Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28431 - 01/25/06 10:37 PM Question about Dolby PLII
macharya Offline
Gunslinger

Equipment: Orb Audio Mod2 powered with the Outlaw 950 and 7100 amplifier. Cable box analog L/R connected to the 950 (no digital output available).

I was watching TV in Dolby PLII-C mode and noticed that while I get clear sound from the center channel, I also get some kind of "bleed over" into the L/R speakers and this occurs when someone is speaking.

I hear the dialog clearly through the center channel and when I put my ear next to the L/R speakers, I hear a somewhat high pitched "warble" sound, almost like a "trilling" sound. Sorry, this is difficult to describe. This sounds coincides with the spoken sound from the center channel. Other sound effects, such as applause and surround sounds, come through with no problems. It is the dialog that seems to be the issue.

I don't hear this from my regular listening position, but only when I place my ear right up to the speakers. It is almost like part of the signal was "bleeding over" to the side speakers.

I rechecked all connections and everything has been set up correctly. My speakers are closer together than I would like (3' apart) and I am
7' from the screen. They are approximately 2' from the wall (and open from the sides).

The speaker wires are rolled up and held together with a velcro strap...is there some kind of cross-talk taking place? I don't think this is the issue but I am open to suggestions. It doesn't appear to be a speaker problem as this doesn't happen when I watch a DVD (which is connected by an optical connection). The wires are standard 16 gauge of good quality.

Any suggestions on what might be happening?

#28432 - 01/25/06 11:16 PM Re: Question about Dolby PLII
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The dialog all originated in the left and right channels - the cable box's analog connection doesn't include any center, so that is all being extracted from those channels. It could be the remnants of the original signal, although it's not something I have personally run into. How far away is this warble audible from?

#28433 - 01/25/06 11:37 PM Re: Question about Dolby PLII
macharya Offline
Gunslinger

Ah, of course...it "creates" a center from the L/R signal! The sound is audible only if I put my ear to the speaker...say 1" or less. So this is not really an "issue" - it just seemed a bit strange to me. Is this something the 950 is doing? Not sure, otherwise it would have been reported a while ago. Any thoughts?

Update - I had someone else try it with their receiver and they hear the same muffled echo/warble/etc. of portions of the dialog. It doesn't seem like a speaker problem as I would expect the receiver/pre-pro to do the appopriate processing and the speakers just play whatever signal they are given.

#28434 - 01/25/06 11:49 PM Re: Question about Dolby PLII
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't heard it discussed around here before, but it may be in the nature of the matrix decoder (at least that's where I'd tend to direct my suspicion).

#28435 - 01/25/06 11:54 PM Re: Question about Dolby PLII
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
The problem is with the cable box, you need to get a digital cable box if possible.I don't know who your provider is but it shouldn't be much if anything at all to upgrade to digital cable,you are short changing yourself by not having a digital connection. good luck

#28436 - 01/26/06 12:03 AM Re: Question about Dolby PLII
macharya Offline
Gunslinger

Dnicely1 - I plan on moving to digital soon...hopefully that will take care of it. Out of curiosity - have you seen this before?

#28437 - 01/26/06 12:31 AM Re: Question about Dolby PLII
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
Actually I do get this sometimes thru directv even with a digital connection, but it is always on abc's analog broadcasts so I think the problem lies with how the station transmits it's analog signal,That's my guess anyway.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts