Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28918 - 04/24/09 08:14 PM coaxial sound and bass management
ews Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: akron, ohio usa
Still a little confused so I thought I would just ask. I just hooked up my new Oppo 983H to my 950 with the coaxial connection. If I am hooked up this way, what I am understanding is that the bass management switch should be in down position since it only applies to analog out. Is this a correct assumption? When I had my Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai hooked up, I had my speakers set to small since the Outlaw manual said that was probably the safest bet if unsure about your speakers and bass. I'm asking because I am running my Sony BDP-550 through to 950's analog outs and my speakers are set to large with the bass management switch in the up position. Everything sounds fine except that sometimes, not very often, I will hear a subtle crackling sound in my center speaker and was worried about damage (which I did once when I played a DTS demo disc with the volume turned up too high) if my settings were wrong. I hear it usually when playing a dvd, like last night when watching Altered States, heard it a number of times mainly when there was some heavy bass being played. thanks for your infinite patience and wisdom.

#28919 - 04/24/09 08:24 PM Re: coaxial sound and bass management
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The bass management switch only matters when using the 5.1 analog input - it has no effect in the digital inputs or on the stereo analog inputs, so the position is irrelevant. The bass management settings in the 950's menu will determine how the digital audio and stereo analog signals get processed.

Since you have a Blu-ray player connected to the 5.1 analog input, I'd recommend setting the bass management switch up to the "On" position and setting the speakers to "large" in the player's setup menu.

#28920 - 04/25/09 02:12 AM Re: coaxial sound and bass management
ews Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: akron, ohio usa
I do have my Blu-ray player set up that way per your instructions and it sounds great. One thing I have never figured out is when setting the speaker crossovers for playing dvds on the 983 with coaxial connections and running my speakers on small, does setting it higher (i.e. from 80 to 100 etc.) send more information to the subwoofer or less? I assume that setting them depends on just how efficient you speakers are. I've been using an NHT-VT-1 speaker system that I really like for a long time. The crossover for all the front speakers is listed at 2.8Khz and 2.2 for the surrounds. The front speakers response is 65Hz to 21KHz and the center speaker is 90Hz to 21Khz. The surrounds are 85Hz to 25Khz. Based on what I've read over the years and those numbers I've always set ithe crossover on the 950 at 80 per the manual's suggestion but have never been quite clear if I have been doing what's right, though it's always sounded great to me. Bottom line, I guess, is that's probably all that matters. (I have set the proper distances and used an SPL meter to set levels for the 950 for my dvd watching). Sorry if this is overload but i am a slow learner and thanks again.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts