Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28399 - 12/24/05 01:33 PM Unique Setup situation
Mike C Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Leeds Point, NJ USA
I have been searching around the forums and have not encountered this potential setup.
I have the 950 with a newly acquired Adcom GFA 7607. I will not always want to use the full 7.1 so I am wondering if there is a way that I could utilize 2 channels on the amp as BOTH a 2ch output for a second zone via the Multizone and, when desired, use the Back Surround outputs from the 950 for full 7 ch sound. My initial thoughts on this were to send the multizone signal to another preamp, then to the desired channels on the Adcom. But how can I also choose between 2 ch and/or full 7 ch in the main room. Any ideas. I am thinking of some type of switch but don't understand how to share those channels between the Outlaw Back surround outs and the Multizone or oter line level? output. Does the Tape Loop figure into this. Please advise, I have money to spend on additional quality equipment if necessary.

Mike

#28400 - 12/24/05 04:43 PM Re: Unique Setup situation
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If I understand correctly, you want to use two channels of the amp for either the second zone or the surround back. Assuming you wouldn't use both simultaneously (or at least wouldn't use any processing mode such as CES, Dolby EX, or DTS ES at the same time zone 2 is on), you could simply get a two input switchbox from Radio Shack - connect both the surround back pre-outs and the zone 2 pre-outs to the switch's inputs, connect the switch's outputs to the two channels of the amp that you will be using for both, and use the switch to determine which input you use. If you are driving different speakers (which is likely), you'll also need a speaker selector switch between the amp and both sets of speakers.

One thing to keep in mind - if you are using a surround processing mode that generates surround back material (Cirrus Extra Surround, DTS NEO:6, Dolby EX, or DTS ES) and you have the switches set to the second zone, you will essentially be losing some surround information in the main system. You can work around that by being careful with your surround mode choices, but some Dolby EX tracks are very aggressive about their flags and will force most processors and receivers to use EX processing whether you want to or not.

#28401 - 12/24/05 05:32 PM Re: Unique Setup situation
Mike C Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you Gonk. I have been reading alot of your replies and you have helped me enormously. Merry Christmas to you, Mrs Gonk and the Gonk family. I will get back to you after Christmas and let tou know where I am at. Your answer seems pretty obvious but I may have another question!

Thank you
Mike C

#28402 - 12/24/05 10:51 PM Re: Unique Setup situation
gonk Offline
Desperado

Glad I could help - and Merry Christmas!

Off to wrap a few gifts and finish getting the house in order for company tomorrow.....

#28403 - 12/30/05 04:23 PM Re: Unique Setup situation
Mike C Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Went on a little buying spree and purchased the following:
  • Klipsch RCR 5's to complete 7.1 setup
  • Speakercraft AIM 8 Three for dining room
  • 2 pair Klipsch AW 650 for deck
  • Audiosource Amp 250 for deck speakers
  • Sima SSW 6HP 2 source 6 pair selector
  • 1 Y connector
  • 1 A-B source switch

The y connector will split the signal from Outlaw MultiZone between 2 channels on the Adcom GFA 7607 and the Audiosource Amp 250. The Audiosource signal will power the deck, the Adcom will power the dining room and the Back surrounds L-R from the Outlaw. Next down the chain the SIMA SSW 6HP will allow me to choose between Dining Room and Deck or both. Because of the A-B switch I cannot use the Back Surround and Dining Room simultaneously, nor do I want to. (Any time I am using BS I will be in the main entertainment room to enjoy!) The Sima allows me to have any comination that does not involve BS signal! I am thinking of it this way, The MultiZone is A on the A-B switch and the BS is B. The Adcom is Source 1 on the Sima and the Audiosource is source 2. On the Sima speaker set 1 would be 1-A Speaker set 2 would be 1-B and the other four would be from Amp 2, the Audiosource. Voila! The reason for the Audiosource amp is that I would rather put some of the load on an additional cheaper amp in case of meltdown. $1,700Adcom vs $260 Audiosource. The Adcom is 125w X 7 and the Audiosource is 80w X 2, which is plenty. I will, of course be using sufficient 12 gauge speaker wire and quality cables. I will not be putting this together right away as all the other equipment has not arrived yet. This setup is diagramed in a flowchart in MS Word if anyone would like to see. If you remove the nospam from the address below I will send FYI. Does anyone have any comment? Thanks again Gonk for getting me on the right track...I think!
nospam-vtpat@hotmail.com

#28404 - 12/30/05 04:57 PM Re: Unique Setup situation
gonk Offline
Desperado

Sounds like you've got it all worked out - I'll be curious to hear what you think of the system once it is all up and running.

#28405 - 01/18/06 08:32 PM Re: Unique Setup situation
Mike C Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well phase one is complete and all is well! Installed 2 pair of Speakercraft AIM Eight 3's, one in dining room right above dining table, other in bedroom. With the Sima SSW 6HP I have a choice of Adcom GFA 7607 (125 W) or Audiosource Amp 200 (80 W) to run them. In addition I obtained Speakercraft WS 750 for deck and Klipsch RCR 5's for Back Surround. They are not yet installed. The AIM Eight 3's are smooth and crisp at lower volumes but a little rough in the midranges on upper volumes. That is OK because these are speakers that are meant simply to bring music from main system into the other rooms at moderate volume. The amps run cool, no strain on >50' runs for both sets. If I cook the mains and run both other rooms at mid to higher volumes no visible strain on Adcom, haven't tried it with the Audiosource. The Sima performs impedance protection perfectly which is important because the Audiosource will not handle anything but 8 ohm. The Speakercraft allow for Frequency response adjustment for bass and/or treble of -3dB, flat or + 3dB.

For the heck of it I wired a pair for a couple of days to perform the Outlaw back surround duties and I was impressed with the additional fullness and feeling of envelopment from the additional channels. Unfortunately time, weather and busy work scene have kept me from completing the project. The all house audio is somewhat primitive as I have not installed wall plates for speaker volume controls and IR repeaters for the remotes. There are only two of us. However this is ongoing project that will continue. Since I have wireless 80211-g network throughout the house, including a wireless server (Sony laptop)with Rhapsody and many high bit rate MP3s available thru the network I am waiting to see how all this comes together.
In the meantime I will be adding a LFM 1 sub to the main. Look for me there also as this project continues!
Mike

My humble system:

Amplification: Adcom GFA-7607
Pre-Pro: Outlaw 950
Added A/V Switching: Audio Authority 1154
DVD: Sony DVPNC665
CD: Yamaha DVD-C900
DirecTV: RCA DRD486RH
DVD-R: Panasonic DMR E85
VCR: ProscanPSVR64
Main Speakers: Klipsch KLF 10
Surround: Klipsch RS-3
Back Surround: Klipsch RCR 5
Center: Klipsch RC-3
Music Server: Netgear MP 101
Laptop Server: Sony Vaio PRV 680
Soundcard: Creative Extigy & Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
36“ TV: Toshiba 36A41 (nonHD)
Entertainment Center: Bello WU 2100
Cables / Connectors Banana Plugs: Monster / AR / Impact Accoustics
Power Strips: Monster HT S850, Smartstrip LCG 3
Clock: Howard Miller Rosewood
Speaker selector/impedance protection: SIMA SSW6HP
Audiosouce Amp 200 - sacrificial lamb
Coming Soon....Outlaw LFM 1

Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts