Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#290 - 10/29/01 02:28 PM 1050 Clips Out
abmcnair Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, VA USA
I've had the 1050 for a couple of months and I am highly pleased with it aside from the fact that it is clipping out on me at "semi-high" volumes. It auto-powers off at a setting of 40 with any type of sudden noise from the source material such as the horns in the Phanton Menace opening.

I'm using DCM KX-212 for the left and right, DCM surrounds for the left and right rear, and the center channel I'm running from the preamp output to the input of my Pioneer Pro 610 TV. I'm using a Klipsch 12" powered sub.

The speakers are listed at 6 ohm. I've tryed 4 ohm and 8 ohm to no avail. I've played with the trim settings and cross over to no avail.

My DCM are efficient to a rate of something like 98Db/W. So they shouldn't require a great amount of wattage to produce an acceptable volume level.

Any thoughts as to what my problem might be?

Short of any insights, I'm assuming that the thing just doesn't have the power to drive my speakers and I'll need to add the dedicated amp to my component collection.

#291 - 10/29/01 09:48 PM Re: 1050 Clips Out
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Well, I haven't checked out the specs for your speakers, but I can tell you that I'm using Boston Acoustics System 9000 Home Theater system. You can check out the specs on their website if you want, but their sensitivity is listed at 89dB for the front satellites and center rear (added on my own after getting my 1050!), 86dB for the rears, and 90dB for the front center. I just remembered, they upgraded the System 9000 to the System 9000 MKII. The change was to up the size of the sub from 8" to 10", and replace the rear surrounds with speakers identical to the fronts. Here's the link to the new system if you want it (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ProductsPage.asp?ProductID=29&SpecID=1&SeriesID=15). Amazing amount of sound from such a compact system. For the money, I don't think you'll beat it.

I routinely listen to the Pod Race sequence in Episode I with my 1050 at 60 or better with no issues. Well, other than shaking the house! But that's why I reserve the REALLY fun viewing for when the wife is away...

Anyway, these speakers are probably smaller than what you're using, but I haven't heard anybody else having the problem your experiencing. Hopefully someone else will have an idea. If not, you can always call the Outlaws tech support. I've not had the need to get in touch with them, but I understand they're quite helpful.

#292 - 10/30/01 01:30 PM Re: 1050 Clips Out
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
A complete guess (and that's all it is) would be that the center might be your problem. I'm not claiming that what you've mentioned (connecting pre-amp outs to the line level inputs on your TV) would be wrong, but I'm just wondering if the impedances would correctly match. You might have a superior TV than I do, so I'm just thinking out-loud referencing my own system. I think this is how it works, again, don't quote me on it.

You pre-amp out on the 1050 vary output voltage, whereas a VCR or something like that wouldn't. My TV has its own amplifier inside, so I'm assuming you are setting the TV volume level to some constant and letting the volume control on the 1050 change the volume of the entire system. There could be a difference in impedances, which would then send the power from the pre-amp outs out of their range, causing a shut-down to prevent destroying a circuit. Power= Current^2 * Impedance, so if there was some sort of difference between an amplifier's input and a typical line input, that could be the issue. But I could be 100% off base and/or your components might be designed correctly to perform that way.

I would suggest, as a quick check, unplug the center channel pre-amp out and turn off the center channel in the 1050. Crank it up and if it does the same thing, you've eliminated the possibility of that being the problem.

For what its worth. . .

S.

#293 - 10/30/01 02:01 PM Re: 1050 Clips Out
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
MrSandman's got a good point there -- the TV may be your problem. Have you played any two-channel material to know if the clipping occurs under those circumstances? If the clipping doesn't occur during two-channel only playback, the TV-as-center is probably it (and it's certainly an easy thing to test). If that is the problem, you might try disabling the center and using "phantom" center for a while.

#294 - 11/07/01 11:45 AM Re: 1050 Clips Out
abmcnair Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I actually hadn't considered that the TV could be the problem... but what you are saying does make sense. I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens.

Thanks Guys...

Adam

#295 - 11/12/01 09:52 AM Re: 1050 Clips Out
Soundog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Delmar, NY, USA
I had the same problem with one of my Outlaw 1050s after having no problems for a long time. Then I found the problem: one of the speakers had one tiny strand of wire that was touching the opposite terminal. This did not "short" and cause the Outlaw to shit off except at a high level peak! I removed the strand and once again everything worked great

#296 - 12/11/01 10:08 AM Re: 1050 Clips Out
abmcnair Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just wanted to let you guys know the story on the fix.... it was actually what the last post said. I decided to disconnect the center speaker after simply turning it off didn't work. When I got behind the tv, I saw that on the connections was touching another wire behind the tv. Problem solved.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts