Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28654 - 03/03/08 10:41 AM HDMI
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: US Virgin Islands
I live in the Virgin Islands and I've been in the process of building an HT, one component at a time, by buying over the internet (eBay, Audiogon, Videogon, etc.). I decided on the 950 and, after a little searching, I got one for $300 and it arrived just fine. I haven't taken it out of the box yet, as I'm still waiting for my DefTech BP7002's (powered by an Acurus A250) to arrive (Deftech Promonitor 80's for the rear, DefTech CLR2500 for center, powered by an Acurus A100X3). I haven't had an HT for over ten years, so this is my first foray back into it. My questions are regarding hooking up the 950. I bought a Sony PS3 to use for DVD/BluRay/CD and it has an HDMI out...is this the 'high quality audio' out? Or is it just for video? Best to use it for video and stick with RCA's for audio? I also read something about a fiberoptic digital connection from PS3???

I would like your opinions on hooking up my system when the main speakers arrive. I bought some GloPower Zyxt RCA interconnects, Anti-Cables for main and center channels, 12 guage wire for the rears...any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks, guys!

#28655 - 03/03/08 12:42 PM Re: HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My HDMI FAQ will get into details, but basically HDMI handles both digital audio and digital video. In your case, you'll want to use the optical digital output of the PS3 to get audio into the 950. When you get your HDTV (didn't sound like you have one yet), it will probably include an HDMI input that can be used to deliver video from the PS3.

#28656 - 03/24/08 04:25 PM Re: HDMI
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

I didn't have the HDTV at the time, you were right...but since then, I picked up a 37" Sylvania LCD TV from K-mart (of all places!) that was listed at $1,299 and on sale for $799...couldn't pass that up! But it has two HDMI inputs, of which I guess I'll only be using one? And, if the HDMI carries both audio and video, why will I use the Optical Digital Out to the Outlaw and not the HDMI? Or is there just no HDMI input and output on the 950?

Thanks a bunch for all of your help!

#28657 - 03/24/08 05:29 PM Re: HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

You will want to continue to use the optical output from the PS3 to the Model 950, because the Model 950 lacks support for HDMI. I'd recommend leaving your PS3's audio setup as it is and simply enable HDMI video output rather than the analog video output you have been using.

#28658 - 06/07/08 12:57 PM Re: HDMI
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

OK, now here's another question....if I set my fronts to "Large", running just speaker cable to them (remember, these are DefTech BP7002's with a built in powered sub), I will get all the full range into and out of the speaker, but can I still use the LFE out to go to a separate sub? What I mean, is, will using the LFE out take any signal away from the speaker wire feeding the fronts? Ideally I'd like to use the crossover section inside the speakers by just feeding them with speaker cables, and the BP7002 has plenty of oomph this way, but if I use the LFE Out on the 950, will it cross the signal being fed via speaker wire?

Also, using the menu and getting to Speaker Configuration, I can select all fronts and surrounds to "Large", as my L/C/R front channels have built-in powered subs...my rears are fed thru speaker cable (12 gauge Monster) to a Polk PSW10 Powered sub. But, as I scroll thru the options, even though I have them set to "Large", I then have an option on crossover frequency...If they are set to "Large", shouldn't ALL frequencies go to the speakers set to "Large"? Why have a cossover point option? And since I want them to get ALL the frequencies they can, shouldn't I set the crossovers to 40Hz? But, what about frequencies below 40? I have an extra Polk PSW10, should I connect that to the LFE Out to get those? And what about the crossover frequencies on all of the other channels? Shouldn't I set them all to 40? Or are they receiving full bandwidth due to being set to "Large"? I'm a little confused....

#28659 - 06/07/08 03:00 PM Re: HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you set the fronts to "large" then the DefTech BP7002's will get a full-range signal. Likewise for any other channel set to "large." The subwoofer output will still get the LFE channel of 5.1 soundtracks as well as low frequency data from any small speakers (assuming you have any), which can then be fed to a separate subwoofer.

When speakers are set to large, the crossover adjustment is still available, but it is actually being ignored - even though the setup menu doesn't remove the control.

#28660 - 06/07/08 04:46 PM Re: HDMI
Marty Fredericks Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Gonk.

To re-state you, I can set all my speakers to "Large", as they all have built-in powered subs or are running thru a powered sub, meaning they will all get full range signal...I can then ignore the crossover settings on the 950, as they are null and void with the speakers set to "Large", right? And if I add another sub and use the LFE Out to get a signal to it, this will NOT affect the other speakers signal input, correct? I could even use a "Y" adapter and add two subs from the LFE Out, right?

#28661 - 06/07/08 07:43 PM Re: HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
To re-state you, I can set all my speakers to "Large", as they all have built-in powered subs or are running thru a powered sub, meaning they will all get full range signal...I can then ignore the crossover settings on the 950, as they are null and void with the speakers set to "Large", right?
Right.
Quote:
And if I add another sub and use the LFE Out to get a signal to it, this will NOT affect the other speakers signal input, correct? I could even use a "Y" adapter and add two subs from the LFE Out, right?
Right. In your scenario, that sub (or subs) will only receive the LFE channel of multichannel sources.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM