Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2900 - 09/30/02 12:15 AM SVS 20-39PC+ and Outlaw crossover setting
Xen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Carlsbad, CA, USA
Well I've had the SVS 20-39PC+ up and running for 2 days now and WOW (a co-worker commented on how you could wear it as a barrel

I'm having some calibration issues though.

I'm running Klipsch RF-3s, RS-3s, RC-3II with an Outlaw 1050. I've set all speakers to small, LFE 'on', -15db sub trim on the Outlaw, Outlaw crossover set to 60Mhz, SVS 20-39PC+ corner loaded, SVS crossover disabled (set at 120Mhz), SVS phase at 180 (though I did not hear much of a difference with any setting), Gain is a tad more than half, calibrated via VE/Avia (back and forth) and a RatShack SPL. There is still BIG bass to be had, I'm just not finding the happy 'blend'.

Would setting the outlaw crossover to 80 yield much difference? (I'm not sure that my RF-3s would be better off passing that off to the SVS or not).

It feels like I have the Outlaw Sub trim really low, the lowest it can go, this a good thing or a bad thing? Better to have the Sub do it all or turn the sub down and boost the Amp feed a bit?

I also noted a good amount of grounding hum (maybe?) with the SVS crossover disabled (goes away when set to enabled). Not hum from across the room, just when it's quiet, you can hear it when you are a few feet from it.

------------------
--
Xen

Outlaw 1050
Klipsch RF-3s, RC-3, RS-3, KSW-12

#2901 - 09/30/02 01:32 AM Re: SVS 20-39PC+ and Outlaw crossover setting
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I will admit up front that I haven't done a lot of investigating in the subwoofer dept. as I simply cannot afford to find something I want right now. Although, I do like the things I've heard and the limited looking that I have done in regards to the SVS line.

That being said, can the SVS be hooked up with both the LFE out and the speaker level outs from the 1050? That's how I've got my BA's connected (for the mains) and I've got the sub ON and the mains set to LARGE. Granted, I'm using BA's System 9000, but the principle should be the same. Boston's guide actually says to hook it up one way or the other, but somebody else (forgot who now and I'm too lazy to look it up) with the same speaker set played with it and found this configuration. When I tried it, I had to agree that this provided the best results. Fuller sound from the mains and a much more even blending of the bottom.

Might be worth a shot if it'll work with your sub.

Also, I adjusted the gain on my sub so the Outlaw trim was fairly close to middle. This means I can readily adjust the LFE up or down as needed via the 1050 for any given scenario.

#2902 - 10/01/02 09:46 AM Re: SVS 20-39PC+ and Outlaw crossover setting
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
Xen,
We have nearly identical set ups. I have the 950/770 combo. I just got my 20-39 PC+ yesterday.
I started with the RF3's crossed over at 40hz. I tried it and bumped it up to 60hz.
I'm still playing with it.
SV recommends setting the gain to 1/2 - 3/4 and adjusting from there.
-15db does sound a little low.
If the sub is near the fronts, I believe the phase should be at zero. Without trying to integrate 2 subs, the phase is negligible.
I'm still trying to get it dialed in, but I'll let you know what works for me.
I have the hum, too. Contact SVS...others have said they have a hum, and SV will troubleshoot the problem and help you fix it.

#2903 - 10/01/02 12:39 PM Re: SVS 20-39PC+ and Outlaw crossover setting
Xen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Carlsbad, CA, USA
After a little more tuning I ended up with setting the Outlaw subtrim to -5, crossover at 80Hz and the SVS 2 notches down from halfway to one notch down from halfway. Phase set between 0 and 180.

This gets rid of the BOOMY sound of my old Klipsch KSW-12 SUB and replaces it with clean but very low bass (that's the point right?

Girlfriend who couldn't care less about the set-up said "Where did the rumble go?" then some deeeep base came out of nowhere and she said "Ahhh, that's how it's supposed to sound then?" Funny stuff.

This setting lacks that punch I'm used to with my old sub, so it will take some time to adjust. Still more tweaking to do!

#2904 - 10/02/02 06:16 PM Re: SVS 20-39PC+ and Outlaw crossover setting
Elrond Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX USA
A couple of things...
Regarding phase setting, it has the possibility of making a big difference due to the way your room reflections work out.

Regarding sub level setting: I tend to have the receiver set to the midway point, rather than have it very low and having the sub cranked, even though that's what SVS tends to recommend. If I do crank the amp on the sub, I end up with a bit of hum. Personally, to me it makes more sense to raise the level of the receiver, since it then outputs a stronger signal compared to any noise you would get.

I would say the best way to calibrate the subwoofer is to get a computer program like, NCHTone (do a google search) and use it to generate frequencies from your computer to your receiver. This will let you plot a frequency response of the subwoofer+speakers in your room. By doing this in my friend's apartment, we found changing phase setting had a drastic effect on his overall freq response. Part of the problem with the test tone is that I believe it only outputs at one frequency. Also make sure to compensate for the ratshack meter at lower frequencies. Hopefully by plotting a chart like this, it will tell you whether there is a hole in your freq response or not.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM