Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28940 - 05/14/09 08:43 PM Leaking capacitors
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Hello all smile .... long time no post smile

Well, my 950 may have finally had it... last night I heard the amps shut off and the unit locked up... couldn't turn it off... so I unplugged it and the standby light turns on but I can't turn it on...

So, today I opened it up and found a blown fuse, but I also saw this....

So... is it toast?

#28941 - 05/14/09 09:28 PM Re: Leaking capacitors
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Kick the pictures over to Outlaw's customer service (they watch the forum, but they leave us to ourselves a great deal and may not see this thread). They can probably give you some good feedback with pics like this to refer to. I did something similar when UPS mangled an amp I sold, and Scott was able to give UPS an official report on the likely repair effort required to make the amp work again using a few pictures taken by the buyer.

#28942 - 05/14/09 09:37 PM Re: Leaking capacitors
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
just sent it over.. we'll see what they say.. So, now after not looking at this forum in years I'm in a hurry to find out when the 997 will be released smile

#28943 - 05/30/09 06:06 PM Re: Leaking capacitors
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Looks like several capacitors went bad. My bet would be that a rectifier shorted out letting raw ac (actually partially raw ac since probably one leg of a full wave went bad) which cooked the caps. Wonder if you heard a bad hum before it crapped out? Then the over current blew the fuse. Good thing too since otherwise the caps might have become rockets. (Were any missing or blew their tops?) If I'm right, the repair will involve replacing all the electrolytic caps in the receiver, along with the bad rectifier unit. Hopefully no electronics were fried.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 185 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts