon ...... I hope no one buys it from the seller because he's trying to rip someone off.Not only that, you get no warranty. Even the one at $575 is no deal at all ..... no warranty.

Sadly, the old saying holds true ....... there's one born every minute.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts