Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2828 - 09/16/02 02:33 PM HT newbie needs help
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: on the water
I'm setting up my first HT and want to know how the Marantz sr4200 and 5200 compare against the 1050(presently own Marantz 4120, which I'm quite happy with for 2 channel.) Also, have questions as to if I go to 6.1 and presently don't have a center rear speaker is there a setting to play in 5.1 until I aquire a center rear and rewiring room? Spousal negoc. in progress!!!

What is the deal with dipole speakers, importance of, and the corrrect use of? Paradigm pimps them highly in their literature but neither of the Paradigm dealers here tried to sell them to me.

On another tangent my two year old has rendered my 3 year old DVD player inoperatable. The repair person said that the lasers(and lens?) have a limited life on DVD players and not to spend more than $150 on a new one. Is there any truth to this?? I asked this at the local Paradigm dealer and he looked like I'd shot his dog and took quite a time to formulate an answer. Which leaves me leaning towards that it is true.

Toshiba- Cinema series 36 in.--pre-Digital/HDTV ready :~(
Paradigm -Atoms, fronts
Paradigm- CC170(most likely)
Polk-PSW350
Paradigm- rears to be decided between Atoms(own already) and ADP170s

Thanks, from a HT newbie

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited September 16, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited November 13, 2002).]

#2829 - 09/16/02 04:00 PM Re: HT newbie needs help
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
RE: Your tangent topic DVD player life span.

I can tell you that my experience is that what you were told might be true. My Sony DVP-S560D died after approx 14 months. I did some research on various news groups and found that many people are referring to this as the 560 syndrome. I then found that other Sony players have the same issue. I was told by a Sony repair tech that the lasers eventually have alignment problems and it would cost $150 to repair. Of course since many new players cost less than that I decided to just purchase a new one. I appears at least with Sony DVD players that this fact is true.

I would suspect that this does not have to be the case just that the manner in which many consumer electronics are made these days leads to a somewhat limited life span. One positive side effect of this limited life span however is that it "Spousal negoc" as you put it for a new DVD player with all the latest features becomes much easier when the existing player has died.

#2830 - 09/16/02 04:47 PM Re: HT newbie needs help
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. That explains the circular non-answer I recieved on this question.

I going to hold on Spousal negoc. after HT for a year or so to get the HDTV. I don't think she'll believe that the two year old $1800 tv is obsolete already. Need more HD broadcasting before I start in on wearing her down.

#2831 - 09/16/02 04:55 PM Re: HT newbie needs help
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Some people here in the forum have found the Marantz receivers to be pretty good competition for the 1050, and there have been a number of posts on the subject - try this one first , then maybe this one , and this one (some stuff that may interest you starting a little way down the thread, looking specifically at Marantz).

The best bet for setting the 1050 up without a center rear speaker is to tell the 1050 that you have one but never enable the "Surround 6.1" mode so that it is never used (there are a few discs -- Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park III, and Atlantis -- that have some bad flag coding that upsets many receivers, but the 1050 will work fine if it thinks it has a center rear speaker).

Dipole speakers are intended to simulate the multiple sidewall surround speakers in a movie theater. They aren't essential, and some people prefer regular speakers for surround duty. I have been very pleased with my Paradigm surrounds (Studio/ADP's). May want to try to do a little listening test -- your Paradigm dealer should be able to set something up, although it may take some coaxing depending on the dealer.

Like Desperado, I've heard a little about laser and lens problems with some players. There are not a lot of players that I would invest $150 of repairs in, since good new players have gotten so inexpensive -- especially if you are like me and have a standard-definition TV, making progressive scan pointless.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2832 - 09/16/02 06:26 PM Re: HT newbie needs help
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks!!! gonk. Will you ever divulge how you keep up with, manage, and find so much info?

I'm moving into new construction that has the family room prewired. The surrounds are mounted on the back wall, not to the side of the "listening stage." Additionally, the prewires are about ten feet up. Any idea if the ADPs or Atoms would be better for this arrangement? I'm guessing the Atoms on a swivel bracket are going to function better in this set up.

Also, after reading all those links(thank you again, gonk) I've decided to give the 1050 a try. Easy of use(it would be great if my wife could use it) and bass mangement(watching movies after the kids go to bed) being a couple of the top reasons.

#2833 - 09/16/02 06:55 PM Re: HT newbie needs help
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Q-man: For DVD, the 1050 is excellent, especially in the price range, and also especially for 6.1. The Outlaws and the folks in this forum are top notch! In the end though, I ended up with a Marantz to get PLII for music, TV, and VHS. It was the right move for me. I gritted my teeth and jumped up to the SR7200 for additional features and power. More bucks, but right for me. I recommend 6.1 (you'll probably get a center rear speaker sometime). If you don't need PLII, the 1050 is tough to beat for $500+.

#2834 - 09/16/02 06:58 PM Re: HT newbie needs help
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

Q-man: A DVD note: I took the advice of some others in this forum to try a Panasonic DVD player. They suggested getting one with DVD Audio. I did and I'm very happy with it.

#2835 - 09/17/02 12:21 AM Re: HT newbie needs help
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

I've been thinking more about this laser life span issue while looking at my CD player. How different are DVD players lasers and lens from CD players? We(I) don't hear of limited life on CD player lasers. This thinking now makes lean toward urban legend status for limited life of DVD lasers.

Since, I don't need progessive scan there seems to be many choices of DVD players in the hundred dollar neighborhood. I been reading good things about Samsung in addition to the Panasonics. I never had problems with my Toshiba until it got toddlerized.

#2836 - 09/17/02 12:42 AM Re: HT newbie needs help
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Mayor D, I'm too much of a newbie to know what PL II is as opposed Pro Logic and its use. It seems important for VHS but not DVD???? Not a VHS guy. I'm trying to build on budget to make wife happy.

This system will be 95% +++ for music. It is hard to watch anything over PG with a toddler in the house. I hadn't realized how graphic regular TV has gotten until looking at it from a stand point of do I want my two year old to see this. Even the "family" channels are full of gun play. The hardest part is commercials for mature themed TV shows. Those CSI promos come on all the time during all kinds of shows.

#2837 - 09/17/02 08:43 AM Re: HT newbie needs help
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
Q-man,
I've also heard about the DVD laser problem. I know for a fact that they go out of alignment. I don't know about a "limited lifespan" per se, but they do go out of whack. There are laser alignment tools on the market for the DIY'er to maintain his/her own equipment. I tend to agree with your repair guy who advised against spending more than $150 to fix 'em. They've become nearly disposable. Not the high end ones...the majority of the mass market ones.
It doesn't sound like dipole speakers would best suit your set up. They are designed to be on the side walls, and actually have 2 sets of drivers. One faces front, the other faces rear. There is a null at the listening position. The drivers produce sound which is then "bounced off" the front and rear walls to give a more diffused sound. Dipole vs. direct seems to be one of the "hotter" topics in home theater. Some people love 'em, others hate 'em.
I think the Atoms on swivel brackets on your rear wall is a great place to start !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts