Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27908 - 03/16/05 03:10 PM I'm thinking about a 950...
Roger Ramjet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
I'm considering the purchase of a 950. One of the attractive features is the 5 yr warranty. I'd be curious to know a bit more about the reliability of these units. Also, if anyone has needed warranty work, how did it go?

Does this mean I'm getting old? The fact that I seem more concerned about the warranty than the performance? This approach could lead one to purchase a Hyundai over a Porsche. Scary.

Thanks.
Roger

#27909 - 03/16/05 03:15 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Nah, you're not getting old until you worry if you will live long enough to still be around when the warranty expires!

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#27910 - 03/16/05 04:34 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Nice long warranties are definitely a plus, no matter how old you are. smile

The reliability of Outlaw's equipment in my home has been excellent, and based on what I see in this forum I think my experience is typical. I've remarked in the past on this forum about the percentage of owners who appear online to report problems versus the percentage who post here without problems - the logic being that forums such as this act as a magnifying glass for problems because people with a complaint or bad experience are more likely to log in and post about it than people who have completely satisfactory experiences. (Call it the "squeaky wheel" principle...) The other significant sources of forum traffic would of course be people such as yourself who are considering purchasing the equipment and current owners who have questions about how things work (how to set up this feature or connect that component). If we assume that logic to be sound, then the fact that number of reports of defects and failures that we see in this forum is so low - particularly compared to posts from perspective buyers and the day-to-day user questions - would suggest that the actual failure rate is extremely low. It's good stuff, which is why Outlaw can safely offer such long warranties.

In the unlikely event that something does go wrong, then you would be working with Outlaw's customer service department, and that group of folks is very serious about getting such problems fixed quickly and with a minimum of pain all around.

#27911 - 03/16/05 04:38 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
What is more important than the length of a warranty is the manufacturer's dedication to backing up that warranty.

Based on the postings I've seen on this forum (and personal experience), Outlaw Audio is VERY serious about supporting its hardware and its customers.

#27912 - 03/16/05 05:40 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
Roger Ramjet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have seen some information indicating that Outlaw is coming out with a new 7.1 processor sometime soon. Does anyone know if this will be an additional product sold alongside the 950, or will it replace the 950?

Thanks.
Roger

#27913 - 03/16/05 06:48 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
I don’t know if “soon” is the right term, to use. There has been talk about a new preamp/processor coming out some time this year, but I would not count on it being “soon”. After all the heat the Outlaws took during the introduction of the 950 I don’t think we will see anything until they are absolutely, positively, one hundred percent sure that the new preamp/processor is perfect.

#27914 - 03/16/05 07:11 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Outlaw Audio's customer service can not be beat. You won't go wrong. If you can wait though, I would definitely hold out for Pro Logic IIx. I think I read that the new Outlaw will have it(?). I currently have this feature with my Sherwood Pre/Pro and it is terrific.

#27915 - 03/17/05 01:18 AM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Roger:

Take the new processor information with a grain of salt. Certainly, the Outlaws will come out with a new pre/pro in the future. It almost certainly will have the latest decoding algorithms. However, it will also most likely be considerably more expensive than the current pricing on the 950.

If you think an indefinite wait plus another $500-$1000 (pure guesswork on my part) is worth it to get PLIIx (I don't) THEN you might consider holding out for whatever the Outlaws release next. (Recognizing, of course, that there will be other new features in addition to the latest decoding software.)

#27916 - 03/17/05 10:35 AM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
Roger Ramjet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Honestly, I am not interested in the 7.1 processor. I'm more concerned that they discontinue the 950 before I get around to buying it. My MO has always been to live on the "trailing edge" of technology. I waited until AC-3 was out before I bought my Pro Logic processor (for peanuts). I bought my basic AC-3 processor after DTS and the enhanced versions were hitting the street (also for peanuts). Each upgrade was just as exciting for me, even if it was 3-4 years after most people first got the thrill.

I actually have a HK receiver with 7.1 cabability in my family room, the "B system". It has PLII (I'm not sure about the "x") and DTS-ES and pre-outs for all channels. If I really wanted 7.1, I guess I could move it downstairs and hook it up. I'm not sure how the processors compare with those in the 950.

#27917 - 03/17/05 11:02 AM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
gonk Offline
Desperado

It sounds like the Model 950 would be an excellent fit for you. It really is a nice piece of equipment, and the recent price drop makes it an even better deal than it was before.

I've said elsewhere that I suspect we might see a new processor around the fall of this year, possibly later, but that's based solely on supposition rather that any real data. Figure my estimate is plus or minus six or eight months?

#27918 - 03/17/05 11:17 AM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Quote:
If you think an indefinite wait plus another $500-$1000 (pure guesswork on my part) is worth it to get PLIIx (I don't) THEN you might consider holding out for whatever the Outlaws release next.

I don't know if you have heard PLIIx but it is definitely worth it for me...BUT...not for Roger. The 950 sounds wonderful and it is such a bargain. High quality and value without all the latest gizmos and whistles that you don't need or want anyway. Run, don't walk ,and get that 950 ! :p

#27919 - 03/17/05 11:39 AM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
Roger Ramjet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

What got me going in this direction...last week I purchased a used Adcom GTP-760 off of Ebay for $450. I thought it sounded fantastic (again, compared to what I had). Unfortunately, there was an intermitteant buzz that I could not cure. Fortunately, the seller was very cool, and agreed to take it back without any hassle.

After hearing how much better EVERTHING sounded with the Adcom, I knew there was no turning back to the "cheapo" Sony EDP800. Unfortunately, my "accountant" isn't fully on board with this yet. I may need to have my "partner" talk to her. He's only 6...but very persuasive!

#27920 - 03/17/05 12:57 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Keep in mind that Pro Logic IIx is not significantly different from the Pro Logic II included on the Model 950 - the only difference is that PL IIx offers 7.1 instead of the 5.1 produced by PL II or the 6.1 (with a mono surround back signal) produced by the combination of PL II and Cirrus Extra Surround on the 950.

#27921 - 03/17/05 05:29 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

It sounds significantly different. Truly, it makes a very nice upgrade in my home theater at least as far as the Sherwood P-965 presents it.

#27922 - 03/17/05 10:50 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
I have a 5.1 setup, for me, the 950 lacks only flexible bass management (I know you can purchase the ICBM) and video upconversion (which I would like). How is the 80Hz crossover for bass management on DVD-Audio and SACD? My towers are rated to 40Hz, so 80Hz seems high.

#27923 - 03/17/05 11:18 PM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il

#27924 - 03/18/05 09:29 AM Re: I'm thinking about a 950...
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
If you are not interested in 7.1 go for the 950. I do agree with Wingnut that PLIIx sounds significantly different, and IMO better than CES.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts