Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28989 - 12/23/02 10:06 PM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
I would NEVER connect any super power amps into any device other than a dedicated circuit. Most of these amps(the ATI's esp. have surge protection built in). The engineers i have spoke to always tell me to plug directly into the wall outlet. I upgraded to a 20amp/hospital grade and made a better improvement than running into a panamax I was using.Theres an interesting thread on AVS Forem about this very topic!

#28990 - 12/23/02 11:20 PM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
A surge filter is OK to have between a power amp and the wall outlet. A power line FILTER, such as the TrippLite "Isobar" that has inductors, capacitors etc in-line with the AC is not a good idea because these components have a finite amount of current they can handle. By contrast, a surge protector is nothing more than a MOV across the power line which consumes no power, and is not in series with the AC current. It's only function is to protect from over-voltages which can be very costly for equipment. These two devices are quite different and get confused by people all the time. Of course, the best way to protect against lightning etc. is simply to unplug your components, but you can't always be there to do this

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 23, 2002).]

#28991 - 12/23/02 11:28 PM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

A surge filter is OK to have between a power amp and the wall outlet. A power line FILTER, such as the TrippLite "Isobar" that has inductors, capacitors etc in-line with the AC is not a good idea because these components have a finite amount of current they can handle. By contrast, a surge protector is nothing more than a MOV across the power line which consumes no power, and is not in series with the AC current. It's only function is to protect from over-voltages which can be very costly for equipment. Of course, the best way to protect against lightning etc. is simply to unplug your components

#28992 - 12/24/02 12:42 AM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I was considering getting the "Ultimate Outlet" to put between the outlet and the amplifier. They come highly recommended...anyone have any opinions on them?? Or is this overkill? Id rather not spend $400.00 on it if it doesnt really improve anything.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/ultimate_outlet.asp

Theres info on it

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#28993 - 12/24/02 01:00 AM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I would save my money and buy a bunch of DVDs. If you must get something, get a good surge protector if you are at all fearful of lightning strikes, otherwise it's not worth the money for a power amp. When a company starts saying that _their_ AC will improve things like imaging, pace, soundstaging, run like hell. As long as the wall power is at all within normal parameters, that's all an amp needs. Remember, the amp runs on _DC_ that's produced inside the amp, and there's a transformer to isolate the wall power from the rectifiers and filters. These do all that is needed unless your power is really crappy.

For low level equipment like preamps, it's a good idea to get something like the TrippLite "Isobar" filters which offer protection from surges and filter out any RF interferrence that might creep into your AC.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 24, 2002).]

#28994 - 12/24/02 01:44 AM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Sounds good soundhound. Ill try the panamax 5300, but will look into this Isobar you so fondly speak of

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#28995 - 12/24/02 02:38 AM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I don't own stock in TrippLite or anything They make stuff that's as good as anyting out there, and costs what it should. Keep in mind that if your AC has a high level of harmonic distortion (the average is about 3% THD) _nothing_ short of local re-generation is going to clean it up. No filter will do it...nada. RF can be filtered out, and to some degree EMI can be also filtered, but it's gets harder as the frequency of the pollution goes down into the audio band. It is _extremely_ rare for EMI to get this bad unless you share a power transformer with a foundry or something like that. Truthfully, pedestrian things like the acoustics of your listening room have a much greater impact on what you hear than anything in the 'tweak' realm. Anyway, I see I am ranting, and should go to bed

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 24, 2002).]

#28996 - 12/26/02 11:32 AM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
Bill in Texas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cherokee, Texas
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, but playing our system at 00dB got me a broom, then a mop and finally the vacuum cleaner and dust rag Monday night. Tuesday was spent with the inlaws and Wednesday with my family. By the way, Merry Christmas all.

Half way through my test I started to realize that what I was doing would be only be conclusive to my particular system, but then again may be of some help to others anyway. I saw that there would be a lot of contributing factors that would change everyone's individual data. Things such as source line input voltage (mine 124 volts), source material, processing, and above all speakers (size, number of drivers, rated watts handling and efficiency).

So, I guess I'll start with telling you what is in my system that is pertinent to the test. I'm runnning a 7.1 Reference Paradigm setup consisting of 2-40s for mains, a CC center, 4-20s surrounds and a PW 2200 sub. The TV is a 36" Sony XBR.

With the TV, 950 and Panamax all at standby mode I had a reading of .2 amps. Turning on the 950 triggers the panamax to energize and also brings on the 770. With the audio at idle it draws 2.5 amps. Turning on the TV and we jump to 4.2 amps. Ok, time for a little source material.

My normal listening volume range for DVD source material is usually between -15dB and -05dB depending on the recording and my mood. I decide to use -10dB (average) and ear piercing 00dB (way too loud!) as my reference marks to use for this test.

Something to note here. This system is set up in what is normally considered a formal living room and was supplied with only one circuit. So, the sub has had to go on that circuit too, but as you will see, it's not too much of a concern for this interim setup.

Ok, at -10dB with evreything running the load was only 6.5 amps. At freaking the cats and wife 00dB my system only musters a 10.2 amp draw. Of which .7 amps is the sub that isn't going through the panamax.

So, in conclusion SpOoNmAn. I guess we can say I'm safe. On the other hand, if your driving bigger and/or less efficient speakers, the resulting amp draws will increase proportionally.

This was fun! Oh, and my wife would like your address. I think she wants to tell you something.

Good day and Happy New Year.

------------------
Bill

#28997 - 12/26/02 02:41 PM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

LOL Bill..I like the address comment

With all that, only 10.2 amps being drawn? That sound odd, but numbers dont lie. My sub alone supposedly draws 8.

That was a good read, and I appreciate the effort. I would love to do that sometime, just because I'm curious in nature.

Tell your wife I live in a cave with no address, just an outlet for electricity

Happy Holidays Bill!

*Note* My speakers (DefTechs all around) are all rated at 91dB for efficiency. That shouldnt stray to far from your Paradigm setup.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#28998 - 12/26/02 03:45 PM Re: 20 amp circuit for 770...
Bill in Texas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cherokee, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by SpOoNmAn:
LOL Bill..I like the address comment

With all that, only 10.2 amps being drawn? That sound odd, but numbers dont lie. My sub alone supposedly draws 8.

That was a good read, and I appreciate the effort. I would love to do that sometime, just because I'm curious in nature.

Tell your wife I live in a cave with no address, just an outlet for electricity

Happy Holidays Bill!

*Note* My speakers (DefTechs all around) are all rated at 91dB for efficiency. That shouldnt stray to far from your Paradigm setup.

8 amps on your sub?! At 120 volts that would be 960 watts. Wow! Drawing .7 amps at 124 volts mine is using about 87 of it's 250 rated watts with the volume knob at about 12:30.

I think you're fine too with the DefTech. My Paradigms run from 89dB to 91dB as well. Size and number of drivers will be the determining factor here. The 20s are rated for 100 watt max., the CC at 130 watt max and the 40s at 150 watt max. input. So you see the 770 is just loafing along in my system and I have enough headroom I can see stars.

Best of luck with your upgrades. The 770 is one fine amp and it sure brought out the best in my Paradigms. I'm sure it will your DTs as well.

------------------
Bill

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts