Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#29134 - 07/29/03 08:30 PM Speakers that can handle the 770?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Hi All:
I'm planiing on buying the Outlaw 950/770 combo and plan to upgrade my speaker system also. I currently use Professional Studio monitors(2-15's per speaker) as my Left/Right Fronts in my 5.1 home theater system. The reason for this is i love the Bass responce these things have. My question is where can i find a set of 7 speakers(one for each channel) that can handle the Bass that the 770 can give? I just don't belive you should have to pay a fortune for little satalites that need a subwoofer to make up for small drivers. I know small speakers make the wife happy(mine doesen't care) but are big powerful speakers(at reasonable prices) gone for good? Any advice would be of great help to me.

#29135 - 07/30/03 11:56 AM Re: Speakers that can handle the 770?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Unfortunately, if you don't want to spend a fortune (as you put it), you aren't going to be able to find a truly full-range speaker. Full-range speakers are very uncommon, and usually quite expensive. Heck, my Aerial 10Ts go down to 28 hz or so, and I still use a subwoofer with them.

These days, there is a lot more bass content available in movies because of Dolby Digital and DTS. Inexpensive speakers of yesteryear simply will not be able to cut it without a subwoofer.

So you have a few options, really: You can get speakers that go as deep as you can get with your budget and then set the crossover so that they don't get bass below their capability; you can get those speakers, run them full-range, and then rush to turn the volume knob down if they start to distort; or you can get decent speakers and a decent subwoofer and go full-range.

Let me know which option is the most appealing to you, and I can make further suggestions from there.

Jeff

#29136 - 07/30/03 10:26 PM Re: Speakers that can handle the 770?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Well If i have to I'll keep the studio monitors. There hard to beat from a performance standpoint. Just gonna be tuff to get one of these suckers on top of my big screen...lol. I'll Let you know what i decide. I really hate to give up the front monitors anyway. Not only do they sound great but the visual impact of these in my living room gets alot of WOW's from my friends Oh by the way I don't want you to misunderstand me I already have a subwoofer and i love it. I just don't see the point in 200 watts per channel if its going to waste. If you come across anything better let me know. Thanks Again Lasher

[This message has been edited by Lasher (edited July 30, 2003).]

#29137 - 07/31/03 12:01 AM Re: Speakers that can handle the 770?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Ah, I think I understand now.

In most cases, you will never, ever use 200 watts of amplification, no matter where you cross over the speakers, and no matter how loud you play your music/film.

That extra power is there not for extra loudness or extra bass, but basically for extra protection of your speakers. As I said, in most cases, you will never never need the extra power: however, occasionally (like in a cymbal crash or movie explosion) you need a lot of power in a hurry. Without the extra power, your amp clips and sends a square wave to your speakers, which will probably damage them.

So having the extra power means that your speakers are much less likely to get that square wave.

Jeff

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts