Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#28723 - 12/06/08 03:08 PM Re: Subs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you have a source without a .1 track and all of the speakers are set to large, you will not get a signal at the subwoofer output. The 950 is doing exactly what you ask of it. You have two options:

1) Play an x.1 source with the subwoofer on. This will give the bass shakers a signal. Drawback: until the sub arrives, you will feel but not hear LFE tracks.

2) Set some speakers to "small" so the bass shakers get a signal. The Polk and Velodyne subs we discussed earlier would actually be well served by a 40Hz crossover, although the surrounds wouldn't generate much below 40Hz for the bass shaker in most cases anyway. I assume you don't want to do that for your fronts. You still won't hear whatever gets steered to the bass shakers until the sub gets connected to the LFE.

#28724 - 12/06/08 04:12 PM Re: Subs
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Marty, what made Outlaw difficult to ship to the USVI? I have an LFM1-EX and although it has a pretty big footprint in my living room it has awesome response. I got it mostly for movies because my room is a little difficult for one sub to cover. It must be verrry difficult to get stuff shipped to the USVI if you are still waiting since the end of September. For $1500 you could get 2 LFM1-EX and really shake things up. I'll bet you could have them by the end of next week.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#28725 - 12/06/08 06:41 PM Re: Subs
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: US Virgin Islands
Doesn't the manual state that the "Sub Out" will handle all frequencies under the selected X-crossover point, but if the speakers ar set to "Large" they will still receive full bandwidth??

And the other sub-woofer purchase options want to ship via UPS or FedEx and both of those companies charge "International" rates to the United States Virgin Islands, while USPS charges "Domestic"..I mean, sheesh! We ARE the U.S.! But we get rooked again!

#28726 - 12/06/08 06:50 PM Re: Subs
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

Page 34, last paragraph: "If the switch (it's talking about the Bass Management toggle switch on the back panel)is set in the Down position, no crossover filtering occurs, providing full bandwidth signal, including all bass information, to the speakers. However, all information below 80Hz is still summed and sent to the subwoofer output."

#28727 - 12/06/08 07:35 PM Re: Subs
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk...are you saying that I can't listen to music with a sub if I don't have 'small' speakers? I mean, every channel I have has a powered sub connected to it...I don't have anything in my "Sub Out" yet...

#28728 - 12/06/08 08:48 PM Re: Subs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Doesn't the manual state that the "Sub Out" will handle all frequencies under the selected X-crossover point, but if the speakers ar set to "Large" they will still receive full bandwidth??
The sub out will handle all frequencies below the crossover point if a speaker is set to "small" - as we've talked about before, when the speaker is set to large, the 950 assumes you don't want a signal being steered to the sub because your large speaker is handling the full frequency range.

There is one very specific exception to this...
Quote:
Page 34, last paragraph: "If the switch (it's talking about the Bass Management toggle switch on the back panel)is set in the Down position, no crossover filtering occurs, providing full bandwidth signal, including all bass information, to the speakers. However, all information below 80Hz is still summed and sent to the subwoofer output."
And that is the exception. The bass management toggle only relates to the six-channel analog input. The Model 950 includes analog bass management for that input, since it does not get routed through the DSP. The high-pass crossover is user-selectable ("on" means nothing below 80Hz goes to the speakers and "off" means they get everything), but the accompanying low-pass crossover is always enabled (the sub always gets the sub signal plus a summed signal of <80Hz data from all full-range speakers). That only applies to the six-channel analog input.
Quote:
Gonk...are you saying that I can't listen to music with a sub if I don't have 'small' speakers? I mean, every channel I have has a powered sub connected to it...I don't have anything in my "Sub Out" yet...
I am saying that you can't listen to music and get a signal to a subwoofer that is connected to the 950's sub output unless you have speakers set to "small."

#28729 - 12/06/08 10:49 PM Re: Subs
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Marty, sorry
I looked up the FEDEX rates for an 90 pound item and I am shocked at the rate. Its almost as much as the sub itself costs. What does the USPS charge and is there someone you could have it shipped to here and then have them send it via USPS. Outlaw has free shipping right now for the subs to anyplace in the states.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#28730 - 12/07/08 11:07 AM Re: Subs
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

OK, Gonk, I guess that answers my question...I need to set some speakers to 'Small'...dammit.

Yeah, the shipping for both UPS and FedEx usually amount to what the item costs to buy...or more!! It' stupid, we ARE the United States, but we get charged outrageous 'International' rates...USPS is reasonable...but they limit the weight to 80lbs...there's definitely a price for paradise! I mean, sure, I could have it shipped to someone in the States, then have them USPS Priority to here...but then it's back to the amount that I would pay for the DefTech Reference...it's tuff to build a high-quality home theater here!!

#28731 - 12/14/08 03:02 PM Re: Subs
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

I set my side surrounds to 'small', and I sometimes get a signal thru the Sub Out...but not always. Is there ANY way to make the .1 channel active all the time?? I mean, the difference from listening to music and movies is freaking dramatic in the low end, due to no 'source' for the .1 on CD's...

#28732 - 12/14/08 08:33 PM Re: Subs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
I set my side surrounds to 'small', and I sometimes get a signal thru the Sub Out...but not always
That makes sense - the sub only gets a signal if there's a .1 track or bass in the surround channels low enough to drop below the crossover point.
Quote:
Is there ANY way to make the .1 channel active all the time?? I mean, the difference from listening to music and movies is freaking dramatic in the low end, due to no 'source' for the .1 on CD's...
The difference between movies and music is largely a matter of how they're mixed - movies have lots of bottom end for effect, whereas very few musical instruments and no human voices get that deep so you don't often get comparable bass from music. If you want comparable low end slam from music, you are going to have to find some music that specifically contains that sort of information (pipe organs are a classic example of this). Of course, now you are shaping your listening habits to a rather arbitrary goal of the inclusion of specific frequency bands.

Another way to look at it: if you want a signal of some sort going to every channel in your system (all five or seven speakers plus any subwoofer(s) or bass shaker(s) you might also have) all of the time, you are going to have a hard time achieving that. There is a lot of source material out there that is not going to cooperate. The electronics we use are (at least in most cases) designed to be as faithful to the source material as possible, even if that leaves some speakers idle at times. It's similar for video, where faithfulness to the sources sometimes mean pillarboxing, letterboxing, or even black and white on fancy HDTV's.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts