Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#27652 - 02/15/05 07:33 PM Re: Crossover scam
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
I’ve tested my center channel response with all other channels muted (I have a device to do this) except for subwoofer and the signal below crossover point (60 Hz in my case) is redirected to subwoofer. The transition was smooth. At least that’s what I’ve noticed from my 950 and CC speaker.

#27653 - 02/15/05 08:26 PM Re: Crossover scam
Bandit Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New Orleans, LA
With all this confusion, my Sony is starting to look a lot better as a pre. Sounds like Outlaw is giving you a lot more flexability as you CAN set a crossover when set to large or small, I can't, I can only Xover on small!

Here's an idea, send it back for repair?? They can't deny you that, it could be a relay or something not working, everybody else's seem to working fine.

#27654 - 02/15/05 08:40 PM Re: Crossover scam
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Sounds like Outlaw is giving you a lot more flexability as you CAN set a crossover when set to large or small, I can't, I can only Xover on small!
I think you have misunderstood the way that bass management works. Any time you set a speaker to "large" (no matter whether it's an Outlaw, a Sony, or anybody else), you are no longer using a crossover with that speaker. If the receiver or pre/pro allows the user to control the crossover point, that crossover control may still be listed in the menu (as is the case with the 950), but by definition a "large" speaker doesn't use that crossover.

Quote:
Here's an idea, send it back for repair??
I hope that Joel has already contacted Outlaw directly , and if he hasn't I would strongly suggest doing so. Their customer service will help evaluate the behavior he is seeing - if appropriate, they will repair or replace his unit.

#27655 - 02/15/05 09:50 PM Re: Crossover scam
Joel Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fishkill, NY
I really don't think there's anything to repair/replace. I don't believe my unit doing anything different than anyone else's. I don't understand the "everyone else's is working fine" statement. Has everyone use did the same kind of test I did? (It's not something you can just hear very easily).

I just think it's too costly to produce a chip with filters that sophisticated.

#27656 - 02/15/05 10:51 PM Re: Crossover scam
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
You still refuse to contact them? Why? Is there a real answer? I'm sorry, but everything you've said about why you won't is a very lame excuse. Talk to them. They would know better than any of us.

btw, we can't say that the crossovers don't work because the HP filters seem to work fine. They work as we expect and as the manual says. It's the LP redirection we don't understand, but we don't know for sure how Outlaw programed them. Everyone is making a guess. Some more educated than others.

I see you still haven't edited the title at all. Couldn't it be "Crossover Issue"? "Scam" is a rather strong and dangerous word to use against any company, especially so for an internet only one. It's also hard to justify when you refuse to talk to them.

Bandit, the crossovers are turned off for any speaker set to large. You can still see it and change the number, but it doesn't do anything. The speaker(s) set to large will play the full signal from that channel. The sub won't see any of that. The crossover only becomes active when the setting is switched to small. You can flip a gear selector on a car to anything you want, but it won't engage unless you let the clutch out.

#27657 - 02/15/05 11:29 PM Re: Crossover scam
Bandit Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I understand crossovers are turned off any speaker when set to large, what makes no sense is you can change it, but it doesn't do anything? Not arguing with you JT, but think about it... I just don't see why you build a sophisticated peice of equipment that has a setting you adjust, but no consequence or effect??

Besides, Joel's firt statement he emphasized the Xover settings, so I'm thinking how that plays into his situation, thanks for the clarification.

Them Outlaws must have been up late that night...LOL, no biggie.

I guess every designer has their preference.

#27658 - 02/16/05 12:05 AM Re: Crossover scam
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Because it cost more money to write the coding so that portion goes away. Outlaw's products are all about performance/dollar. There are a lot of little things that maybe they could have done, but chose not to because they went with the package they felt offered the best ratio. You're thinking too much. That's the problem. laugh

#27659 - 02/16/05 12:15 AM Re: Crossover scam
Bandit Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It's no problem.

#27660 - 02/16/05 03:04 AM Re: Crossover scam
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
JT- It's not a guess. I asked specifically after this review came out:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/SherbournPT-700072100p2.html

The way that the review describes the Sherbourn operation seems to be what Joel found. (For those that don't know, the Sherbourn is almost identical to the Outlaw.)

But Scott posted that all bass for that speaker (set) below the crossover is redirected to the sub. That however does not seem to be what is happening.

So at least at that time, I chose to believe Scott. (Assuming that the reviewer tested wrong.) I also know that Scott monitors these threads, so it would be interesting to hear him weigh in.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#27661 - 02/16/05 03:18 AM Re: Crossover scam
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
OK, I tried. smile Using the search function with "crossover bass management", I found this thread:

>> Cirrus Triple Crossover Issue? July 31, 2003 950 Feedback

Which most likely has the info I referenced above, but it's a dead link.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM