Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#29122 - 07/06/03 06:35 PM Five 770 Questions
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
I'm planning a 950/770 purchase and I have some questions.
Can I install the 770 on it's front panel so that the rear is sticking up in the air?
What is the center to center spacing of the five-way binding posts?
Can I plug all my components including the 770 into a Panamax M4310?
Can I bi-amp by splitting the RCA-out on the 950?

#29123 - 07/06/03 08:51 PM Re: Five 770 Questions
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by worldwide:
I'm planning a 950/770 purchase and I have some questions.
Can I install the 770 on it's front panel so that the rear is sticking up in the air?

Yes, but the power button in the front panel. Unless you're planning to use the 12 VDC trigger, you may have trouble turning it off and on.

Quote:

Can I plug all my components including the 770 into a Panamax M4310?

Yes, but for best results, you may want to put the amp on its own circuit. It draws a lot of power. It may be too much for your existing circuit.

Quote:

Can I bi-amp by splitting the RCA-out on the 950?

Yes, assuming, of course, that your speakers are bi-ampable, and have built-in crossovers. However, if the crossovers are passive, it's of dubious benefit to do so.

Jeff

#29124 - 07/06/03 09:08 PM Re: Five 770 Questions
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do plan to use the 12 VDC trigger. This way I'll be able to "hide" the amp behind my tv stand, which holds my satellite receiver and soon the 950. I was concerned about the fact that heat rises and...well...technically the venting on the amp would not be directly above the heatsinks, if you see what I mean? I talked to some electricians at my work regarding a seperate curcuit and they asked me how many amps the 770 draws. I didn't know and they suggested that it probably only draws several (3 or 4) amps and not to worry about it. They said that as long as I'm not on the same curcuit as an electric motor, eg. refridgerator, I'll be fine. Do you know how many amps the 770 draws? My speakers are bi-wireable but I probably won't bi-amp them. I won't need to. It's just the idea of having those extra two channels as I don't have a 7.1 setup yet. Anyway, thanks for the help, Steve

[This message has been edited by worldwide (edited July 06, 2003).]

#29125 - 07/06/03 10:33 PM Re: Five 770 Questions
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by worldwide:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do plan to use the 12 VDC trigger. This way I'll be able to "hide" the amp behind my tv stand, which holds my satellite receiver and soon the 950. I was concerned about the fact that heat rises and...well...technically the venting on the amp would not be directly above the heatsinks, if you see what I mean? I talked to some electricians at my work regarding a seperate curcuit and they asked me how many amps the 770 draws. I didn't know and they suggested that it probably only draws several (3 or 4) amps and not to worry about it. They said that as long as I'm not on the same curcuit as an electric motor, eg. refridgerator, I'll be fine. Do you know how many amps the 770 draws? My speakers are bi-wireable but I probably won't bi-amp them. I won't need to. It's just the idea of having those extra two channels as I don't have a 7.1 setup yet. Anyway, thanks for the help, Steve

[This message has been edited by worldwide (edited July 06, 2003).]

Well, I think the 770 is capable of drawing up to 20 amps, though I seriously doubts it needs this often. I do notice all the lights in my apartment dimming when I turn it on, though.

As for heat sinks, you've got a very good point. Yes, it does generate a fair amount of heat, and no, I don't believe there is venting on the back panel. That being the case, I'll retract my first opinion and say that it's probably not a good idea to stand it on its faceplate. Sorry.

By the way, there's a big difference between bi-wiring (running two cable runs between a single amp channel and a single speaker) and bi-amping (using two amplifier channels to amplify two different parts of a speaker). The benefit for bi-amping can be substantial, depending on the speakers, amplifiers, and crossovers involved. The benefit for bi-wiring is doubtful at best. Some people swear by it, but then they also swear they can hear the difference between a $1,000 cable and a $30 cable...

Jeff

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts