Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28305 - 09/20/05 02:58 AM Another 950 victory...and...(help) my new universal player may suck..
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
Make the best of this conveluted story....

Within the last couple months I got both a Samsung HD 950 universal DVD player and a new-ish (read used but mint) set of B&W 604s3's. After finally getting around to getting some critical listening in I can determine a signifigant difference between the 950 and....uh...the 950 as far as analog goes.

Here's the comparo...

I have the Sammy hooked up with both a coax and multi-channel analog. I set the mains to large with no sub in both the Outlaw and the Sammy. I then toggled between the coax input and the bypass on the Outlaw. Big freakin' difference!

Digital or coax = Deeper mid & deep bass. Wider and deeper soundstage. Richer mids and a bit more extended highs.

The bypass, or straight anolog feed from the Sammy, sounded a bit more constrained. The mid bass and deep bass was definately lacking. I thought, for a bit, that the Sammy may just be presenting a more accurate image with tighter midrange and bass representation, but after some repeated switching, I definately heard a greater extention in the mids and lower range. The upper end confirmed this on all tracks. Much more detailed and effortless.

So what I'm now left wondeing is if an inexpensive universal player will reproduce less impressive sound in multi-channel formats than stereo sound through the Outlaw. Unfortunatley I don't have enough multi-channel discs (just Pink Foyd DSOTM), or experiance with the format, to make a determination about Sammy multi-channel vs. Outlaw stereo, but still....I'm left wondering.

I don't know anything about the particular internal components of the Sammy 950 vs. the Outlaw 950 but it seems to me that the guts of the Outlaw are still out-performing even the latter-day mid-range sources (yeah, that's a pretty sweeping statement, I know).

I know I did prefer the processing of the 950 DAC's to my previous Denon DVD 900 player over the now replaced Infinity IL30's.

So I guess the point of this post is part question(s), as put forth above, and part justification. I still think the 950 is a great piece of transparant equipment that is only revealing itself more with better equipment downstream (new mains baby!).

My big 'ol $.02, IMHO, and what not....

#28306 - 09/20/05 05:05 PM Re: Another 950 victory...and...(help) my new universal player may suck..
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
congrats on the 604s,i'd love a pair but they are not necessary in this room.my 601s(s1) do just fine(with my sub) smile

#28307 - 09/21/05 01:50 PM Re: Another 950 victory...and...(help) my new universal player may suck..
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
Thanks. I don't think they were necessary for my room either, but they sure do sound nice.

I probably should have gone with bookshelves due to the furniture issue (woofers are below the arms of a chair and loveseat). But with all the open areas in the room I thought the floorstanders were good insurance laugh

#28308 - 09/21/05 03:25 PM Re: Another 950 victory...and...(help) my new universal player may suck..
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
that's my thing,unless i get rid of the couch,woofers on one tower would be blocked,602s are on the wish list.home upgrades are on hold till truck stereo is built(again).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts