Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#29281 - 01/29/04 03:57 PM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

I have Klipsch KLF 30's for the main L/R, RC3II for center and SB2's for the surrounds. I have B&K Ref 2220 for the main L/R and B&K 3140 for center and surrounds. A budy of mine has Klipsch ref series all the way around with Parasound ampage and it sounds quite good as well. I also read on Klipsch forums that Rotel amps mate well with Klipsch. But I have to agree with Soundhound that tubes are the ultimate in warm sound, as my guitar amp is all tube design and the sound is really smooth.

#29282 - 01/30/04 11:32 AM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
JBP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Are there any companies that make tube amps for HT that don't cost a fortune?

#29283 - 01/30/04 12:16 PM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
There are no companies that make tube amplifiers specifically for Home Theater period.

Jolida makes some relatively inexpensive ones for general use, but generally speaking they cost more because their manufacture involves component parts that are difficult and expensive to make, such as the output transformer.

If you have relatively efficient speakers, you do not need any more power than about 35-50 watts of power from a tube amplifier. There are a number of tube amps that fall into this category that don't cost a fortune. Whether these fall into your budget range is another matter.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 30, 2004).]

#29284 - 01/30/04 12:17 PM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Antique Sound Labs makes some cheaper tube amps.

www.divertech.com

Decaware is also a popular brand for less expensive tube gear.

SH usually recommends Jolida who also receives some very good reviews from around the web.

As with any of the above, it's usually about how they integrate with the rest of your system. The right amp with the wrongs speakers isn't going to sound that good no matter the price. Also, note that most of the inexpensive tube gear has some DIY experience applied.

Good luck!

#29285 - 02/05/04 11:06 PM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
Stanny1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: La Mesa,Ca,USA
If you feel that there is a similarity between the Outlaw Amps and those made by ATI, well, it's more than just a similarity.
Morris Kessler at ATI makes most, if not all the Outlaw amps.
However, I think the Outlaw product is by far the better value.
I plan on getting the 950/770 Combo and more in about 2 months.

#29286 - 02/16/04 01:00 PM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
cycole1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa florida

#29287 - 02/16/04 01:22 PM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
do you really want to get into tube amps for ht? probably not, hence the fact that most tube amp manufacturers design their products for stereo, where the distortion that the tubes add can best be appreciated to achieve the sound that you like. i have not run across any amp that would be as good as an outlaw for cost vs quality. i think monoblocks for each channel is the way to go, and i would like to see outlaw incorporate a monoblock for each channel multi-channel power amp.

#29288 - 02/18/04 12:37 AM Re: Outlaw vs. Other Amplifiers
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
...hence the fact that most tube amp manufacturers design their products for stereo, where the distortion that the tubes add can best be appreciated to achieve the sound that you like.

1) Properly functioning tube amps do not generate audible distrotion when used within their power ratings. Their characteristic sound quality actually has very little to do with the quantity of distrotion produced.

2) Tube amps are not designed "for stereo" or any particular number of channels. Many current tube amps are monoblocks.

3) Assuming speakers with efficiencies of around 90db/watt or better, tubes make excellent amps for HT use.

There is a reason that you see manufacturers of solid state amps comparing the sound of their amps to tubes, but you will never see "this amp caputres the sound of solid state!"

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 18, 2004).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts