Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28103 - 05/02/05 08:30 AM Analog vs. Digital connection for stereo
avlis Offline
Gunslinger

I’ve had my system running for a few weeks now and have started to tinker around a bit. One observation I made over the weekend is the difference in sound between the analog and digital outputs on my DVD player when listening to CDs.

I had been watching DVD movies & listening to a lot of vinyl over the weeks and decided to give some CDs a whirl. I have a 4-year-old Panasonic DVD changer using the optical output. The 950 set to 2-channel stereo mode. I guess I had started to get used to the sound of the record player and “stereo bypass” mode because my CDs were coming through somewhat muffled by comparison. Cymbals faded into the background and the whole thing sounded more 2-dimensional.

I decided to try the analog output of the DVD player plugged into an extra 950 input and “stereo bypass” mode. This way I could switch between the optical and analog connections.

I notice a definite improvement with the analog connection and bypassing the 950’s processor. This struck me as odd after reading posts here that the 950’s A/D converter is usually of better quality than a run-of-the-mill DVD or CD player’s chip. Are my results typical or are my ears playing tricks on me?
Auralex MoPADs & GRAMMA

#28104 - 05/02/05 02:54 PM Re: Analog vs. Digital connection for stereo
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by avlis:
... I have a 4-year-old Panasonic DVD changer using the optical output. The 950 set to 2-channel stereo mode ...

I decided to try the analog output of the DVD player plugged into an extra 950 input and "stereo bypass" mode ... I notice a definite improvement with the analog connection and bypassing the 950’s processor...
I also have a Panasonic DVD / DVD-A player (Panasonic RP91), and use the Outlaw 950 Stereo Bypass Mode for all two channel music listening. My observations are similar to yours. Bypass Mode is significantly better, which seems to imply that the Panasonic DAC's and/or circuits are superior.

The RP91 also can upsample CD's to 88.2 kHz/24bit before converting to analog output. I believe this feature smoothes out higher frequencies (less strident than the unconverted signal) coming from this player.

The new Outlaw 990 has an upsampling feature, so I am interested to learn how it performs on CD's relative to the Stereo Bypass Mode. Using the digital input would allow full use of the base management features, which would be a real advantage. So, if there are any Gunslingers or Outlaws that have evaluated the digital upsample performance of the 990, please share your observations. Thanks ... smile

Allan

#28105 - 05/06/05 01:52 AM Re: Analog vs. Digital connection for stereo
grfxguy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
This correlates with my experience as well. I have a Yamaha DVD-C940 SACD changer connected to my 950 via optical (for DVDs), 2 CH analog, and 6 CH analog (for SACD). When listening to standard CDs, the bypass is definitely better with cleaner sound and more detail.
Klipsh Synergy 8.5s in rear
Velodyne CT-150 sub
Pioneer Elite Pro-520HD 52"
Yamaha DVD-C940 changer
Lite-ON LVW-5005 DVD recorder
Samsung SIR-T451 HD Tuner
Monster Power HTS3500

#28106 - 08/20/05 11:54 AM Re: Analog vs. Digital connection for stereo
krisZS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
[/QUOTE]I also have a Panasonic DVD / DVD-A player (Panasonic RP91), and use the Outlaw 950 Stereo Bypass Mode for all two channel music listening. My observations are similar to yours. Bypass Mode is significantly better, which seems to imply that the Panasonic DAC's and/or circuits are superior.

The RP91 also can upsample CD's to 88.2 kHz/24bit before converting to analog output. I believe this feature smoothes out higher frequencies (less strident than the unconverted signal) coming from this player.

[/QUOTE]

I have the same setup, but I prefer the DAC's on the 950. I think the digital bass management of the 950 makes the difference in my case. The bass using the analog bypass sounds muddy.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts