Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28973 - 12/17/02 02:56 AM Running Hot
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

My 770 runs pretty hot. If I have it cranked pretty good with dynamic music, it gets too hot to touch after about 20 minutes. Has anyone else noticed this?
Thanks,

#28974 - 12/17/02 10:32 AM Re: Running Hot
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
How much air circulation do have available to it? How much spread between other components . My 770 was in a temporary open rack, (AV but looks like a bakers rack) for months. Most air possible to give an amp. Runs warm, - yet not hot. Moved recently to a wood cabinet with open back and a side metal mesh vent near it. You can feel the ‘chimney’ convective effect through this vent. Need to double check but have not noticed it running too hot in this new installation.

#28975 - 12/17/02 04:41 PM Re: Running Hot
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

Mine is in a wooden rack, open front and back with 4 inches clearance on top and 2 on each side. The amp I previously had in that space did not run nearly as hot. I also have the ability to use dual 6" external fan from the rear to cool it, but have not used it as I don't like the noise.

#28976 - 12/18/02 03:18 PM Re: Running Hot
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I don't have the 770 yet (getting it after Christmas!) but doesn't the manual ask that atleast 8" of free space be above the amp?
I have read reviews of users that have only 1" above theirs and it doesnt get hot at all.

Makes me wonder what the real deal is

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#28977 - 12/18/02 04:16 PM Re: Running Hot
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My 750 only has about an inch and a quarter above it, with front and back of cabinet wide open, and it never got over 100F or 105F when I had a thermometer in the air space above it. It has never been more than "warm" while in use. The 770, however, is heavier and will need to dump more heat out the heat sinks, so there will be differences.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#28978 - 01/27/03 07:41 PM Re: Running Hot
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
I just got a 770 via B-stock, ordered on Wed last week and received the next day via DHL. Good job outlaw.

As for the heat, I have 5 speakers running at 8 ohms and then my back pair running in parallel at 4 ohm and only that channel gets hot, but not too hot that I cannot hold my hand on it. So, if you were running mostly 4 ohm speakers, then I figure that all channels heating up to this level would be likely. With the heat of all the channels, then the relative temp of the entire unit will raise to a point were it probably would be too hot to touch.

This doesn't mean it is not working right, power transistors are usually designed to work at high temps before the protection circuit kicks in. In semiconductors, they can run up to 100 celcius with no performance problems.

However, if you want some security, you could also purchase some low speed fans to modify your set up, even a little airflow could make a big difference.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts