Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28944 - 07/18/09 03:10 PM Connections
JFro Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Carson City, NV U.S.A.
Is there a site I can go to where I can get specific help on how to make my connections for the equipment listed below? I would like someone to help tell me which type of connections are best for me to optimize my home theater experience. Clearly, most people here are way moreexperienced than I and get lost trying to follow you. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sharp Aquos - LC46E77UN
DirecTV - HD DVR
Mains - Paradigm Studio 80's
Surround - Paradigm ADP-470v-3's
Sub - Paradigm Seismic 12
Center - Paradigm CC-470
Outdoor - Paradigm Style 470's

#28945 - 07/19/09 01:26 AM Re: Connections
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There's not really a single good site for it, as there is no single correct answer. I've got some notes in my HT Basics page , but it's not going to be a perfect fit. It can help with the names of the different types of cables, though.

For video into your Sharp HDTV, HDMI is going to be your best bet. You should have at least two rear HDMI inputs, and those would want to be used by the PS3 and 971H (you'll need a DVI-to-HDMI cable for the 971H). The HD DVR can go via HDMI (if it has an HDMI output and the TV has a third input) or component, and the differences between the two will be negligible. The 950 cab be configured via the front panel, so unless you want to use the on-screen setup menu you can leave its video outputs alone completely. If you would prefer to have on-screen access to the 950's setup menu, I'd go cheap and run a composite video cable to the TV.

For audio, the simple solution is to use optical or coaxial digital for all three. The PS3 will need to use optical because it hasn't got a coaxial. The 971H has both, and I don't know what your HD DVR has. Outlaw's PDO is a very well made optical cable for a good price, if you need some.

The rest you probably already have under control. You'll need analog audio cables from the 950 to the 770, of course, and speaker cables from there to the speakers. The sub will connect to the 950's subwoofer output (right alongside the other pre-amp outputs that go to the amp).

#28946 - 07/19/09 10:43 PM Re: Connections
JFro Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk - I was close to this but I'll change a couple of thibgs and get it set up as you suggest.

One more question. Do I need to get a separate, 2 channel amp too hook-up to my outdoor speakers if I want to listen to them without having to disconnect my indoor speakers, and vice-versa?

Outlaw's Mono amps are too pricey so I'll be looking for a single box for the 2 channels. Also, if that is what I need how do I connect it to the 950.
Sharp Aquos - LC46E77UN
DirecTV - HD DVR
Center - Paradigm CC-470

#28947 - 07/19/09 11:10 PM Re: Connections
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 770 has seven channels of amplification, and I don't see any mention of back surround speakers (unless you have a quartet of ADP-470's). If you only have a 5.1 setup in the theater, you could use the other two channels of the 770 to power the outdoor speakers. If you are using all seven channels, you can pick up a two-channel amp instead.

The 950 has a second zone that you can use for the outdoor speakers. It is basically an analog pre-amp built into the 950 and as a result it doesn't have access to the digital inputs. If you were to use it, you would need to connect stereo analog cables from each source that you want to hear outside to their inputs on the 950. Then you can connect the zone 2 outputs to the amp channels driving your outdoor speakers, and control both input source and volume for the outdoor speakers separately from the indoor speakers.

#28948 - 07/25/09 06:19 AM Re: Connections
JFro Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks again - your the best. You need to take your show on the road! smile
Sharp Aquos - LC46E77UN
DirecTV - HD DVR
Center - Paradigm CC-470

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts