Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28606 - 09/21/07 07:12 PM 950 IR sensor
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenfield, WI
I think there is something wrong with my 950 IR sensor. It takes 1-6 pushes of the remote button to get it to respond the last few days. The only change I've made is using an APC power conditioner. I have a URC Home Theater Master universal remote that works fine with all the other equipment. I've tried closer/different angles, cleaning, etc. with no change. So technically it works, but not like it did. I am not using repeaters or anything fancy like that and my batteries are fine. Also, it use to respond with the remote pointed practically anywhere. Am I getting interference somewhere or am I going to have to send it in? Thanks in advance.

#28607 - 09/21/07 07:35 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You don't mention using an IR repeater of any sort, so I assume that you aren't confusing it with signals going to both the front IR sensor and the rear IR input jack. You mention that the batteries are fine - I assume that you have replaced them recently? Have you also tried the original remote to compare behavior with it? If all of that fails to resolve it, I'd say the logical next step is to contact Outlaw support and see what they can suggest.

#28608 - 09/21/07 08:22 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, how did I know you would be the first to reply? Probably because you're close to 10,000 posts! I haven't posted on here in a few years, but you are as always very helpful. Outlaw should be giving you free equipment for being an "unofficial" member of their team.
Yeah, only using the front sensor as always with an MX-500. I have rechargables in there and the light is still very bright when pressed. I know I need to change the batteries when this is too dim to read the LCD well. I was also thinking of digging out the OE remote to check, like you suggested. The only other change in equipment is a new TV, but that was a few weeks ago. One thing I did notice is that I have an X-10 pyramid transmitter in the basement and the receiver/repeater is in the living room. Both plug in to the wall. The only time this should be active is when I am in the basement sending commands upstairs, but I noticed when I put the old 32 inch TV downstairs, it had some weird interferance on the X-10 transmitter causing the red LED to light like it was receiving a signal from a remote. I had to move the X-10 quite a distance away from that TV to see the LED turn-off. I had it on top of an old 20 inch TV and it never did that. That's why I thought interference, but I would think this would affect all the other components as well, but only the 950 is not responding all the time.

#28609 - 09/21/07 08:27 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Oh yeah, forgot to put this in there. I am not talking about using the X-10 that I am having problems, it is when trying to use the 950 directly from the remote. Just thought it might be interferance from the X-10. I will probably unplug that and see if anything changes. If the IR sensor does need servicing, is that something I can do myself?

#28610 - 09/21/07 10:07 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've had problems with my MX-500 and MX-700 becoming less powerful even before the screen fades, so a battery test would be worthwhile. If the original remote behaves the same as the MX-500 with fresh batteries, I'd recommend passing the question to Outlaw's tech support.

#28611 - 05/13/08 01:33 AM Re: 950 IR sensor
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Thought I'd update this post. I got so tired of this problem that 1-2 months ago I sent in a ticket as I thought I may have to send the unit in for repair. I received a very detailed response with questions and suggestions. One question was if I had gotten a new flat-panel TV, which we had, around the time this problem started. We use to have a 32 inch CRT. I had also gotten a power conditioner, new AV/TV stand, and re-arranged some equipment, cables, etc. Apparently flat-panels (LCD and plama) have huge IR interference problems with some equipment. I was told to try the remote with the TV turned off, in which the 950 responded the way it use to. I did not mention the TV in my original response as I had never heard of this, and all my other equipment worked fine with my universal remote. I thought it was the power conditioner, new TV stand, or the new arrangement that was to blame, if it was not the 950, but shows you what I know. So thanks and kudos to Outlaw's troubleshooters! I am sure someone would have solved this though if I had mentioned the TV!

#28612 - 05/13/08 02:50 AM Re: 950 IR sensor
gonk Offline
Desperado

That was a good catch by the Outlaw support crew. I remember hearing about IR interference problems from plasmas, but it came up when I had no expectation of needing to worry about it (before I'd upgraded to HD at all, and when I was leaning toward doing CRT for my HD anyway) and I haven't heard as much about it lately. That one's worth keeping in mind.

#28613 - 08/23/09 06:41 AM Re: 950 IR sensor
Lone Shepherd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Northern VA
So you determined your plasma TV was the problem? So, what was the solution?

Seems weird -- plasmas use IR for their remotes too...

#28614 - 08/23/09 03:11 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
gonk Offline
Desperado

Plasma displays can do some nasty stuff to IR. It can be compensated for (as you note, they use IR sensors themselves), but especially in the early days of plasma a lot of other products didn't compensate for it.

#28615 - 08/31/09 02:35 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Lone Shepherd:
So you determined your plasma TV was the problem? So, what was the solution?

Seems weird -- plasmas use IR for their remotes too...
Yes.......but it is an LCD display. According to tech support, either can cause interference though. I recently upgraded to a different LCD display, moving the other one upstairs, and the interference is slightly less with the 950, but still there.

Edward (tech support) had a fix, but I will have to dig through my e-mail for it. I believe it was some sort of repeater at the unit, but I will dig up the response and post. I just lived with it. I found if I pointed the remote at the floor, it worked more consistent, than if pointed at the unit or in the air. Other components were never affected.

#28616 - 09/01/09 04:18 AM Re: 950 IR sensor
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Here are the two answers to my questions from Edward in tech support:

1. Response to original issue:

"I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a problem with your Model 950. By any chance,
did you program your HTM learning remote control with the Outlaw remote? Or did you use
predetermined downloadable codes? Are there any infared adapters connected to your
system such as IR flashers/repeaters, any equipment connected to any of your IR input
jacks, or any other remote control systems? Do you have a plasma, or any other type of
flat panel television? These can all introduce possible problems and IR interference.
To completely eliminate any possible interference, try turning off all of your other
equipment, the lighting in the room, and try to use the remote control again.

If the problem can't be narrowed down to just the remote control, we can certainly take a
look at the unit here while it is still under warranty."

2. Response to my further queries regarding flat panels.

"Interference caused by flat panel display devices are unfortunately just inherent to the
technology they employ. They are both very susceptible to interference, and notorious
for causing electrical and IR interference. Now that flat panel displays are VERY
rapidly replacing older tube and rear projection technology, the problems are becoming
more common knowledge. There are no incompatibility issues, or even any real
predictability, you'll just find that something may work intermittently. In this case,
your particular TV, setup where it is, positioned where it is, is interfering with the
narrow band of IR frequency that needs to make it to the Model 950.

Positioning the Model 950, or the display may make all the difference. Keep in mind
though, that it is not a line of sight issue, but one of general interference so
positioning the equipment will be somewhat of an amorphic process.

There is equipment you can use to filter this as well under the worst conditions. There
are a few different products offered by the following company. If you scroll down, you
will see Plasma, and LCD proof IR receivers:

http://www.xantech.com/products/ir_products.htm#

Thanks and Regards,

Edward"

#28617 - 09/01/09 04:37 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
gonk Offline
Desperado

I have used Xantech gear with the Model 950. It works well. This page has some good prices right now on these sensors, including a plasma-friendly version for $105 and a CFL-friendly version for $50. They also offer an LCD-friendly version , but it's not on sale at the moment. Any of these should plug right into the Model 950 if you didn't want to do a full IR distribution setup.

#28618 - 09/01/09 08:58 PM Re: 950 IR sensor
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
^^You will need to buy the power supply for those receivers if you want to plug straight into your 950, they don't come with one except in kits.

I've found that the interference from LCDs dies off after about 2-3 minutes (my son calls it the "christmas tree" when I turn on the TV and all of the emitter LEDs light up for a bit), but if not, an alternative is to move the receiver 2+ feet away (although it's awkward in practice). If you want to get the LCD proof item, you can get it here for $94 when you add the brick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts