Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28200 - 06/07/05 12:15 AM 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
Ender Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY
I love the unit, but certain things are geting frustrating, maybe im doing something wrong...
1st the most important thing is my coax is not responding at all....I picked PCM from the dvd menu on the dvd player and accordingly switched the input in the 950 to coax...nothing!
and yes i dont have the coax & optical hooked up at the same time.

secondly the remote wont learn any commands...after I program Tv input on the remote, theres no button on it that switchs my TV's inputs and I cant seem to make the remote learn TV video switching...the channel button doesnt even work, Im following the learning instructions but no dice
also when i hit one of the device buttons on the remote, another device turns on! maybe because they are labeled video 1-3 as well
I just got the outlaw second hand, maybe the problem lies within that, i.e. another users settings, thanks

#28201 - 06/07/05 07:47 AM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Set the DVD player to bitstream (or raw), not PCM - setting it to PCM will cause the player to downmix every digital output to stereo, making it essentially the same as using the stereo analog outputs.

As for the remote, are you using preprogrammed codes or are you manually learning everything? If you are using codes, you may want to keep in mind the fact that only the video2 button (the one also labeled TV) will use the TV button code database by default - unless it's been overriden to use a different database by the previous owner. You might try learning commands directly, which will also let you put things like TV input buttons exactly where you want them. Also, I always recommend that 950 owners who are using the provided remote take a minute to download the SL-9000 remote manual (available near the bottom of this page ) - it gives much more information on how to make full use of the remote's capabilities.

#28202 - 06/08/05 12:16 AM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
Ender Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, In the short time Ive been a member here Ive noticed how dedicated to helping people you are, Thanks for your help
keep up the good work!
but I have tried the dvd on Bitstream, Ill try once more just in case...thanks & i'll report back here again

#28203 - 06/08/05 01:26 PM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
Ender Offline
Gunslinger

No I am pretty sure Im not getting anything from the coax...could it be the dvd player isnt compatable?
also if the remote is preprogrammed to device then you cannot learn any buttons on top of that? will I need to reset the input and just do everything manually?

#28204 - 06/08/05 01:49 PM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
gonk Offline
Desperado

Hmmm... OK, let's step through this and make sure everything is set up correctly. First, the DVD player needs to be set to bitstream (or raw, which is what my Oppo calls it) for all formats. Next, the 950 needs to be set to the digital audio input that the player is connected to (make sure you aren't connecting to coax1 and selecting coax2, for instance). Since the 950 was purchased used, let's also make sure the format lock wasn't turned on by the previous owner. This is covered in page 31 of the manual, but basically you want to hold down a surround mode button (we can use Dolby Digital for this) for five seconds until "DATA FORMAT: ___" appears on the bottom line of the 950's display. Make sure the format is set to "AUTO" there so that it can auto-detect the incoming signal and behave appropriately. Now try both a DVD and a CD and let us know what the display each time it receives a new signal. The top right portion of the display will list the format type (PCM for CD's, DOLBY D for Dolby Digital, DTS for DTS 5.1, or DTS-ES Dscret for DTS ES). The bottom line should say "INPUT TYPE:" on the bottom left and then list the format of the incoming signal - examples would include "48K" for CD's, "3/2.1" for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, "2/0.0" for Dolby 2.0, or "3/3.1" for DTS ES.

As for the remote, even if it is preprogrammed with a code, you can learn commands to buttons on top of the code. I prefer to learn commands manually for most things when using universal remotes - things like transport controls and numbers typically land in the right places with preprogrammed codes, but other stuff can often wind up in places that seem a bit random.

#28205 - 06/11/05 02:12 AM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
Ender Offline
Gunslinger

All these things fixed, happy to say...Outlaw got a customer for life now smile

#28206 - 06/11/05 11:06 AM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
was it gonk's help or did you call customer service???
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#28207 - 06/11/05 01:18 PM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
Ender Offline
Gunslinger

A little of both, but the coax cable was broken, too bad it was a xlo/vdo cable frown
but Im happy it was resolved
the remote is pretty much programmed except when I go to turn the power off on the preamp, it suffles through some settings, I have to get that button back some how

also when the off button worked my preamp triggered the amps on but couldnt turn them off, maybe I have the wrong wire? maybe its a stereo wire instead of mono?

#28208 - 06/11/05 01:36 PM Re: 950 - Minor annoying issues Plz help
gonk Offline
Desperado

Was zone 2 turned on? I seem to remember that the trigger would keep amps on if zone 2 was active.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts