Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#29244 - 01/20/04 07:54 AM High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
JOELTJAMES Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Taylor Mill, KY
I need for someone out there to play the roll of a techincal sales person and sale me on why I should buy the 770 high end amp. When I tell my family members and my friends that I am going to up grade to the 200 watt 770 Outlaw amp, I allways hear the same thing. Why do you want more power,the setup you have is loud enough. With that said how to you response to this common comment?

#29245 - 01/20/04 09:29 AM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My short answer is that I was more interested in improving sound than in increasing volume when I bought a separate amp. The reason for adding an amp like the 770 (or the 7100) is not necessarily for loudness. Most people who upgrade to a separate power amp are looking for improved sound first and foremost. Several aspects of amplifier design come into play when looking at separate amps. First and perhaps most visible is the additional power, which can equate to a greater ability to reproduce dynamic music and movie soundtrack sequences (where the speakers' output is changing significantly and rapidly; this sort of ability is sometimes called "headroom"). The extra power can be a benefit to some speakers, but the extra headroom will pretty much always help. Also, a power amp like the 770 is typically much better designed than the amp stuck in a mass-market receiver, and as a result it can operate with much more difficult speaker loads (4 ohm speakers give many receivers fits, but good amps can operate with speakers that operate consistently at 4 ohms and dip as low as 2 ohms at times). Even an amp like Outlaw's 7100 (which may not offer any more rated power than a receiver) can improve the sound because the amp is better designed, more realistically rated than some mass-market receivers, and capable of handling more difficult speaker loads. And of course there's one reason unrelated to sound or power: a good power amp can last you for many years, even after the processing modes and input options of a receiver have become obsolete. By putting the amps in a separate box, you can upgrade the receiver to a newer pre/pro without having to buy amplification again. Others around here can probably offer more reasons for moving to separate amps, including some more technical details, but that will hopefully be a good start.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#29246 - 01/20/04 12:08 PM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
What is the quality level of your speakers? If they are very low end, the better amplfier will be wasted. If they are of good quallity, what kind of receiver or amplifer do you have now? There's no reason to put high end race tires on a Volkswagen.

#29247 - 01/20/04 12:24 PM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
JOELTJAMES Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
What is the quality level of your speakers? If they are very low end, the better amplfier will be wasted. If they are of good quallity, what kind of receiver or amplifer do you have now? There's no reason to put high end race tires on a Volkswagen.

#29248 - 01/20/04 12:47 PM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
JOELTJAMES Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

soundhound
Thanks for your response. Over the last 2 years I have spent close to $2,000 on speakers. My mains are full range with 12" woofers rated at 250 watts. My center is Polk's top of the line rated at 250 watts. My side surrounds are Polk bipole/dipole rated at 150 watts. My back surrounds which I'am currently using on the B side of my receiver are full range with 12" woofers rated at 200 watts. My room size is 16'W x 29'L x 8'T. I am also running two 15" HT Titantic subwoofers with 250 watt amps. The Subs are not included in the $2000.00 figure above. My current 5.1 receiver is a $499.00 Kenwood - rated at 100 watts. This receiver does not have a high current amp.

#29249 - 01/20/04 12:50 PM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
In that case, I would jump on the Outlaw amp in a heartbeat.

#29250 - 01/20/04 04:16 PM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would agree with soundhound on that. Before you place the order, though, I'll ask a potentially silly question... does the Kenwood include pre-amp outputs?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#29251 - 01/20/04 08:18 PM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
If you have the Kenwood 6070 or 7070 or higher models, then preamps are there. I have the 6070 and use the 7070, the difference was not that the kenwood did not play my setup loud, just that the 770 played them loud with much much more clarity and extension, especially in the lower end range of my speakers capabilities. The benefit of the 200W per channel is knowing that you are getting full current extension driving a full range flat response to your speakers and the only variance being the music itself, not the limits of your electronics or speakers. That is how I would describe my ideal set up.

#29252 - 01/20/04 08:20 PM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
ah, I meant to say 6070 into the 770, typo, sorry

#29253 - 01/21/04 10:26 AM Re: High End Amp Technology over low budget recievers.
JOELTJAMES Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by alphanstein:
ah, I meant to say 6070 into the 770, typo, sorry

Thanks for the response I am getting from everyone.

I need to back up a little bit. I posted a question earlier on 1/14/04 about my unexpected Christmas present which was a HK AVR630 receiver. I have not installed this let because I was not sure if it would work OK as a preamp/processor. Gonk responsed to my question when I posted it. My current Kenwood does not have pre-outs so it will not work. I have a couple of options. I know the AVR630 receiver carries about a $900 price tag which is about the same as the Outlaw 950 processor.

The options would be return the HK AVR630 and get the money back or purchase the 950 process along with the 770 amp.

The AVR630 is up to date with most of the current processing plus it has Logic 7 processing, 6 adjustable crossover points for each speaker section and re-assignable back channel for mult-room applications. Not sure if I could put to use the 7 x 75 watts of high current amplification that will go to waste.

Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts