Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#29543 - 07/22/05 04:11 AM How to hookup REL Storm sub to 770??
)-shArk) Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: somewhere....lurking
Hello fellow Outlaws.
Anyone know the proper way to hook up a REL Storm sub high-level inputs to the 770?
The high-level input on the REL is used to provide a 'matched' signal for blending the REL sub with the mains nicely. The high-level input is not intended to drive the sub, it has it's own amp built in.
I also will use the low-level input on the REL to feed the sub LFE effects for cinema. This is REL's preferred setup method, using both high and low level inputs for providing different sub-bass signature when listening to movies or 2-ch stereo. I've heard it, and i'm a believer!
Thing is, I'm not sure how the 770 needs to have this high-level connection from the REL wired to it- I know the 770 is not a common ground amplifier, is it differential?

Could someone who knows the 770 architecture please look at pages 12, 13, 14 of the REL manual and let me know? I would be forever grateful!
Link: http://sumikoaudio.net/rel/manuals/ST-Series-Manual.pdf

In case anyone is wondering, I LOVE my 770, it rocks with my Martin Logan Clarity mains, ML Cinema center and 4 Energy Veritas Reference R2.0i's for side / surround. Preamp is an AVM30 and a Lexicon MC-1 V4 (I switch them out on occasion)- The 770 mates up with everything perfectly and provides plenty of punch. 770 feels very transparent in my system and transmits the open airy musical nature of the AVM30's superb 2-channel analog section as well as the insane cinematic and channel-separate effects of the Lexicon.

Regards,

#29544 - 07/22/05 07:36 AM Re: How to hookup REL Storm sub to 770??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It would appear to me that the option for using the high level inputs to connect the sub to amp outputs was included for the case where the sub was used in a two-channel system that lacked any sort of low level subwoofer output. Think of a case such as a "traditional" stereo pre-amp - there is typically no bass management in the pre, and the assumption is that the speakers used will be as close to full range as possible, making it impossible to connect a subwoofer without either intercepting the left and right channel pre-amp outputs or somehow tying into the high level outputs at the amp. In your case, both the AVM30 and MC1 have built-in bass management and a low level subwoofer output, allowing you to use the hook-up instructions on pages 16 and 17 - which would actually be the preferable approach, since it allows you to make use of that bass management.

#29545 - 07/22/05 11:35 AM Re: How to hookup REL Storm sub to 770??
)-shArk) Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk-
Yep I swear this is -everyone's- first thought. Why the heck hook up the high level?? eek
I mean, we all have crazy uber pre/pro's with bass management and low level output!

The REL is an integrating component and uses the high-level inputs to 'see' the same signal that the mains see, which gives it ability to take on a more identical sonic signature with the mains.

You need to read some of the REL Storm reviews, their approach is very unique and it does produce extremely nice flat and seamless sub-bass with any main speakers. The REL is a 'sub-bass' woofer and is meant to be crossed over at 28-30hz. The amazing thing about these subs besides being able to cleanly reproduce bass in the lower range is their ability to let you really hear / feel tonal and transitional differences in the low bass range vs. 'boom boom boom' like most subs.

Here's a good review: http://www.audaud.com/audaud/OCT01/EQUIP/equip3OCT01.html
Here's REL at CES2001: http://www.ambrosia.com/CES2001/rel.html
And one more review: http://www.soundstage.com/candystore/candystore200312.htm

I STILL need help! My REL will be here on Tuesday!!

#29546 - 07/23/05 03:58 AM Re: How to hookup REL Storm sub to 770??
)-shArk) Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

OK- I received an excellent answer from Steve in Outlaw tech support. He spoke with REL and the hookup would be as follows:

Red hi-level wire from REL to + amp terminal used for Right Front channel
Yellow hi-level wire from REL to + amp terminal used for Left Front channel
Black hi-level wire from REL to chassis ground terminal on 770.

If anyone else comes across this problem, the answer has been posted.
Thanks Outlaw and thanks Steve for going out of your way to help me out!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts