Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#27674 - 02/12/05 06:12 PM Setting up my new system
Peterhdds Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NYC
Hello. I received my 950 this week, and have been staring at it for the past 5 days, wondering what it would be like to have my 7100. Bet they think its funny to send the amp a few days later...
Well, finally today my amp arrived, and I am ready to set up my rack. I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on the order of placement of the components. I have a 5' Marshall commercial rack with middle atlantic rack shelves. I have some vented face plate spacers, and some solid face plate spacers...
The following are my current components...
1. Furman power conditioner
2. Outlaw 950
3. Sony Tivo 2
4. SA Explorer 3100HD cable box
5. Polk Audio XRT-12 XM tuner
6. Sony CD changer
7. Sony DVD
8. Outlaw 7100 amp

What I am asking is, do I need to take anything into consideration when putting the components into the rack..In other words, I have the power conditioner at the top...should I have a spacer in before I put the next component, and are there better orders to stack the components than others? ex. keep the amp at the bottom...don't put the pre/pro right under the power conditioner..etc. Thanks.

#27675 - 02/12/05 06:39 PM Re: Setting up my new system
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
More will chime in here but I believe you will want the 7100 amp at the top or the area that will allow those vents to...well VENT the most...I know, you saw the pictures as did I of the 950 on top of the 7100 and said...I can do that...well, with heat the enemy of electronics...give that 7100 breathing room...(I don't have mine set up in a rack yet...got mine in January!)
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#27676 - 02/12/05 06:52 PM Re: Setting up my new system
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
ventilation is a big factor for the amp,if possible put heavy components on the bottom for stability.i'm not sure about conditioner placement,but convenience is a factor:don't put the dvd on the bottom then you have to bend down to change dvds,same for cd,vcr,etc.also if cable length is a factor the central positioning of the 950 may be necessary(i have 2 pairs of 1/2 meter,so i arranged accordingly)

#27677 - 02/12/05 06:59 PM Re: Setting up my new system
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Definitely make sure the power amp has room above it to breath. I believe that the manual recommends at least two to three inches above the amp. Also, leaving the back off the rack simplifies wiring and improves ventilation if you can do it. Other components will also benefit from a bit of space above them (the Model 950, cable box, and possibly TiVo).

I have my amp at the bottom of the rack. There are a couple of benefits to this: it makes it easier to keep the speaker cables separated from interconnects (thereby reducing the chance of picking up noise in interconnects from the higher level signals in the speaker cables), and it gives the amp a cooler environment (heat rises, and heat from components below would lead to warmer air entering the amp). The power conditioner is not a significant heat source (at least mine isn't), but I try to arrange it so that the power cords can be isolated from interconnects easily.

#27678 - 02/12/05 07:03 PM Re: Setting up my new system
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
good point on the separation of of cables and such,i forgot.i even found that having my amp on the bottom with the rack next to my tv stand that the corner of the crt discolored which i assumed was from the magnetic field of the amp(90's b&k) moving it away solved the problem.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts