Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#30867 - 12/07/06 02:03 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder Colorado
You're right Bug...

Michael Fremer is full of shit and knows nothing about audio. He wouldn't know a quality piece of gear if it fell on him...or maybe not...

"...Give a listen to this $599 receiver. You'll be in for a big surprise—especially if you have megabuck electronics. If this was sold through the usual channels instead of exclusively online, it would cost twice as much and still be worth every cent..."

"... This little receiver delivered the deep bass on that gut-punishing record far more effectively than I could have imagined it would. The extension and punch were there, and while the control wasn't quite up there with my $23,000/pair, 1kWpc reference Musical Fidelity monoblocks, the RR2150 didn't embarrass itself..."

- Michael Fremer, Mar 06

"...The Outlaw RR2150 exceeded its 100Wpc specification by 1dB, delivering no less than 125W into 8 ohms (21dBW) at clipping, defined as 1% THD (fig.6). It gave 190W into 4 ohms (19.8dB), this 0.8dB higher than the specified 160W, and even managed 310W into 2 ohms with one channel driven (18.9dBW). That this $600 receiver managed to survive this high-power testing without blowing fuses or anything breaking is high praise. The RR2150 is a powerhouse!..."

- John Atkinson, Mar 06

(The above two quotations are cited below)

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/306outlaw/

#30868 - 12/07/06 03:27 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Machine Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

For an individual to waive the option to return a product due to dissatisfaction, but rather choose to detach themselves from the product by a means more likely to reduce the return on initial investment (ebay); it is highly probable that the individual:

a) is an idiot

b) Damaged the product in some way which revokes their return privilege leaving no choice but private sale.

C) lacks the ability to rationalize a situation (see point a)

#30869 - 12/07/06 04:44 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder Colorado
None of the subwoofers he has appears to have a volume bypass. I just downloaded the manual for the Athena 400 and the 4000. Each manual contains instructions for setup that explain from 4-6 different ways of installation (depending on the sub).

Each method ends with the following:

"Adjust the Volume Control (knob #1 diagram #1) to match the output of the system.
This can be done to suit your personal taste, and room size. Start somewhere in the
middle of the dial and adjust as you feel is necessary."

- ASP400 Manual, page 3
(also on the ASP4000 manual, page 3)

The two RCA inputs on his subwoofer are the typical standard (crossover circuit) input and a bypass for a LFE channel. The volume control does not appear to be bypassed.

I would normally be more civil than this.

Bug,
I am glad you like your NAD, but I question your ability to properly operate your equipment. I am guessing that you have not properly integrated your subwoofer to your speakers and the addition of the bass management in the reciever is too much for you to handle.

First, there is no high-pass applied to the NAD speaker outputs, thus, the speakers are running full-range along with your added subwoofer output. The subwoofer output of the NAD is crossed at 100 Hz, attenuated at 3dB per octave above that.

Second, this means that your subwoofer channel is only down about 6 dB at 200, 9dB at 400, etc - well into the midrange. Without properly using the crossover of your sub, you are using it too high and creating an artificially high output in your low midrange.

Thus, what you are hearing as "authoritative bass" is really a hump in your frequency response of about 20dB from improperly integrating your subwoofer. I would like to see a chart of your frequency response from 20-20K. I doubt it is in any way flat - I imagine it looks like a mountain range.

The Outlaw is both high-passed and low-passed at 12dB. That means that the mains are not being forced to reproduce bass less than one octave below your chosen crossover and the amp will perform better. The output on the outlaw is not weak - you just don't know how to use it.

Further, you probably don't have your speakers set up correctly nor do you have the subwoofer in a position that best integrates with them. You may even be sitting in a null or spike in your room's acoustic response.

#30870 - 12/07/06 06:21 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

That's an excellent explanation audioferret . I get the feeling that bughunter is very inexperienced in using/buying/trying out audio gear. There's too much this guy said this and that . Maybe someday he'll look back at this experience and give him/herself a big Homer Simpson DOHHH !

Isn't it amzing how things work when you read the manual ? ...... you know ...... that bit of paper people hastily discard with the box like kids at christmas. eek Consumers do this all the time.

#30871 - 12/07/06 07:56 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

All of you Mouth breathin' moron's need to go back and read from the beginning! Now I guess I'm no longer supposed to take it to a dealer afterall and have it compared. What's the matter boys are we gettin' a little worried that it may prove to be a piece of junk? I'm not like the rest of you punks where I have to get up and go to work, I have all day to buy audio gear and play with it. That's what gives me the edge as I have time to find out what is worth the price and what is not. I have lots of money and time... If any of you would have read the previous remarks you would know that I tried many subwoofers and they were all hooked up in as many ways as could be. Don't be pissed at me because we all bought a receiver, waited months and it turned out to be a piece of junk. Now if you want to talk about a great piece that is a true bargain it's the Oppo 970. There's a company that has really done the job right! See ya Girls... LOL!

#30872 - 12/07/06 08:04 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
Anonymous
Unregistered

I forgot to ad, audioferret you are a true idiot!

#30873 - 12/07/06 08:28 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
jayz1006 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Don't feed the trolls.

#30874 - 12/07/06 09:50 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

Agreed, I've not been in this forum that long, but from what I've seen it's been cordial and intelligent. .. . . no trollbait . . . . until this one.

I guess that's the beauty .... and the curse .... of online forums.. . . . we're free to be ourselves.

#30875 - 12/07/06 09:58 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jayz1006:
Don't feed the trolls.
Sigh... Seconded.

#30876 - 12/07/06 10:44 AM Re: My Outlaw RR 2150 Receiver
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Audioferret and Jayz both got it right. A whiney troll who has no concept of how to set up his(her) equipment and absolutely no clue of what bass is or how it sounds in a quality set-up (or live)!

I'm all for high-end products. I am having an electrostatic headphone amplifier/preamp manufactured for me for my home 2-channel set-up. I would hope it would smoke the Outlaw since it costs significantly more. But for my office system the Outlaw is just right especially with the USB and mini-jack inputs and the really good headphone output.

Oh BTW where exactly is this NAD receiver manufactured? I could find nothing on their web site or in amy of their PDF documents.

Lastly, just for the H of it, I called my local NAD dealer. I had never spoken to him before and have never been in his shop but he was more than willing to let me bring in the Outlaw (or any other equipment I want) to compare to any equipment he carries. His only request was that I set up an appointment to do so. I think you need to find a better dealer(s) Mr. Uniramia Seeker.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts