Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#29468 - 04/27/05 10:09 AM Front L+R spkrs: Choices...question
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Sorry if I'm starting another topic and getting things crowded. Didn't know where to put this so I arbitrarily chose amps. Been reading forums for several wks now. Seen many different spkrs mentioned.

Question: Any outlaws-enthusiasts out there running Crown (or RTR) ES-212's or 224's (electrostatics) ? for front L&R

Anyone running other electrostatics (MartinLogan for example) for front L&R....

and do you think the 200 watt platform in the M200, 770, 755 will handle it OK.

Also do you think biamping is necessary or helpful. I now biamp ES224's with Crown DC300s
Thanks in advance
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#29469 - 04/27/05 12:31 PM Re: Front L+R spkrs: Choices...question
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i do not know your speakers, but my advice with bi-amping is this:

if you are passive bi-amping the speakers you are only getting more power.

if you are active bi-amping the speakers, better results could be reached with a good crossover setup (though you have to know what you are doing).

#29470 - 04/28/05 07:09 PM Re: Front L+R spkrs: Choices...question
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
nfaguys,

Have you seen this thread about what speakers some of us are using? The saloon contains a few similar threads if you hunt around. There are some Martin-Logan users out there but I can't recall any names right now. Paul J. Stiles and myself use Acoustats in various forms. I don't use Outlaw amplifiers and I'm not sure what Paul uses. If your question is whether Outlaw amps could handle an electrostatic load I think you would be safe. A call to customer service for advice and a free 30 day trial period could give you some assurance.
The brouchure for your speakers indicate they are rated at 150 watts but I don't think a 200 watt Outlaw would be too much. Most speakers are damaged by driving a too small amp into clipping than by absorbing too much clean power from a larger amp. The Crown DC300's are conservatively rated at 150 watts @ 8 ohms.
The ES-224 is an interesting vintage hybrid design. I can't say I'm familiar with them but they look ripe for some mods. How long have you had them? Are they stock or have they been modified at all? I assume they sound good, to your ears at least.
Since you are already bi-amping I'm not sure what you are questioning...you must realize the benefits, right?? If you are considering adding an Outlaw amp to the equation I would use them on top driving the electrostatic section to take advantage of their smoother more refined sound character. Then if you want to keep the DC300's you could use them to drive the woofer sections. You didn't mention what crossover or preamp you are using but the level controls on the Crown amps would allow you to balance out any sensitivity/gain issues between the amps.

#29471 - 04/28/05 07:56 PM Re: Front L+R spkrs: Choices...question
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Hi Tekdredger and thanks for your response. I bought them used and have had them at least twenty years. No modifications. They do sound quite clean and transparent. Actually I have six sets.

Four sets are in my basement sound-room where I play originally recorded 4 channel live big band material. I bi-amp these use DC300s of varying vintages. Yes I understand the benefits of biamping in that with my DC300s I can increase the bass or treble since there are volume controls. You asked re: crossover etc. I'm using two Crown SL2 preamps in the 4 ch array. Also a pair of stereo EQ's as needed. No crossover. Sounds quite live. Living room with two ES224s [soon to become 5.1 and maybe later 7.1]currently uses an old Mac C28 preamp [for now] which has held up for 30 yrs.

In my living room where Mrs. nfaguy and I will have our (initially 5.1---maybe more later-since this is my initial trip into it)I have my other two sets. I was wondering if there was a way to do this with 990/950 series of pre/pros. This question since I noted that on the 755 (with which I'll start this venture) there are no volume controls. I plan to use them as Front R & L spkrs. I do have a DC300A Series II up there and am running them non-bi-amped now. So I guessI could [as you say] put them on the woofer section, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

I was thinking to use the 755 as the 5 ch amp for the Center, Front R&L and surrounds. Maybe the DC300 for the other, later.

Thanks for your input. Any additional thoughts from you or anyone are most welcome. Please remember I'm REALLY a newbie at 5.1 and hope to have my 990 and 775 ASAP...
Sincerely
nfaguy...the newbie
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

#29472 - 04/29/05 10:21 AM Re: Front L+R spkrs: Choices...question
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
using more than one preamp to create a crossover network is not that dissimilar to just using a crossover network. if that is what you were saying... ANYWAY, my point was that you need to control the sound going to the respective speakers (tweeter, mid, bass) and have NO crossover inside the speaker. it seems like you may know this already and just wanted some support for you decision to bi-amp. well i'm afraid that i dont always agree that bi-amping makes a speaker better. those speakers are probably older than i am, so i couldnt offer any insight into them.

#29473 - 04/29/05 07:32 PM Re: Front L+R spkrs: Choices...question
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Thanks guys. I guess the ears will have to make the decisions :-)
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts