Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28107 - 05/04/05 10:54 AM 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Roland Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lanesville, IN USA
Guys:
I have just purchased a 950 and 3 more M200s to match up with the 3 M200s I already owned. The 950 is the first processor I have owned that can switch component video (previously using a Yamaha RX V995 as processor). The problem I am running into is that my HTPC video via a DB15 breakout cable to component running 1280X720p is not passing to the front projector. It worked fine using a KVM switch previously. The Dish 811 passes 1280X720p fine through the 950 on the Video1 input (HTPC is on the DVD component in). Any ideas as to what might be happening? BTW, the HTPC was DB15 all the way from the video card (Radeon 9500 Pro) through the KVM to the projector previously. When using the KVM I used a breakout cable from the Dish 811 to go from component to DB15 and then into the KVM.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Ed

#28108 - 05/04/05 11:06 AM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Ed - did you connect the PC direct to the projector with the breakout cable to see if that works? That cable being bad would be the first culprit I'd investigate, since all other specs seem equal to your dish unit.

I'm assuming that the cable is db15 to RGB only (and not the 5 connector RGBHV, not using the HV connectors), since that's the connector you'd need.

#28109 - 05/04/05 11:12 AM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Roland Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Sluggo:
Thanks for the response. I am not able to connect that directly due to distance issues, however the breakout cable I am using is the same unit I was using for the dish previously so the entire path (minus the 950 and the breakout cable that takes the component back to DB15 ) is made up of tried and true components. I know the new breakout cable that takes the component back to DB15 is working because the Dish HD signal is going through it. Since I just set this up yesterday I need to do more troubleshooting although I have checked connections already and they seem to be correct. One thing I haven't tried is switching the 811 and the HTPC inputs to the 950, that would help isolate the problem.

BTW, yes I am only doing RGB, no H or V.

Thanks,
Ed

#28110 - 05/05/05 02:46 PM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Roland Offline
Gunslinger

This is what I have found out and posted on AVS (HTPC) forum today. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Ed

"Switching HTPC VGA out through a Pre-Pro component Switch

I recently purchased an Outlaw 950 Pre-pro. Up until now I have switched the HTPC and the HD output of a Dish 811 video through a KVM (the component out of the 811 converted to DB15 using a breakout cable) and sent the signal onto an Infocus X1 VGA input using a DB15 cable. Since the 950 has component video switching I wanted to eliminate the KVM and use the 950 to determine the signal going to the X1. I moved the breakout cable to the HTPC’s VGA output (Radeon 9500 Pro) and connected the component end of the breakout cable to the component DVD input of the 950. I connected the Dish 811 component out directly to the Video 1 component input of the 950. Using a newly purchased breakout cable, I connected the component end to the component monitor output of the 950 and the DB15 end to the DB15 cable going to the X1 VGA input. This solution works fine for the 811 but the X1 does not see the video signal from the HTPC in this configuration (both the HTPC and the 811 are set to output 1280X720p). To troubleshoot I pulled the 950 out of the loop, directly connecting the breakout cables using RCA couplings, the X1 still did not see the video signal from the HTPC. I then eliminated the breakout cables and connected the DB15 from the X1 VGA input directly to the HTPC, this works fine. Why doesn’t the HTPC work using the breakout cable. It seems to me the HTPC VGA out> breakout cable>950 switching>breakout cable>DB15>VGA input of the X1 configuration should act basically like a series of jumpers. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed"

#28111 - 05/05/05 03:19 PM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Just for clarification, Dish to 950 to Radeon (via breakout cable A) works fine. HTPC to 950 (via breakout cable B) to Radeon (via cable A) does not. HTPC to Radeon using jumpers to bypass 950 (with cable B on PC and cable A on Radeon) does not. HTPC direct with single cable (third cable, neither A nor B) does.

It looks to me like the breakout cable from the PC to the 950 (cable B) may be suspect. Have you tried taking the known working configuration of Dish to 950 to Radeon and subbing in Cable B for Cable A? If it goes from working to not, you've found your culprit.

#28112 - 05/05/05 10:40 PM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Roland Offline
Gunslinger

Owl's_Warder:
Thanks for the reply. I checked the cable and it is good. The problem apparently lies in useing a breakout cable with the VGA out of the Radeon 9500 pro. It may be that it is using RGBHV and not just RGB, I don't know yet but I am still researching it.
Thanks,
Ed

#28113 - 05/06/05 01:58 AM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Roland - That last was the key info, that the direct connect to the proj over the adaptor cables didn't work.

Did a little digging at ATI, and I found this manual on ATI's website that details using an ATI component video adapter for card connection to HDTVs. From the look of it, this adapter is required due to the various dip switch settings on the item to properly set the outgoing image.

Looks like you're in for some complicated work either way you go...best of luck.

#28114 - 05/06/05 08:22 AM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Roland Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Sluggo:
Yes, I was aware of the ATI dongle but my thinking was that I was'nt truly trying to use component into the X1, I was using DB15 but simply switching the 6 wires that make up the RGB through the 950. Essentially I came out of the Radeon 9500 VGA port converted the connections to component switched them through the 950, took the component back to DB15 and on to the 950. Apparently there is a difference between what the Radeon 9500 VGA connection puts out and what a standard component connection to the Dish 811 puts out although they can both run on DB15 (if the 811 connection is converted by a simple breakout cable)but the Radeon must require more that 6 connections (3 pairs of RCA).

But thanks for taking the time to look into it Sluggo, I appreciate it.

Ed

#28115 - 05/06/05 11:16 AM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Ok, so I'm an idiot. Sorry, I was just re-reading this thread and I suppose my earlier post must read to you like I'm on crack or something :rolleyes: . I got lost in the equipment desrciptions so just substitute the word X1 in my previous posting whenever you see the word Radeon. Sorry! Anyway, the point was the cable which you seem to have excluded.

I was just thinking about something, though. It seems like a lot of this headache could be avoided if you're not dead set on that video card in the PC. A quick search showed up several video cards supporting component outputs. Maybe that's an easier solution.

#28116 - 05/06/05 02:25 PM Re: 950 Switching HTPC video via component connection
Roland Offline
Gunslinger

Owl's_Warder:
I got the gist of what you were asking and you were correct, from the info I had given you could not know if the cable was good. I truly appreciate your interest. I have done some more digging and found a thread on AVS that spoke about a patch to allow the PC to output component video. I was able to get this to work for the desktop and everything was going great until I started Theater Tek (DVD Player Software). It appears that TT will not play through component but I am not yet certain of that. I have the question on the TT forum now. I will keep anyone interested here posted.

Thanks again!
Ed

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts