Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28810 - 08/21/08 02:58 AM Florescent display fading out
Teknofossil Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Western Massachusetts
Hello,
has anyone had a issue with their model 950 display gradually becoming so dim (with the outer areas of the display even darker) that the display almost appears to be off? My model 950 (that I thought was a good EBAY deal) turned out to have a dying display. Between purchasing a shipping carton (Outlaw insists on this if you don't have the original), paying freight and the Outlaw tech shop T/S-repair costs I am guessing I would have been better off buying a new model 970. (I didn't know it existed...heard good things about the 950 so I bought it) Given the display is continuing to slowly die from outer areas in I suspect that it is the florescent display, not the electronics that drive it is the problem. Anyone have any idea who manufactured the display and if they are available? I got the impression from one of the Outlaw techs they aren't in the repair parts business. Guess they like to eat smile Thanks... -T

if you feel the need to be institutionalized...

#28811 - 08/21/08 03:17 AM Re: Florescent display fading out
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You might ask where they do their service work - if it's in the Boston area (where their offices are) and you ever get over to that end of the state, it might be possible to simplify matters a bit...

#28812 - 08/21/08 09:41 AM Re: Florescent display fading out
Teknofossil Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Good suggestion. I did ask about that option since I live in MA and travel to eastern part of the periodically. The person I communicated with @ Outlaw said that it dropping off the unit in person was not possible since the unit repair authorization was handled through their main office and then the unit is service elsewhere (or something like that....seemed like a rather convoluted process). It would be easier for me to buy the parts and do the installation myself (I am a repair tech at a Connecticut aerospace firm so I have the skills).

If I was using this as strictly a A/V unit I'd use the on screen display options and forget it but I'm more likely to be listening to music and the TV is off. -T

#28813 - 08/25/08 02:23 AM Re: Florescent display fading out
Teknofossil Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just an update. I sent the Outlaw customer service group a request to either purchase a replacement display board or may I send my board in for repair. If the response is "no" then I guess I will pack it up and put it on Craigs list for whatever I can get for it and acquire something else. But I'm hopeful.

-T

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts