Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#30522 - 11/07/06 02:53 PM Re: USB input
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

I've tested the external loop to use it as a second loop and it works perfectly as a line level input/output. I don't record but I simply wanted to know if worked to send the signal from the RR2150 to another source..... and it indeed does, just remember to activate the external loop button. So, if you don't use an external processor, count it as another aux input/outout. Don't forget the front input jack can be used as an additional input if you really need it. I was initially concerned over the lack of total inputs, but five plus the phono is all I'll ever need.

As gonk did, it really hepls to read the manual if you own a RR2150, or download the PDF version if you're interested in one. I studied mine before I received it so there was no suprises of how it worked. The real pleasant suprise comes from how it sounds:)

#30523 - 11/10/06 01:01 PM Re: USB input
Billman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Thanks, guys! The external loop suggestion is an excellent idea - I wasn't sure it would work like this based on it's description in the manual, as I'd interpreted it as a signal processing (e.g., equalizing) path. Having to activate the external loop button reminds me of the old "tape monitor" button on cassette decks.

I, too, have been dismayed with the number of inputs on the 2150. This helps.

Does anyone have a suggestion whether the external loop ports would be more appropriate for the computer connection rather than the tape player conncetion? (I don't think it matter, really, as long as I pay attention to the external loop button.)

#30524 - 11/10/06 01:37 PM Re: USB input
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I wouldn't think that the computer or the tape deck would have any preference between the external loop and the tape loop - the two are doing basically the same thing for recording purposes (a fixed level output). It might depend more than anything else on how you use the two recording devices. If you record to the tape deck a lot while listening to some other source, then the tape deck would be better off connected to the tape loop instead of the processor loop. On the other hand, if you really do think that you're not going to record to tape much anymore, you may want to hook it to the processor loop as a sort of insurance policy ("I don't think I'll need it, but I don't want to have to run extra cables to do it if the need does arise") and let the computer have the tape loop for the more routine recording duties.

#30525 - 11/19/06 11:45 AM Re: USB input
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

I hooked up my RR2150 to my computer using the USB today , and it sounded pretty good actually. Sound quality isn't as good as a CD, but it's not unlistenable either.. I used a .wav format for comparing tracks. I'm still not up to speed on all the varying file formats and sizes when saving music to my hard drive, but I do my best. There was zero background noise, much better than the noisy Creative Live sound card's output.

I listened with headphones mostly, with my Sennheiser 595's being more forgiving than my speakers(Bose 601 series II). The music from the CD's are surely more lively, and it's more noticeable on the speakers than the headphones.

If I can ever get high-speed internet available to our home, I'd use it for some internet radio and other streaming audio for sure. That's ...... if .

-Garth

#30526 - 11/19/06 03:37 PM Re: USB input
melomaniac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: california
I'd add only that my experience has been just like fred von lohmann's - perfectly acceptable sound, much better than the built-in computer audio hardware. there was a faint hissing in some recordings over the USB connections, but changing to a better USB cable seems to have banished that. the USB-in was one of the reasons for me to buy the RR2150. I'm still trying to find a good tubed DAC to feed computer audio into a nice system, since I am not about to sink serious money into a universal player when I have several devices in the house that can play anything already. but until then, I am quite happy with using computers as transports.

#30527 - 11/29/06 11:02 PM Re: USB input
Durask Offline
Gunslinger

Very pleased with the USB connection - I have most of my CDs ripped into FLAC and do not see myself ever investing into any kind of expensive CD player - playing music from the PC is a convenience that just can't be beat in my opinion.

#30528 - 12/04/06 07:20 PM Re: USB input
jayz1006 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Just bought a USB cable the other day and it is so nice not having to dig through 10 different cases looking for the music I want to play. Sound quality is pretty good but having your entire library at you fingertips is priceless. I'm having a blast just searching for songs I have not listened to in years smile

#30529 - 12/04/06 07:26 PM Re: USB input
jayz1006 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Oh yeah and one other thing.... For anybody out there with Sirius or XM. You can access the service online and play through your 2150!

#30530 - 03/02/07 09:40 AM Re: USB input
Carlos Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto
The USB thing has me somewhat confused, I went to great lengths to download directly from original CD's, at 320 Kbps on an AAC format, via Itunes. I was under the impression that the UBS would allow the 2150 to process the info, but I can still control volume, bass and treble through windows. Maybe this does not matter, but I am wondering what these levels should be so that I am optimising the capabilities of the 2150. Any thoughts, maybe I should go back to the CD player, but I like the convenience, also a number of people complained about the sound quality when using the USB port, is that perhaps because they are downloading the music with a greater compression, mine seems to sound fine, but I do not have a CD player right now, so it is difficult to compare, as an aside does anyone have Axiom speakers I just ordered some M80's and would appreciate some feed back.

#30531 - 03/02/07 02:21 PM Re: USB input
garthr Offline
Gunslinger

The loss of sound quality that people express is from the compression being used, not the USB connection.

If you want the quality of the original cd, then that's what you should stick with. There is no magic compression technology that sounds as good as the original disc .

I'm a CD listener, I don't download music. AAC is just another form of compression . Apple itunes , to me , is just another way they try to hook a consumer into spending your $$ with them. It seems convenient and all, but convenience here comes at the price of losing musical data, hence quality ..... and CD's already have lost a substantial amount compared to real analogue recordings .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts